Menu

Needing vocabulary help

This is for my ds10. I asked on the K-8 board but only got one suggestion but I am hoping for more...

Background: DS is currently using BJU 3rd grade curriculum but does everything with his 5th grade peers and will tell you he is in 5th grade. One year ago he was not even reading on a K level due to vision problems. We did math orally and some science and history, lots of vision therapy, and we hired a private reading tutor to work with him on phonics (Scottish Rite Program) because we were first told he was dyslexic (he wasn't). This year he is absolutely decoding on a late 3rd or early 4th grade level and has over 400 sight words. We are beyond thrilled over the progress :D.

Our issue now is that he isn't having the comprehension he needs even though he can decode it. He has been working on vocabulary some with his reading tutor but that is not their primary focus yet. If I ask questions after he reads even a short passage on the 3rd grade level it is obvious he has no idea what some key words mean. If I ask him what lower level words mean, he often doesn't know them either. So, I am guessing that his reading vocabulary comprehension is most likely at the first or early 2nd grade level. I would assess that but I don't know how.

I know part of the gap is because you could say we skipped a couple of grades. I do work with him on the vocabulary that he comes across and preteach any new vocabulary that I know is coming, but there is a lot he doesn't know that I think would have been taught earlier. He is frustrated that he isn't understanding it all, and he is embarassed to tell others he is in 3rd grade material so I don't want to obviously take him back even further if I can help it. Are there any additional programs I might incorporate to teach vocabulary separately that could help cover his gaps? Is he too young for something like Wordly Wise?

Thanks so much!:)

Wordly Wise has done wonders for my kids. I had to go back and redo phonics and vocabulary with my oldest after pulling her out of private school in 3rd grade. Several of the women in my local support group suggested it and they were right. It has made a WORLD of difference for her over all these years. I started backward with a lower level and she was a bit miffed with me. But hey, I see that as one of the great benefits of home schooling. I can give her the advanced curriculum in subjects she excels at and remediate where needed. She got over it as she gained confidence in comprehension. This year, I wanted to drop it, but she said, "No way, Mom! Not until I finish taking SATs/ACT." I didn't think she needed it - she's a junior! :tongue_smilie:

Here's the link to Rainbow Resource or maybe someone knows where to get them for less:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1283305007-1478133&subject=8&category=1926

I believe reading in itself is the best vocabulary builder. Keep reading, read aloud, read in the car, listen to audio books. Read the fun, children's classics with rich vocab.

The more words he hears in context the richer his vocabulary will become naturally. The words will stay with him longer than formally memorizing a series of unrelated words and their meanings.

I believe reading in itself is the best vocabulary builder. Keep reading, read aloud, read in the car, listen to audio books. Read the fun, children's classics with rich vocab.

The more words he hears in context the richer his vocabulary will become naturally. The words will stay with him longer than formally memorizing a series of unrelated words and their meanings.

Thanks. We have been doing those things all along too. Audio books especially - we just love those here. I just feel he is needing some extra boost now as well.