Menu

GAAH! im going insane lol!

now that the new psychologist has me thinkning of the LD possibilty, im totally 2nd guessing what i have for her this year! im worried that we will start to get in this stuff and it wont be a good fit and then we will need to switch yet again!

we had also finished up some of the remedial reading programs that elizabeth b talks about, but now im even wondering if we should move to something else now?

im just 2nd guessing everything! too much thinking and analyzing i guess...

Give yourself time to process what you have been told.

When I received the results about my 9yo, I was very upset and didn't even know what to do with him. I ended up only switching math (to Rod and Staff from Singapore) and actually *increased* what I had him doing instead of decreasing it (which had been my first inclination.)

And trust your intuition about it. According to the psychologist, my ds is mentally retarded - actually diagnosed as such. According to my intuition *and* the opinions of other people (who would have some knowledge based on their work with him and their professional experience) he isn't. What's really wrong is some kind of severe language processing disorder.

So, keep going with what you were doing and give it a couple of months - your thinking will possibly be clearer. And psychologists don't know everything - especially if they don't work with children over time (basing their diagnosis on a visit or two and some tests.)

thank you both! that was very encouraging!

actually what im "thinking" i would like to do is totally chuck LA till at least january. its what she struggles the most with... caps and punct... all the mechanics and the parts of speech, and i really cant tell besides passing the yearly test why she needs to do them right now. i'd rather focus on spelling, which is so so with her, handwriting which we need to spend more time on along with starting typing, and math which she has now suddenly seems to not remember anything from last year.. poof it went bye bye! lol! so to add that in, just seems like torture at thos point. and reading we have worked hard on since april and she is finally up to about a early 3rd grade. shes reading beezus and ramona (because of the movie lol) and she struggles and is slow... but can read the pages. so i would lime to keep that beefed up for a while.

actually what im "thinking" i would like to do is totally chuck LA till at least january. its what she struggles the most with... caps and punct... all the mechanics and the parts of speech, and i really cant tell besides passing the yearly test why she needs to do them right now. i'd rather focus on spelling, which is so so with her, handwriting which we need to spend more time on along with starting typing, and math which she has now suddenly seems to not remember anything from last year.. poof it went bye bye! lol! so to add that in, just seems like torture at thos point. and reading we have worked hard on since april and she is finally up to about a early 3rd grade. shes reading beezus and ramona (because of the movie lol) and she struggles and is slow... but can read the pages. so i would lime to keep that beefed up for a while.

I would do copywork, focusing on passages that have the particular mechanics that she needs to work on. If she can't write, use a highlighter to write it and have her trace it.

That sounds like a very good plan! My DD wasn't up for doing hours of school every day so I dropped everything for a while to focus on our problem areas (mainly writing). It paid off IMO.

Have you looked into dysgraphia? Does she struggle with writing letters and numbers?

yes! my guess is from the symptoms she my be dyslexic and have dysgraphia. its a struggle to write. takes her about 15 minutes to write one simply sentence, she captilizes randomly throughout even though i constantly correct her. shes been able to write her name since she was 3 or 4 and she still at 10 capitilizes the R and the N even though i correct her multiple times during school.

What we actually did for dysgraphia and thus I have experience with...

I always start with the simplest thing. First, getting large motor skills involved in the writing process. You will model how to write a letter or number in the air and the student will follow suit. This is what we did. You can also have them write the letters or numbers really large on a chalkboard, on the refrigerator, a white board, etc. You want it big... bigger than an 8x 11 piece of paper. This really helps them remember how to form the character.

Another thing we did was to trace the letter or number in a shallow dish full of salt. It was about a 7x9 inch pan. Some people also use sandpaper letters. Siloam has a thread where she describes how to make them.

We also formed numbers out of spaghetti, but I am not sure if you can get an older student to do that, or if it even helped as we only did it once.

Finally, I found that DD could not do simple dot mapping exercises in the book Helping Children Overcome Learning Disabilities. These exercises involve copying a pattern made on a geoboard. In this book they were for math disabilities, but I found on a website (Learningabledkids) that they are also helpful for dysgraphia. You can get a book with these exercises at McRuffy.com. http://mcruffy.com/HandsOnMath.htm http://mcruffy.com/GeoboardFlipAndDraw.htm#GeoboardPatternsExplanation (the first link has the price and a geoboard that you can buy with it for the hands on work)

DD does not have problems writing now, and she really struggled before and it affected all of her written work, even just writing one number for a math problem. I had her do a Zaner Bloser 2nd grade book for printing too and that helped with spacing and such. I think that watching Mrs. Beers and then myself form letters since we started Phonics Road has made her handwriting neater as well, but these other things really took care of the struggle.

You can start with just one thing and see if it helps!