Menu

Anyone tried Online Explode the Code??

Just started homeschooling my dd. 7yr old, 2nd grade, very proficient reader--never tested but the books she reads I think would be considered 4th-5th grade level. Not sure I need to teach phonics anymore, but if I do...

Explode the Code looks good. Anyone ever tried the online version? I found one site that says it's $45 a year for one seat, another says $65.

How many books do you go through in a year and would you recommend starting with the first level to make sure they know all the phonics? I know there is a placement test, but it seems silly to pay twice as much for the test as I can buy new books through this site.

We are using it for DS8 because he needed the review for phonics and spelling. Mostly spelling. But I didn't want another workbook and thought he would like the "game" aspect more. He does enjoy it and he has made a lot of progress. Overall I am pleased with the online program. It starts by testing them at the first level, if they pass, they move up until they no longer pass.

I will probably use the online program for DS5 when he is ready but I will use the workbooks too.

If you really are interested Homeschool Buyers Coop is running it for $30 for the next few days.

Don't buy ETC books through their site. Rainbow Resource sells them at a better price!!!

http://www.explodethecode.com/

Thanks for letting me know about the discount jannylynn! I guess I caught it just in time!

For everyone else the discount is listed under "language arts" under the group buys section on the left after you sign up for the free membership. http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

This is one of my favorite parts of homeschooling so far: networking with others who want to share what they know. Thanks!

I would really like to know more about it, because I've considered it in the past and decided to pass.

My concern is that there are errors on the website demo! For example, in the au/aw lesson, one of the correct answers is the word "found." Not sure where the au/aw is hiding in that word.

I also saw bicycle spelled as "bicyle" on the demo. It just doesn't seem professional.

I will admit that I have issues with the books as well -- some of the answers are not, IMHO, intuitive at all. A piece of paper with an addition problem is supposed to represent "add" -- but one child thought "math" and a younger one thought "numbers" instead. There are many issues like that in the books -- instances where I (the adult!) have NO idea what word they're expecting.

Does anyone have any insight/feedback on these issues?

I would really like to know more about it, because I've considered it in the past and decided to pass.

My concern is that there are errors on the website demo! For example, in the au/aw lesson, one of the correct answers is the word "found." Not sure where the au/aw is hiding in that word.

I also saw bicycle spelled as "bicyle" on the demo. It just doesn't seem professional.

I will admit that I have issues with the books as well -- some of the answers are not, IMHO, intuitive at all. A piece of paper with an addition problem is supposed to represent "add" -- but one child thought "math" and a younger one thought "numbers" instead. There are many issues like that in the books -- instances where I (the adult!) have NO idea what word they're expecting.

It might not be the program for you. It sounds like you take issue with the books.

I haven't noticed errors while watching DS do the online program and I sit with him through most of his work.

I only watched part of the demo so I must have missed that. :confused:

Pictures can represent many things. But if you are looking for one with a certain or sound, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Overall my 5yo isn't having a problem. Like in Get Ready, they use a picture of a cat for Kk. But I figured they meant kitten because cat doesn't start with K. ;) DS8 doesn't seem to have a hard time figuring out what they mean with the online pictures.

Like in Get Ready, they use a picture of a cat for Kk. But I figured they meant kitten because cat doesn't start with K. ;) DS8 doesn't seem to have a hard time figuring out what they mean with the online pictures.

The kitten example is a good one; that seems so confusing for a beginning reader. Another example I recall is a drawing of a man and the answer is "Al," for example.

I really WANT to like ETC, but the drawings frustrate me. Maybe I need to make my own version. ;)

The kitten example is a good one; that seems so confusing for a beginning reader. Another example I recall is a drawing of a man and the answer is "Al," for example.

I really WANT to like ETC, but the drawings frustrate me. Maybe I need to make my own version. ;)

I've had frustrations with the workbook drawings, too. The online version helps because you can float the mouse and it says the word that they mean to be represented by the picture. :)

Thanks for sharing this feedback, sweetbasil. These kinds of things would bother me too, so thanks for helping me make an informed decision. I think I will probably still go with the online program, but I'll keep a closer watch that I would have otherwise, as every program I find has something in it that makes it not perfect. I'll make do with what I find.