Menu

not losing weight

((hugs))

The calories are usually my downfall. I lie to myself. Count carefully.

If you can crank up the exercise to a brisker walk and/or more cardio-intensive (making you sweat and breathe hard), it will make a huge difference. I just read that jogging a mile burns 100 cal but walking on 60. I never knew that. I thought it would be the same cal for the same distance. Guess not. :( I started the couch to 5k thing yesterday for that reason. . .

What are you eating? Are you writing down everything you eat? When I try to keep track of my daily allotment in my head I'm never correct.

I only keep whole foods in the house so no junk/sweets.

I am having fruit, veg, cheese, chick, beef, whole-grain bread, eggs, yogurt, nuts, water, coffee (1-2). I feel hungry often. I eat a piece of fruit or nuts or plain yogurt for a snack.

Baby is 10 weeks.

I have not written it down but am portioning it out - if you think writing will help I will try it.

With a baby that young, I would just keep doing what you're doing. If you haven't begun to shed the weight by 6 months out, I would step up efforts to lose. But often times at this point, your body is holding onto that extra weight to ensure that you and baby have the reserves you need.

Yes, keep eating well (lots of whole foods, fruits and veggies, avoiding junk) with your calories around the 1800 mark, and absolutely keep up the brisk walks and such. But just accept that your body may plateau for a couple of months while baby is still in the newborn phase.

Not everyone loses weight while nursing. I didn't...but I had lost between 10-20 pounds (compared to my pre-pregnancy weight) during the pregnancy (at delivery) from eating so healthy. (I am 100pounds overweight in general). I know I'm not the only one. Some women just hoard the calories when nursing.

Dd is 3.5, and I still haven't lost any more weight in spite of keeping a daily food journal, eating whole foods most of the time, and rarely eating out (sometimes 1X/month), and breastfeeding on demand. But I'm pregnant again, and I haven't gained anything either....

Be good to yourself and your baby at this time. Try watching your calorie counts...but be careful that your milk supply doesn't suffer and drop off because of not enough protein or liquid.

Kudos to you for being a BF mom!

I never lost weight while nursing. Every time I cut my calorie load, my milk supply diminished. Every time I increased my exercise time, the baby fussed after nursing. I consulted lactation consultants and nutritionists. They all said to let it go for the time being. By the time the baby was between 1 and 2 years old, all the weight I wanted to lose was gone.

Now, why can't I lose weight at 48? :)

I would think that is too early to loose weight - your body is still trying to make sure there are reserves there to make milk with in case there is a "famine".

Usually - from what I've seen in healthy women - the 6 month mark is more reasonalbe.

As long as you are eating a healthy diet and exercising, the rest should take care of itself.

I never lost weight while nursing. Every time I cut my calorie load, my milk supply diminished. Every time I increased my exercise time, the baby fussed after nursing. I consulted lactation consultants and nutritionists. They all said to let it go for the time being. By the time the baby was between 1 and 2 years old, all the weight I wanted to lose was gone.

Now, why can't I lose weight at 48? :)

:iagree:I didn't lose a bit of weight while nursing either. And any attempt at a diet resulted in a diminished milk supply. And any attempt at exercise before 6 months set back the healing process.

When I quit nursing, most of the weight came off without dieting.

I have all my "baby weight" back at 46 too.:)

so, what you're all saying is that I have to be patient?

hmmm....... patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...........

Be good to yourself and the baby. :)

Don't stress out yourself, your body and your baby yet. A few more months until things settle a little bit aren't that much on the long run.

I feel your pain - I HATE feeling fat and not feeling comfortable and I'm also one of those that hurry to get rid of baby weight and have the others slowing them down - but really, a bit of patience is also you need now. Many women have problems losing weight while nursing, and it's not such a great idea anyway to jump right in to start losing weight, it's better to wait a little. Just make sure you eat healthy until then and give lots of love to the baby. :)

I was never able to lose weight while nursing. On the other hand, a friend of mine loses weight during that time so fast she actually has to stop nursing otherwise it's dangerous to her health. And I guess there are all shades of grey in between - we are all made so different!