Menu

can someone share....

the ins and outs of Paperback swap with me...I have LOTS of books that none of you guys want to buy...:001_smile:...so I wanted to maybe try that route...but I don't know exactly how it works and what to expect...what to watch out for and how to do buisness on the site.

THANKS!!!

Kathy

One thing to keep in mind is that if a book you are posting is on someone's wish list, it will be requested immediately. So, you may end up w/ lots of books to mail in a very short time (can add up quickly if you're paying postage on a lot of things in a short time frame). So, my advice is to do an advanced search for the ISBN you want to post. If there are no copies of your book posted, it will show you how many (if any) people are 'wishing' for the book. It takes longer that way, but it allows you to better manage when you want to post books that will most likely be requested.

Other tips:

Make sure there are books you want (if you're going to accumulate a lot of credits).

If you have lots of credits & don't want to use them, you can sell them to others on the PBS site. (I haven't done this but have heard about it. Maybe someone else can chime in.)

Edited by Stacia

Yes, good advice from the previous poster.

With regards to the PBS quick credit, I stopped using that a while ago. This is the credit that you get immediately after marking a book mailed, instead of waiting until the book is marked received. You can get quick credit if you use their shipping label service, and it is very convenient, but you have to pay for that convenience. I think it's 50¢ for each label??? It might not sound like much, but it really adds up. I was spending wayyyy too much on postage that way.

I still ship using electronic postage by using paypal's multi-order shipping. This way I can track the package and when the other member forgets to mark it received, I can send them a reminder so that I can get my credit. (This happens to me a lot. :glare: )

I strongly recommend following the PP's advice about checking the book by ISBN before posting it. That way you know if it's going to be requested right away and can get an idea of how much you'll be spending on shipping... unless you have an unlimited supply of money to spend on postage. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with a PP.

The things I wish I had really understood when I joined PBS:

Don't list a bunch of books at one time unless you are willing to spend the time packaging them up, paying for postage, and mailing them out.

Along with the mailing out of many books, do a search for books you might like to receive so you can actually do something with the credits you receive from mailing out books. There is a way to sell credits but I don't personally see the point in taking my time to package, pay postage, and mail books only to sell my credits to someone else. It just seems like it would amount to a loss.

I paid nearly $60 in postage in the first 4 days after posting 22 books. All but 2 were wish listed and I had no idea because I didn't know to look first. I found only 2 books that I wanted. So now I have 22 credits sitting in my account and the only few books I do wish I had are wishlisted by over 200 people. I imagine it's going to take quite a long time before I make it to the top of those lists.

I hate having unused credits just sitting in my account, but I also hate the idea of just getting books to use up those unused credits. That may not make sense to someone else though. :)

knowing that I can use my credits for books, CD's or DVD's helps me out some. They encourage you to post 10 books by offering 2 "free" credits as soon as you do...so I don't know if I want to post 10 things right away just to get the credits...or if it really isn't worth it. I don't have a lot of "extra" money just waiting to be spent...so we'll see.

knowing that I can use my credits for books, CD's or DVD's helps me out some. They encourage you to post 10 books by offering 2 "free" credits as soon as you do...so I don't know if I want to post 10 things right away just to get the credits...or if it really isn't worth it. I don't have a lot of "extra" money just waiting to be spent...so we'll see.

If when you mail you print the postage on your sheet then it's no problem to mail them from home. You don't need anything special just a regular old printer and paper.

IF you don't print the postage at home it's best to take them to the post office to mail because anything over a certain weight has to be mailed from there.

But if you print your postage at home you can mail it from your mailbox. And you get instant credit--as opposed to having to wait for your book to arrive and the other person clicking that it's arrived.

Next to your credit at the top of the page there's a spot for $$. Click the + sign and add money. I love this feature. Bookmooch doesn't have it and I can never get to the post office.