Menu

Netflix Selection Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm browsing netflix right now seeing if I want to sign up for it. Is there more to the selection than what I'm seeing as I'm browsing? For instance, I clicked on Television section and there was only about 15 shows there. Is there more to choose from once I sign up?

I'm mainly wanting to sign up for cool educational shows (or just cool shows ingeneral lol). For instance, I'd love to see a lot of the NOVA shows and also those shows they used to have on PBS (about modern ppl who tried living like pioneers and such, I know there were more of them, I just can't remember right off hand).

Also, what membership is best to sign up with? I'd love some advice there!

Thanks Hive!

In the search box on the Netflix site put in NOVA and you will see what they have. Discovery, history channel, drive by History, BBC all have shows on there but I don't know that they are specifically in the TV show category.

Try looking through the documentaries.

We like Dirty Jobs, Deadliest catch and Meerkat Manor.

Thanks Christina. When I click on the actual documentaries section, it just doesn't bring up a whole heck of a lot at all. Even when I type in PBS, nothing really comes up.

Thanks for the ideas with the shows though.

Netflix has nearly everything mainstream you would want on disc and an increasing selection through the streaming service that includes thousands of options. Netflix's interface and bizarre rec's are one of the only things that is mediocre about it. Do a search for something and you'll see that they have it - they just like to give you some initial recommendations on the front page.

Netflix has nearly everything mainstream you would want on disc and an increasing selection through the streaming service that includes thousands of options. Netflix's interface and bizarre rec's are one of the only things that is mediocre about it. Do a search for something and you'll see that they have it - they just like to give you some initial recommendations on the front page.

Ahhh, thank you. That's what I needed to hear!

I remember thinking the same thing when I was browsing and trying to decide whether or not to join.

Turns out I was only looking at the stuff that was available for instant streaming, rather than the DVD's for mailing. Just make sure you're looking under the correct tab. :)

Netflix's indexing/browsing is terrible! For NOVA shows, I go to the NOVA website and then type the title in the Netflix search box. Often I will go to Wikipedia to look for a list of David Attenborough's work, for example. Wiki will usually tell you if certain novels have been made into films and so on. Or search on Amazon or Google, etc. Netflix has a tremendous stock -- it just doesn't show up when you search on Netflix.

Also, there have been a number of excellent lists posted here, for example:

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/4/1/3/8/808314/uploads/Historical_Movies_and_Documentaries.pdf

(runofthemill family's blog)

Netflix's indexing/browsing is terrible! For NOVA shows, I go to the NOVA website and then type the title in the Netflix search box. Often I will go to Wikipedia to look for a list of David Attenborough's work, for example. Wiki will usually tell you if certain novels have been made into films and so on. Or search on Amazon or Google, etc. Netflix has a tremendous stock -- it just doesn't show up when you search on Netflix.

Also, there have been a number of excellent lists posted here, for example:

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/4/1/3/8/808314/uploads/Historical_Movies_and_Documentaries.pdf

(runofthemill family's blog)

Thanks for the link!

To Everyone:

I just signed up for the 1 month free membership and am searching/browsing. Oh wow!! I'm going to have a ton of stuff in my queue. Lots of good stuff there!