Menu

Healthy weight people - low fat or not?

Yes, the nutrients are destroyed and in addition the powdering process oxidizes the cholesterol, making it bad for your body. nak, sorry, :)

:iagree:

the main issue is the oxidized cholesterol...

that is why we steer clear of ANYTHING that has nonfat milk or milk powder in it.

We don't do low fat at our place. I and the kiddos are in a very healthy weight range. DH has had a small weight gain over the past year since moving into a desk role at work and is probably pushing the upper limit of healthy, but really his problem is that he still eats as he did when he was in a very active role at work. For us the key is portion size, healthy choices most of the time and not snacking between meals. The kids do snack when they need to.

I've seen some articles lately that say that the trend to eat low fat has contributed to more long-term weight gain than loss. I say long-term because the people will lose weight at first, but then often gain it all back and then some. Those of you who are a healthy weight and have been some for some time, what do you say? Do you eat low-fat? Do you eat moderate fat? Do you enjoy your food;)?

I am a little under 5'4" and I weigh 119 pounds. My doctor tells me my ideal weight is between 115-118, so my weight is, I think, healthy. I could definitely tone up some, but overall, I am please with my weight.

And I eat full fat everything--as long as it is healthy fat. I am very careful with what I eat. I try to eat close to the Nourishing Traditions diet. But I eat healthy fats with abandon--butter, coconut oil, home grown chickens and pork, whole milk & yogurt & sour cream, I eats loads of cheese. I cook from scratch, we don't drink soft drinks, we rarely buy potato chips (we eat corn tortilla chips), cookies, etc. I try to incorporate lots of fruit and vegetables in our diet (which takes a little work because dh and ds will eat fruit, but usually only if I prepare it and put it in front of them! :D so I like to put ready-to-eat fruit in dh's lunch) and nearly all the deserts we eat are homemade--that way I can control the amount of sugar and the kind of fat that goes into them. We generally eat whole wheat flour rather than white, although we do eat some white flour. We try to eat very little hydrogenated fat.

Snacks in our house are generally things like popcorn (home-popped with real butter), whole wheat bread with butter and honey, fruit, peanut butter (natural with salt), homemade deserts, etc.

We also go to great lengths to try to avoid high-fructose corn syrup and corn syrup in general, and we avoid artificial sweetners.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head that you may find helpful :)

HTH :)

Edited by Tracy in Ky

I have always been in a healthy weight range, on the much lower end of it in my 20's and then in the lower to middle range in my 30's. Over that time I have eaten so many different ways. From low-fat standard American diet, to full fat vegetarian, to full-of-junk-foods and frozen dinners, to very healthy whole foods organic, to nearly raw, to nearly-vegan. :lol: And my weight tends to always be about the same (within 5 pounds) no matter what percentage of fat I eat, except the times I was on a very-low-fat type of diet, I was bordering on too thin.

What consistently will have me up a few pounds is eating chips or pretty much any other packaged snacks on a regular basis. I don't think it is the fat that matters, it is portions and calories. But mainly the portions. Little bites or handfuls of things here and there, or that extra bit of something in the coffee, add up over time and make a difference IME.

Well, i'm about 5'4" and weigh about 115 (just lost a few...was 128). I never eat low fat. I focus more on portion control and recording my daily calorie intake. I use an app on my ipod called Lose It! and enter in my foods there. It helps me to see what I am eating without lying to myself:) I also try to limit processed food.

I haven't read all the replies but here's my experience. I've maintained a healthy weight (5'7" and over the last 15 years I've been between 120-135 lbs, depending on when I last gave birth :001_smile:). I have never eaten a low-fat diet. I can't do it. My body does not like it at all. I feel sick and extremely hungry. I eat meat and eat healthy, real fats like avocado, olive oil and butter. I just don't eat anywhere near the amounts of food that other people do. I also don't load up on things like cheese and sauces and condiments. Because of my food allergies, I don't eat fast food or anything processed. For lunch today I had some leftover pork loin roast with roasted sweet potatoes and some rice. I think you have to find what works for your body.

That's a great thing to read!!!! BTW, I'm finding as I get older, I have to keep about 7 lbs. min. extra weight on me, due to the, ahem, extra elasticity of my skin now (at 45 yrs).

:lol: My mom always says that. She says if she got down to the weight her dr wants her to get down to, she would have much worse wrinkles.

She does have a point. I don't think I need to worry that I'll lose every ounce of fat on me. I'm 40 so I could use some areas to stay a little more filled out. Of course, where my fluff tends to stay it doesn't help with that.

I have a family of healthy weight people though I myself weigh about 15 lbs more than I want to weigh. We do not eat anything low-fat or artificle sugar. We eat real food--sometimes that involves butter, cheese, cream. It always includes veggies, fruits, whole grains.

I do think that low fat foods are not healthy because they are processed. They have to be altered to be made low fat.

My philospy is learn to eat in moderation. If you want something, eat it. But learn to like foods that are healthy!

I'm 5'3" and I've always been around 110-115 even though I'm a butter addict. I eat full fat ice cream when I want it (but never when I don't), and I cook with olive oil every night. Except for college when I tried to go lowfat and wound up pretty close to 130.

Barb