Menu

How do you teach more than 1 kid?

mindygz

So we are starting DS5 in kindergarten this year. Last year he did some preschool stuff and joined us for history and science and sometimes listened or hung out at the table for other subjects, but otherwise it was a lot of one-on-one time teaching DD8 (then 7). Now that he is doing more stuff, I'm not sure how to manage it. It seems like it makes the most sense to have "math time" when both of them are working on math, but other than that and the subjects that are together, I don't know how to juggle the scheduling. Maybe I can have DD8 reading to DS1.5 while I'm working with DS5 on his reading?

Mostly I'm nervous because of how long school took us sometimes last year, with only one kid to work with. I'm afraid I'll be going until dinner time to get everything covered. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but still, I'm worried.)

So, what are your tricks?

Well I just started my dd on her K work this week. She has been doing work for awhile but it has been pretty much optional kwim. I have a ds7 (2nd grade) doing Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and a dd4.75 (k) doing Little hearts for his glory. I made up a color coded weekly schedule that I laminated and hung up. I do not have set times, because that is unrealistic, but we generally go from 9-2ish(my dh gets off at 2:15 so I want them done before then.) with breaks. This is basically how it goes daily:

Bible(ds)

Bible(dd)

Math (ds)

Math (dd)

Spelling/Grammar(ds) he does spelling 3 days, and Grammar 2 days

Handwriting/Fine motor skills (dd)

Break/exercise time (my dh comes home for lunch at 10:15, so the kids break and do exercise videos during this time.

phonics (dd)

tot time(for my dd2, and ds2, but we all join in)

Lunch

Storytime (ds)

Storytime(dd)

History/rotationg box(ds) rotationg box consists of science 2x a week, geography, art, history project, etc.

Histroy/rotating box (dd)

rhymes in motion (dd)

poetry/copywork (ds

Together time (art 1x a week, music 2x a week, president study, state study)

Projects (baking, making playdoh etc.)

My dh does some stuff in the evening with ds too, science 2x a week, history 1x a week, guitar 1x a week, and experiments 1x a week. He does this by his request.

Dd ends up with more break time because ds takes longer on math. I usally do his textbook with him, and then get him started on his workbook. I then work with dd on her math while he does his workbook. If they have a a break they can play with dd2, or play educational computer games. It is working great so far, and I hope that makes sense.

Sometimes everything runs smoothly and othertimes it's sheer chaos. Today, we did 2 science experiments (1 for the 7yo and 1 for the 9yo) which took extra time and made a big mess. Next, we did math. The 7yo is working through subtraction with borrowing in multiple columns (in my mind, a big concept!) The 9yo hit fractions, but it required more thinking than ever before. The baby had just woken from her nap. Everything just erupted!!! I suddenly couldn't understand numbers and was pulling my hair trying to understand 4th gr fractions, LOL. I sent everyone out of the room to go play with the baby while I sat with the teacher's guide and some manipulatives:) Two minutes later, I understood and was able to bring one child in at a time again to explain and work with them. Because science & math were big, long topics, we did 3 subjects total for the day. So here's my list of tips:

1. know when to stop for the day (we stopped after 3 subjects because school was beginning to drag and I didn't want to frustrate everyone, esp myself!)
  2. recognize that it might look great on paper, but in practice, there will be times when you're going crazy, pulled in too many directions, or everything seems to be happening at once.
  3. don't be afraid to send a child or two from the room so you can get a handle on the lesson. Once you restore order (with your kids, with your lesson, or within yourself...) then you can pick up again.
  4. keep it short and sweet with the K'er. Little bits every day.
  5. Have fun. Take pictures:) I'm learning to enjoy this process, even when the kids are whining "I hate school" and the baby is wrecking havoc. It makes for great blogging material, LOL!

I am in the self-learning camp. My kids are encouraged to be independent, and they only need me a few minutes each day, if that. I think it is wonderful for them and me alike.

Since we have gone this way, they are more excited about learning and more motivated. I am not exhausted and have more energy for the fun stuff.

ETA: I have a 10 yo and 8yo twins.

Hi, I have 4 kids (3 are school-age). I am by no means an expert, but here's some ideas...

-the oldest kids do these subjects together: Science, Read-Alouds (from SL Core 2), History, Geography (map skills), Latin, German, Independent Reading, any Unit Studies we veer off into

-the kids do a separate Math, Spelling and LA program (CLE and Singapore). They work through this either one-on-one with me or they work independently at the same time while I sit between them to answer questions.

-the kids work with me one-on-one with McGuffey Readers, my son does a phonics program and they both are on different levels of WWE

-when I'm really busy, I send 3rd grader off with a syllabus and she completes everything on her own

-the K-er works with me individually with MFW K and twice a week, we work through CLE LTR and Singapore EB, I'm also trying to read to her from SL K's booklist (we just did The House of Pooh)

I don't know if that helps you...:confused: It sounds like a lot, but once you get used to it - it gets to be routine. We are also taking enrichment classes this semester and we spend one day a week doing school with another family.

Here is a post I made elsewhere on how I work with my 4. I tried the "everybody do math" way and that did not work at all here. I felt like I was bouncing all over the place. In this method I'm seated at the school table most of the time and kids come to me. Much less hectic!

I have four this year as well... K, 1, 3 and 4. Last year I did Pre-K with the youngest so it won't be a lot different.

What has worked well for me is to teach math and grammar to the older two the night before. With the "instruction" part done they can be independent with their practice in these areas the next day. **This has been a key to my day not seeming quite as long!

So... We start the morning with Bible (together) and History (all together). Then the older three work independently while I start with the youngest and do one on one with him. Then the next oldest (he doesn't have much independent work at this point so the timing works out well).

If there's time I either start with the next or we do science then lunch. If we didn't get to science before lunch we do it right after lunch. Usually the 4th child is left until after lunch. I used to not like this, but I think it's better than any alternatives I've thought of. He's also the slowest worker so he's occupied the entire time usually.

The kids do their chores as they finish school. The youngest are always done with school/chores before lunch (with just science to go) and the older two are done usually by 2:00. My 3rd grader works faster than my 4th grader so she's usually done even before that.

I also allow my older two to work on school the night before if they wish. I have night owl's so they are up for a while after I put them to bed. Great time to do some school work. Their reward is they get to sleep later in the morning if they do work the night before. I always leave it up to them...

I rotate between the kids using a MOTH schedule. It's the only way I've found to make sure that each one is getting the instruction time that is needed.

I second this suggestion. Even if you don't get the book, just following the idea of making a schedule of where everyone is and who is with whom for each half hour (or fifteen minutes, or hour) is so helpful. Plan to be flexible, of course, but it helps to have a plan to begin with.

I have older dds and then my younger guy. He's still young enough to not have a ton of work (I focus on the basics for K-3.) I teach one or two subject to the girls, and then they have follow-up work to do while I take a block of time for ds. I found that it is so much easier to not go back and forth with a younger one, but to just make an hour or so block of time for them. Then he has independent work to do after he and I are done.

I like what the others have suggested.

For me I do what I can with the kids together and lately it's not much now because of their learning levels...however I tend to alternate mama school time with a child.

For example when setting up their workboxes I make sure that I alternate the subjects for the child giving a child a lesson they are able to do with little to no mama direction while making sure the other child has the subject/lesson that will require more of my attention and direction. I also make sure I had 1-2 additional "freebie" activities in the workboxes just in case one of them finishes before the other and need my direction more but I'm unavailable for a short time still..I include file folder games, mazes, following direction sheets, color by number, playdoh, alone reading time, listen to an audio book...ect

This may seem like a lot but we're done with school around lunch time most days :)

I have an 8yo and a 5yo ( in addition to 2 younger DC). This is my 2nd year working with both (DS finished K last year). We use HOD and begin our day with the following shared subjects: history, rotating science/art/geography/history activity, poetry, Bible, music (Bible memory CD), storytime (and storytime activity). This all takes around an hour or so...more on art days.

Next, we move on to our 3Rs. Since these are more individualized, I do most of these subjects apart. They are able to do some things on their own (ETC, Cheerful Cursive--8yo, copywork, math WB pages). I have one working alone while I work with the other (math lesson, reading aloud to me, grammar lesson). I can usually work on spelling with both at the same time since they have different lists, but the same activities. We don't have a specific routine for our 3R's schedule...we just keep moving until it's all finished. It takes another hour or so. If needed we finish up after lunch. Sometimes I save reading lessons for afternoon if they are tired. If they finished their independent work but have more lessons with me, they play quietly until I'm available.

I also have two more DC, so we have lots of interruptions (diaper changes and feedings for baby, 3yo getting into things, snacks, etc.). I try to give the older two an independent task while I'm busy. My 3yo has some activities to work on (workbooks, cutting book, pattern blocks, coloring books, puzzles, etc.). My older two are often on the computer if they have spare time.

We start at 9 and are often finished by lunch. We spend our afternoons with chores, extra activities (arts and crafts, poetry, baking ,etc.), or free time.

Edited by Holly

Thank you, all, for sharing. These are some great ideas. I am going to think about them some more and try a few to see what works best for us. I like the idea of doing DS5's stuff all together in a chunk and giving DD8 something independent during that time (or tending toddler boy). I think ds5 would work better if it wasn't broken up into lots of small pieces.

Thanks again!

So we are starting DS5 in kindergarten this year. Last year he did some preschool stuff and joined us for history and science and sometimes listened or hung out at the table for other subjects, but otherwise it was a lot of one-on-one time teaching DD8 (then 7). Now that he is doing more stuff, I'm not sure how to manage it. It seems like it makes the most sense to have "math time" when both of them are working on math, but other than that and the subjects that are together, I don't know how to juggle the scheduling. Maybe I can have DD8 reading to DS1.5 while I'm working with DS5 on his reading?

Mostly I'm nervous because of how long school took us sometimes last year, with only one kid to work with. I'm afraid I'll be going until dinner time to get everything covered. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but still, I'm worried.)

You've gotten lots of good ideas - here's to more :)

1. Write down all the things 8yo & 5yo & 1yo can do ALONE. Have them do their ALONE things while you work 1-on-1 w/the other child. I have 3 (1st grade, K, 1yo). Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Younger 2 have 45 min roomtime (play alone in their rooms/playpens) after breakfast while I do math w/1st grader. We do the bulk of our school while 1yo takes his morning nap. Do all school w/K (total 30-45 min for phonics, bob book, math, & writing) while 1st grader does writing, spelling, and plays quietly (extra time) INDEPENDENTLY. All that is left after that is Grammar w/1st grader which takes little time. Try it - it will free a lot of your time and school will take A LOT less time!

*If your 1yo does not nap anymore in the morning, work w/8yo while K & 1yo play in another room (that can count as an 'individual thing') and switch when you need to work w/K student*

2. Read History during Breakfast, Do science, Bible, Art, Foreign language together.

3. 8yo & 5yo can read to you (15-30 min tops) at the beginning of 1yo afternoon nap and still have time to have quiet time for EVERYONE!

I have three, and I have had to learn to be fluid and not stress about time-blocks for subjects. Every year, we tweak our schedule until we figure out what works most efficiently. Sometimes it is very fluid, and other days not so much...

Let's see... Here's my average day to give you an idea. Mine are in 1st, 2nd, and 4th...

We always start out the day with Bible and Scripture memory, which we do all together. Then I get the younger ones started on handwriting or an art project (or anything else they can do independently) while I have a little teaching time with the oldest. I get him going on some seatwork and start some teaching time with one of the other two. It pretty much goes like that; me rotating through the kids with a little instruction time for each while the other 2 do some seat work of some kind. We all do our science reading and sometimes history reading together after lunch, and then they break off and finish any activities related to those two subjects. It's really just a process of figuring out how the rotation works the most smoothly!

I also had to learn not to be too hard on myself if it didn't fit in a planner... We use what I call a "linear" daily schedule where I have a list of subjects I expect to hit with each kid broken up M-F, and I let the amount of independent work each kid has on a particular day dictate how we rotate through teaching times. It's kind of crazy and I couldn't really put it on paper (other than my Monday through Friday chart!), but it works for us. I hope it helps a little!

Everyone is different, but I combine where I can (history, science), work on getting them independent and also have some things I don't cover daily, but only a couple times a week.

That said I use a lot of teacher intensive material, and it shoes. I spend about 6 hours a day doing hs stuff.

Heather

I rotate between the kids using a MOTH schedule. It's the only way I've found to make sure that each one is getting the instruction time that is needed.

Isn't it great that we homeschool? We can each find a way to teach to our strengths. The MOTH schedule might work for some people, but we could NEVER do that around here. There is no way we are going to set up our lives and our homeschooling in 15-minute increments. :tongue_smilie:Of course, I could type it up and make it look nice on paper.... but IRL, that is not the way we do things.

One thing I feel I'm learning is to relax into homeschooling. Does that sound strange, sort of counter-intuitive? What I mean is that I don't think a schedule is the answer (at least it hasn't solved anything for me). I've used schedules and routines and loops and so on, and each has its pros and cons. But in the end, we are human beings. We live and breathe! We are not robots to be put on a 15-minutes-a-subject treadmill.... that would suck the joy right out of our days (it may be a relief to some other families, I don't know).

My toddlers need hugs. My twins have to go poopie in the middle of my oldest daughter's math lesson. My oldest wants to participate in the fun things she sees her younger siblings doing. Sigh. Peace and joy and patience are also a part of what we're learning.

We plod on. That is the best advice I can give you. Do the next thing and know when to be "done." Your children will learn over time, not all in a day.

Like Dori said in Nemo, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....." HTH.

Maybe I can have DD8 reading to DS1.5 while I'm working with DS5 on his reading?

Just wanted to add that we do this all the time. My oldest is a wonderful reader, so many days I'll say, "Okay, go read on your bed with ___________, while I do a reading lesson with _________." Then we switch. :D

Hey, what are you complainin' about? Pity me. I am teaching twins to read. :nopity:

:lol:

This is where classical approach can serve you well. When you teach a subject (like math) teach the younger lesson first while the older listens (for review), then the older. Same with Grammar. I read first language lesson to youngest and oldest listens. Then older child gets their lesson and younger listens while he colors or plays with wikki stix or clay or something tactile. I start each day with handwriting because you can do that simultaneously with little trouble, then math, then grammar. My older daughter does reading practice and the younger has to listen and follow along. Science and History are the easiest because I read or play SOTW and the older does a copywork page and the younger makes a picture of what we learned. There are one or two things I cannot do with older child while younger is there (too distracting) so younger has some quiet time in his room while we finish up the day. Have you read The Well Trained Mind? Lots of helps in there. Hope that helps!

Isn't it great that we homeschool? We can each find a way to teach to our strengths. The MOTH schedule might work for some people, but we could NEVER do that around here. There is no way we are going to set up our lives and our homeschooling in 15-minute increments. :tongue_smilie:Of course, I could type it up and make it look nice on paper.... but IRL, that is not the way we do things.

One thing I feel I'm learning is to relax into homeschooling. Does that sound strange, sort of counter-intuitive? What I mean is that I don't think a schedule is the answer (at least it hasn't solved anything for me). I've used schedules and routines and loops and so on, and each has its pros and cons. But in the end, we are human beings. We live and breathe! We are not robots to be put on a 15-minutes-a-subject treadmill.... that would suck the joy right out of our days (it may be a relief to some other families, I don't know).

My toddlers need hugs. My twins have to go poopie in the middle of my oldest daughter's math lesson. My oldest wants to participate in the fun things she sees her younger siblings doing. Sigh. Peace and joy and patience are also a part of what we're learning.

We plod on. That is the best advice I can give you. Do the next thing and know when to be "done." Your children will learn over time, not all in a day.

Like Dori said in Nemo, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....." HTH.

I have found there are 2 big keys to making a schedule work. First, always schedule more time than something will actually take to allow for the unexpected. Second, always remember that the schedule is not the one in charge, YOU are. When my 1st grader finishes phonics early, I can start a load of laundry or read a couple of books to the 2yo. When both girls have IP math assignments and don't need a lesson, I can sneak in some time on the internet. When the toddler falls down, lessons stop while I calm him down and check for injuries. After he's taken care of I can choose to either go back to the interrupted lesson or move on to what I'm supposed to be doing at the time and fit in the earlier lesson at a later point. With 4 kids, very few days go exactly as scheduled. Having a schedule helps us get back on track, shift around subjects/priorities if necessary, and accomplish a lot more than we ever could without one.

I have K, 3rd and 4th grade boys. I was concerned about bringing ds5 home this year bc he is a very hands on, busy little boy, but it turns out he's the least of my problems!

We start with 30 minutes of math. DS5 usually does about 15 minutes of math with me during that time.

Then 45 min spelling, vocab and grammar during which ds5 spends about 5 minutes doing a page in HWOT.

Then snack and memory work (almost entirely to song) which ds5 fully participates in.

Then the older 2 alternate writing and piano while ds5 wanders.

Then quiet reading time in rooms for the older 2 while ds5 does Hooked on Phonics.

and so on...he plays during or participates in history and read alouds after lunch but if he has a playdate or takes off to play elsewhere that is fine too.

The one thing I did that helped was to create 'centers' in baskets in the school room...writing(with address labels, envelopes, valentine cards, etc...), listening (cd player, headphones and cds), crafts, fine motor, etc...so that I have lots of ideas to grab from when he finishes his work but still wants to hang with us (surprisingly most of the time!) I try to plan a few ideas the night before to get some variety and I put these in his work drawers but he doesn't have to do them.

I am in the self-learning camp. My kids are encouraged to be independent, and they only need me a few minutes each day, if that. I think it is wonderful for them and me alike.

Since we have gone this way, they are more excited about learning and more motivated. I am not exhausted and have more energy for the fun stuff.

ETA: I have a 10 yo and 8yo twins.

I do a combination of the 2. MOTH to ensure everything is taken care of, but we work towards the self-learning approach to homeschooling. :001_smile:

I work with my oldest first, do any thing that they do together in the middle, then I work with my youngest while my oldest does some independent work (math problems, reading on her own, spelling practice, that sort of thing).

I've tried doing them both together and the day is way too long and nobody really learns anything. It is too much for my youngest and too babyish for my oldest.

They really enjoy one-on-one time with me. It makes them feel special.:001_smile:

First I prayed for a 32 hour day.

;)

It didn't work. I still only get 24.

So, now, I try to think on a weekly, monthly, annual basis. Seriously. I know on any given day, not everything will get done. But I do know that by the end of the school year we will have essentially covered and accomplished what we needed to do.

I also multi-task. You'll have to pardon me, I just got done with Andrew Pudewa's disk one... Essentially he said that we don't so much do science, or history, etc. We really do writing. We write about science. We write about history. We write about literature.

I figure my goal is to do a few things.

Make sure they read and read well.

Make sure they write and write well.

Make sure they LOVE to learn.

Make sure they aren't addicted to fluff.

If I accomplish those things, they WILL be well educated.

So, each day we try to read a TON. Each day they write. If we haven't done this workbook or that worksheet, so be it. But the important stuff is covered. Essentially I've figured out my priorities. Good thing too... It only took what? Like 9-10 years.

Beyond that, I've learned to utilize my kids as teachers. Okay, some would say it's passing the buck. But frankly, if Christian needs remedial grammar what better way will he learn than by teaching grammar to his little sister? We all KNOW we learned more from teaching our kids than we ever did learning it the first time in school. When we are passive we don't learn as much. When we have to explain to others we achieve a much deeper understanding, kwim? So, Ana teaches CJ science because science is a weak point with her. CJ teaches Liz grammar because grammar is his weak subject. Liz is going to begin phonics lessons with Abigail. :) It all works.

You'll probably enjoy teaching two more than you did one. Yes, it's more work. Yes, it's very hard to find any balance at all. No, there can't be two of you. Yes, you really NEED there to be two of you. But at the end of the day, it is useful to have more things to do than you can possibly accomplish... It makes you prioritize and then the really important stuff gets done. :iagree:

I have two kids. If I had more this would not work. Or if they were closer in age it wouldn't work. But I teach the younger one in the morning and the older one in the afternoon. I used to try to juggle them, going back and forth, but it nearly drove me crazy.

I figure my goal is to do a few things.

Make sure they read and read well.

Make sure they write and write well.

Make sure they LOVE to learn.

Make sure they aren't addicted to fluff.

If I accomplish those things, they WILL be well educated.

You'll probably enjoy teaching two more than you did one. Yes, it's more work. Yes, it's very hard to find any balance at all. No, there can't be two of you. Yes, you really NEED there to be two of you. But at the end of the day, it is useful to have more things to do than you can possibly accomplish... It makes you prioritize and then the really important stuff gets done. :iagree:

Wow, thank you so much. I think I'm going to print those few lines out and post them where I can be reminded. I agree 100%. And thanks for the thoughts about teaching 2...I do hope that the important stuff comes through.

Hello!

I just jumped into homeschooling this fall with my 11 yr old, 8 yr old, and 6 yr old. I was very nervous!

I researched the workbox system and have been using that. Its been working really well. It allows me to have the day planned out for each child. Also, using the workboxes to space certain things they may need me for allows me to make sure my time is being used more wisely. Things are going very smoothly so far!

But I teach the younger one in the morning and the older one in the afternoon. I used to try to juggle them, going back and forth, but it nearly drove me crazy.

:iagree: Except I teach the older one in the morning and the younger one in the afternoon. My 6yo needs to get a lot of playtime out of his system before he's ready to focus. We like having one-on-one schooling, but clearly that's not going to work after I add another kid or two to the schedule.

I spend about 2 hours with my 3rd grader in the morning (spelling, writing, cursive, math, grammar) after she comes home from her PE/art/music class at the public school. After lunch I spend about 45 min with my 1st grader (reading, math, handwriting) and then we all do science or history together. My 3rd grader reads on her own so I don't schedule that, and I try to find time to read aloud somewhere during the day. My littles are always around playing and creating some chaos.