Menu

Question about First Language Lessons 2nd grade

Guest asimon

Hi! I'm new here and I have a question I'm hoping to get some feedback on. I have a son in 2nd grade and we're using "First Language Lessons" for our grammar book. I also have "The Well-Trained Mind" and have been using that as a general guide. In the "Well Trained Mind", it mentions having a 2nd grader do dictation 3 days a week and write letters once a month. "First Language Lessons" includes some writing letters (at least we've come across one so far) and some dictation, but not as frequently as 3 days a week. My son's handwriting is decent for a 2nd grade boy, I think, but he really hates to do dictation, copywork and physically write more than he absolutely has to, so I'm not sure if I should insist on the grammar book letters and dictation (and copywork) in addition to doing more letters and dictation? He writes for his spelling lessons (we use Explode the Code and he's on book 6) and we do narration for his read alouds, history and some science.

Any thoughts on how much I should push the letter writing and dictation?

Thanks!

Amy

My dd7 is the same way about writing. The dictation that SWB recommends for 2nd grade is covered in Writing With Ease Level 2. However, I wouldn't do that without making sure your ds was capable of doing what is recommended in WWE 1 (and from your description, it sounds like he may not be ready for WWE 2 level work). This is my first time for 2nd grade, so I can't really give you btdt advice I am in the same boat. My approach is to do all the dictation, copywork etc. in FLL2, plus we are doing WWE 2 (just finished WWE 1 over the summer). I have to admit, however, that dd hates both WWE and FLL to some extent. We do some dictation in spelling, plus she does MCP Phonics 1 page per day. She will eventually this year also do some of her SOTW 2 narrations (writing them down). My gut feeling is that my dd is very "behind" in her handwriting capabilities; if she had to go to school for any reason, she would not be able to keep up so I want to catch her up this year. However, I don't think I'll be adding dictations and letter writing on top of FLL and WWE.

Guest TheBugsMom

Just do a total of 3 dictations a week...whether they come from FLL or a combo of FLL and something else shouldn't matter. 3 is 3. If he writes 1 letter from FLL for the month then it is covered, if FLL doesn't have one assigned for the month then assign one.

We haven't used WWE but I just looked at the samples online. It seems like it overlaps a lot with the FLL for 1 and 2. Is that true? Are both necessary?

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Amy

We used both FLL3 and wWE2 last year and we used FLL1&2 plus WWE1 the year before. Both programs were useful to use at the same time. I would not require copy work from both on the same day but most of the time FLL focuses on grammar terms and usage while WWE focuses on writing skills. I think they complement and reinforce each other without too much redundancy.