Menu

Do you let your kids read ahead in the curriculum?

You bet. Part of the coolness of the homeschool thing is that they can work at their own pace. Provided they are understanding what they are doing and their work is good, they can go as fast or as slow as they want. Depending on the subject, though, I encourage going wider instead of just always ahead; read more books about a time in history than just the text and the few books I have chosen.

Just wondering. We're using Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry and Physics level 1 this year. My son was begging for these two subjects. He's read most of the chemistry book and says he'll read the physics book as soon as we receive it. He has to do it all again when we get to it in our schedule because he's not doing the experiments/labs and I have to do it with my daughter too.

Just wondering. We're using Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry and Physics level 1 this year. My son was begging for these two subjects. He's read most of the chemistry book and says he'll read the physics book as soon as we receive it. He has to do it all again when we get to it in our schedule because he's not doing the experiments/labs and I have to do it with my daughter too.

Reinforcement--it's a good thing. :001_smile:

Sure - why would I want to stop them? I can not guess at the beginning of the year how long what section is going to take - so if they are faster, we move faster

The issue is that I have two kids doing this curriculum together. We read the text one day, do the experiment another day, work on the worksheets a third day, and take the quiz on the fourth day. We do this curriculum two days a week so each chapter takes two weeks. My son is only reading ahead, not doing the rest of the work. My daughter is not doing anything ahead of schedule. So, he still has to revisit each chapter when it comes up in the lesson plans.

Once the chemistry is done (beginning of January), we'll start physics on the same schedule.

We only do it two days a week because we are also doing Apologia. We'll be able to complete all three this year with time to spare.

My son is only reading ahead, not doing the rest of the work. My daughter is not doing anything ahead of schedule. So, he still has to revisit each chapter when it comes up in the lesson plans.

;) This means he'll review the material when he revisits the chapter, and have an easier time understanding what's going on. The material is also more likely to be retained. When I was in college, it was recommended by someone (can't remember who) to read our textbooks ahead of the lecture for better retention and understanding. :D

;) This means he'll review the material when he revisits the chapter, and have an easier time understanding what's going on. The material is also more likely to be retained. When I was in college, it was recommended by someone (can't remember who) to read our textbooks ahead of the lecture for better retention and understanding. :D

I agree. You just make sure he knows that it is fine to read ahead but that he will still be expected to read it when you do it 'for real'.

As long as he voluntarily reads ahead, where is the problem?

If he did not like to revisit, he'd stop reading, wouldn't he?

The issue is that I have two kids doing this curriculum together. We read the text one day, do the experiment another day, work on the worksheets a third day, and take the quiz on the fourth day. We do this curriculum two days a week so each chapter takes two weeks. My son is only reading ahead, not doing the rest of the work. My daughter is not doing anything ahead of schedule. So, he still has to revisit each chapter when it comes up in the lesson plans.

As long as he knows that he will be revisiting that material, and has no problem with that.... I'd be happy to see it!

Then again... I'm the same person who reads through all my books for the semester before it even starts... :tongue_smilie:Even back in high school when I was busy slacking off and doing no work, I still read the entire textbooks within the first few days of class.

DD isn't at that stage yet, but I sure hope she still has the love of learning that she wants to read ahead!

It's so funny that I had this same question cross my mind this week. I've been busily piecing together ds10's science for next year. He LOVES science...well, that's actually an understatement. Anyway, as soon as I buy something - I see him walking by carrying it off to be devoured! (I mean, before I even have a chance to plug it into the lesson plans I'm still finalizing!).

Some OCD part of my brain kept screaming at me to make him stop, but I didn't. I kept telling myself, this is one of the reasons I homeschool. I'm getting material that he is excited about. He'll still have to go through most of it with me, but like others have said, it'll just give him double exposure. So, I just let him do it, and figure that it's a great "problem" to have! :001_smile:

It's so funny that I had this same question cross my mind this week. I've been busily piecing together ds10's science for next year. He LOVES science...well, that's actually an understatement. Anyway, as soon as I buy something - I see him walking by carrying it off to be devoured! (I mean, before I even have a chance to plug it into the lesson plans I'm still finalizing!).

Some OCD part of my brain kept screaming at me to make him stop, but I didn't. I kept telling myself, this is one of the reasons I homeschool. I'm getting material that he is excited about. He'll still have to go through most of it with me, but like others have said, it'll just give him double exposure. So, I just let him do it, and figure that it's a great "problem" to have! :001_smile:

:iagree: My Dd has begged me to buy Story of Science, and when it arrives I can see her not moving from the sofa till it's finished. They've retained SOTW much better when they've read or listened to it all through several times.

Edited by freerange
Pesky autocorrect

:iagree: My Dd has begged me to buy Story of Science, and when it arrives I can see her not moving from the sofa till it's finished. They've retained SOTW much better when they've read or listened to it all through several times.

Thanks for the tip; I'm off to look up Story of Science. I can tell by the title that it would never make it to my desk. Ds will confiscate it as soon as the box enters the house, lol.