Menu

I hate writing, science, and history

scrapbabe

I don't actually... in fact, I love these subjects. I just can't find a program that I'm happy with for either of these. I want something pick up and go, with great literature to read (history and science). I don't want to spend all day picking books, etc. I can't find what I'm looking for.

Do not want: Joy Hakim History of US, Sonlight (hate the schedule), BF Books (not thrilled with book choices), IEW (just didn't like it although I'm a huge fan of Pudewa), WWE (okay for my younger kids but not older), haven't really bought science stuff cause there's nothing that looks good to me.

Edited to add:

Do not want: All American History (too textbooky), Story of the World (just couldn't get into it - want more christian beliefs). Truthquest seems good but too many book choices - I just want it laid out for me, but I want the books I like. Oh wow, I am a spoiled brat!

I must be super picky, cause everyone else seems to be content with their choices.

Guess I'm hoping someone will have a fabulous program for one or all of these topics that they'll share with me. What are you using?

Shalynn

Edited by scrapbabe

I don't actually... in fact, I love these subjects. I just can't find a program that I'm happy with for either of these. I want something pick up and go, with great literature to read (history and science). I don't want to spend all day picking books, etc. I can't find what I'm looking for.

Do not want: Joy Hakim History of US, Sonlight (hate the schedule), BF Books (not thrilled with book choices), IEW (just didn't like it although I'm a huge fan of Pudewa), WWE (okay for my younger kids but not older), haven't really bought science stuff cause there's nothing that looks good to me.

Edited to add:

Do not want: All American History (too textbooky), Story of the World (just couldn't get into it - want more christian beliefs). Truthquest seems good but too many book choices - I just want it laid out for me, but I want the books I like. Oh wow, I am a spoiled brat!

I must be super picky, cause everyone else seems to be content with their choices.

Guess I'm hoping someone will have a fabulous program for one or all of these topics that they'll share with me. What are you using?

Shalynn

Have you looked at Biblioplan?

And my older 2 are enjoying Writing Strands.

Edited by JudoMom

You didn't mention the ages or the time period but I am very happy with Veritas Press. You can pick a variety of "how much it done for you' versions - anything from just getting the cards/CD and picking all the books yourself, Scholars lessons - books chosen and scheduled for you but you teach, self-paced online course, live online course. The books are very good and I really like the built-in memory work.

Heather

Guest aquiverfull

Well I'm not sure if you would want to spend 3 years on American history but if you are willing to, check out Trail Guide to Learning. They have the first two years for purchase now - Paths of Exploration and Paths of Settlement. POE is meant for 3rd-5th and POS is meant for 4th-6th but they have a Middle School Supplement available for adding in older children. I've used quite a bit of other curriculum and was never happy with history. I am loving Trail Guide- POE. I'm currently using it with a 6th grader and she really loves it as well. It's supposedly everything but Math. You can see samples at www.geomatters.com .

Edited by aquiverfull

Heart of Dakota. If you followed their sequence you would be using Creation to Christ with both kids, extensions for the older. Most HOD users I know prefer the alternate writing program to Write with the Best (I am not sure what that was at the moment).

Notgrass has a new American History course that just came out - just thought I'd throw that out there; also Time Travelers history sets from Homeschool in the Woods.

Have you looked closely at CW or Writing Tales? Both use the progymnasmata and both look very good. Writing Strands is very good too. For an entirely different approach, there's Bravewriter. Or you could just do Rod & Staff's writing exercises that are interspersed throughout their grammar books plus WTM logic-stage writing as laid out in the book.

You're not a spoiled brat, because you sound just like me! Wait, does that mean... , nah, I couldn't be. :) Sometimes to get what you really want you just have to do it yourself. I understand the desire to make sure it's not already out there somewhere first, though.

Edited by Annabel Lee

I understand how you feel. I feel the same way about a lot of the programs you mentioned. I decided to go with Sonlight for history this year for my 5th grader. I am just not paying attention to the schedule. We read the books we like and read them at the pace we want. It isn't exactly what I want, but it is working at the moment.

We just got our science for the year yesterday and started today. We are using physical science by Exploration Education. It doesn't have a lot of books for science like you are wanting, but all morning I heard things like "This is cool!" "This is awesome." I don't know if this will continue all year, but for now it has sparked an interest in my daughter so I am going to go with it. I might add something like Tiner's physics book if we need some extra reading. I haven't looked at the physics one, but I have the biology one and I like it.

Jan

My Father's World or Biblioplan. MFW includes science and it is done well.

For writing, listen do SWB's writing lectures and just do what they say. t is easy to implement, it flows with your other subjects and it prepares your kids for college writing.

I have listened to these, but am not quite sure how to go about implementing them. The idea sounds great.... but I don't quite see the vision of implementation. Maybe I'll listen again.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I guess I'm going to start researching again. Uggh! Thanks for the help. Anymore ideas are welcome!

Shalynn

You're not a spoiled brat, because you sound just like me! Wait, does that mean... , nah, I couldn't be. :) Sometimes to get what you really want you just have to do it yourself. I understand the desire to make sure it's not already out there somewhere first, though.

So long as I'm not alone!:lol: