Menu

Penzeys Spices

I have seen Penzeys Spices mentioned several times. I was thinking about ordering some spices from them. I am not a very experienced cook, but I do make tacos from scratch so I was thinking about ordering some cumin and chili powder. What else should I get? Any recipes that are really easy if your order a few basics from Penzeys?

Jan

If you like Indian flavors, their curry powders are really good.

My husband puts their Black and Red seasoning on just about everything he eats. Their Florida Seasoning (fancy lemon pepper, basically) is great on vegetables.

I usually get all my baking spices from Penzey's (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc.), as well as cocoa and vanilla. I will admit to cheating on Penzey's with Trader Joe's, though, as their cocoa and vanilla are less expensive.

Oh, and Penzey's Tsardust Memories blend makes killer chicken soup.

The only thing I've disliked from Penzey's is their Fox Point seasoning, and it wasn't awful. Just kind of odd.

My faves blends: (I may mess up the names a bit, I am going off my memory)

Sandwich sprinkle-great on tuna

Sate-a smidge to a simple broth soup is a nice flavor enhancer

High Fat Cocoa Powder- I use it an a bit of sugar in my coffee each morning

Chicago Steak Seasoning-nice to add to burgers or to top a steak on the grill

Fajita-quick and easy seasoning for well...fajitas.

Taco- ditto

Mignonette Pepper-coriander and pepper mix-I like to toss this in many things and when I grind it a bit finer I like to add it to popcorn.

Parisian-lovely on grilled veggies

Jerk-pretty good blend for chicken

BBQ3000-I use on burgers

Penzey's items that are frequently used here:

Sandwich sprinkle- on sandwiches, pasta, eggs, in croutons, on avocado.

granulated garlic- used on nearly everything

Italian seasoning- on pasta, salads, etc- brightens the flavor. Oh, and of course we use it when making sauces like spaghetti sauce, lasagna, pizza, etc.

dried onion- use this a ton- in tuna/chicken salad, in sauces, etc.

Cinnamon- I really like the Vietnamese cinnamon.

Cocoa- Penzey's cocoa is strong and VERY good.

We have lots of other Penzey's items but these are the most used. We've tried lots of things that were ok, but that my family just didn't rave about.

We have lots of Penzey's stuff, but here are a couple we really like:

- Italian Sausage Seasoning (I just mix some in with ground turkey and add it to pasta sauce when I need a quick, tasty meat sauce.)

- Mural of Flavor (DH puts this on all kinds of stuff -- and it's salt free.)

I have seen Penzeys Spices mentioned several times. I was thinking about ordering some spices from them. I am not a very experienced cook, but I do make tacos from scratch so I was thinking about ordering some cumin and chili powder. What else should I get? Any recipes that are really easy if your order a few basics from Penzeys?

Jan

If you ever feel less creative, their taco seasoning is wonderful (and has no MSG or other yucky stuff like grocery store brands).

I buy their cocoa, baking spice, and vanilla and use them in everything! When you place an order they will send you their catalogs, which are full of recipes. I haven't purchased anything from them that I haven't been completely happy with.

They have that Vietnamese cinnamon that I like so much.

I like their kosher flaked salt a lot.

I also buy lavendar and Herbes De Provence from them--I use both from time to time in salad dressings.

I make salads like this: First I wash the greens, usually a mix of them, and dry them very thoroughly in a monster salad spinner (I have a great one from Pampered Chef). Then I mix up the salad dressing, in the bottom of the salad serving bowl. For a regular salad, I pour in about 1/8-1/4 cup of some kind of really good vinegar--red wine, balsamic, rice wine, apple cider. Then I sprinkle it with the dry herbs I want to use (always freshly mushed in a mortar and pestle), and a pinch or two of kosher flaked salt, and whisk them together. Good combos are:

Balsamic with a pinch of lavendar, two pinches of sugar, and a pinch of salt.

Rice wine with tarragon and dry mustard

Apple cider with Herbes de Provence and salt

Red wine with Herbes de Provence, Grey Poupon mustard, salt, and white pepper

Apple cider with oregano, basil, rosemary, salt, garlic powder, and dry mustard (great with Italien food)

Then after it's thoroughly blended I whisk in some olive oil, a little more than the amount of vinegar.

I put the salad greens into the bowl OVER the salad dressing. Then I put them in the fridge. Immediately before serving, I toss this to distribute the salad dressing. The greens never wilt in the dressing, the dressing is always fresh, and the salads are varied and popular. Plus I can do this in the morning and not eat it until evening and so I don't have to make it at the last minute. I have used fresh garlic on occasion, but I find it too sharp.

We like:

Aleppo Pepper

Sandwich Sprinkle

Vindaloo Seasoning

Tsardust Memories

Ozark Seasoning

Pizza Seasoning

I can't remember its exact name, but they have a toasted onion powder that is really amazing. It might be called Toasted Onion Powder...

Anyway, I get most of our herbs and spices from Penzey's actually. I refill my many spice jars from their bulk bags. Those are the ones I wouldn't want to live without that I can't buy from some other source locally.

Maharajah curry (Empty bowl in front of me right now:001_smile:)

Garam Masala

Tuscan Sunset

Adobo, Fajita & Taco

Chipotle Powder

Cinnamon

Aleppo Pepper

Foxpoint Blend

Singapore

California Basil

Baking or Cake Spice

Peppercorns

Pizza Seasoning

Fennel

Dried Shallots

Dried Bell Peppers (for when you run out of fresh)

Candied Ginger

The toasted onions make a great dip with sour cream and a little beef boullion powder.

There's more in the cabinet, but those are some of my flavorites.

Jan

Personally, I like their chili con carne spice better than their chili powder: think chili powder with a fresh splash of bell pepper.

The adobo herb/spice mix is my "secret" for Mexican cooking. A little bit in guac, people will hound you for the recipe. Enchiladas, ditto. I don't make tacos, but I bet it would work, too.

I put their mustard powder and white pepper in my mac and cheese. Again, I am begged to bring it to potlucks.

The French basil is out of the this world: put in nearly any tomato dish.

The "true cinnamon" is a real delight: in deserts, on toast, etc.

The smoked jalapenos are not hot unless you bite into them. If you put one whole into, say, black-eyed pea soup, you just give it a nice smokieness, if you don't happen to have a smoked ham hock on hand.

The Greek seasoning is good rubbed on chicken (so I'm told) and makes fantastic dressing and marinade for grilling.

Cake spice is great short cut for oatmeal, baked apples, etc.

Italian herb mix is a great short cut for pasta dishes. Pasta sprinkle is good in pasta salads (so is the Greek seasoning) or on homemade french fries, or on fresh mozz and tomato sandwiches.

Their double vanilla is luxurious.

Put whole coriander and some black pepper in a grinder for a special touch in dishes you put black pepper in.