Menu

How do you fit in Artist/Composer study???1

TXMary2

I know what I want to do for studying artists and composers, my struggle is finding/taking the time to do it.

We are on week 2 of school and haven't done anything art related yet. I feel like we are barely getting the necessities done. Right now ds 6 is writing 1-50 on a fill in chart in his Abeka Math book - it has been nearly 20 minutes and he still isn't done. Technically he should have done this yesterday but it was just too much to have that chart at the end of a lesson where he already answered several math problems. So now it has been two days on one math lesson. He's only 6 so I don't want to spend longer than 20 minutes - I lose him when I do that. Also, I need to stand over him to keep him writing!!!!

I only want to squeeze in the artist/composer study once a week and what I want to do is:

Read about artist

Look at pictures of their work or listen to a piece

Either do an art project related to artist or color a picture of the composer

This should be about 20-30 minutes right? I am so frustrated with not making this happen yet.

I've got the same problem, and am planning on doing the same thing you are! But so far, nothing. Hopeful for this week!

What about reading about the composer/artist during a meal? Then at another meal (maybe even next day) listen to music or look at artwork. Prop up the painting so he/they can look at it while they eat. Also, listening to the music at bedtime is nice. There are also good DVDs about different composers and artists, so that might be a good 30-minute break for you while you make dinner or something? And coloring a picture of artist could be something before books at bedtime, maybe even while you're cleaning up the kitchen or something.

Writing 1-50 seems like an awful lot for a 6-year-old (or anyone!) all in one sitting. Especially if it's going to look nice. That is tedious work. Could you break it up into 3 parts, either throughout the day or over a couple of days? I think my 6-year-old would not like that, and I'd be afraid he'd begin to dislike math.

We do ours after lunch. THe kids really enjoy it, so it's more of an activity rather than school, kwim? They love listening to music and coloring, which is what we do on Mondays (as well as read a short blurb on the composer of the month). Tuesdays we work on learning the recorder, which they enjoy, too. Wed. we have off. Thursday we do an artist study, which only takes about 10-15 minutes and Fridays we do "Drawing with Children", which they also enjoy. So, it does add on to my day - which means it's something extra to prepare and I have less time to do my household work, but to me it's worth it and the kids love it.

We are just fitting this in, on Fridays too (how fun!), going off the Meet the Masters program, which is really sweet, but after we do their activity, we do our own stuff for the rest of the month on that particular artist.

I just made a webpage detailing the artists we'll study and some additional books, maybe it will help someone - Art Appreciation book list.

In addition to art appreciation, we plan to do Artistic Pursuits (general art) once a week, as well as Drawing With Children (realistic drawing) once a week. Whew! I'm quite gung-ho about art this year.

Every once in a while - maybe once every 6 weeks - we'll completely stop all schoolwork for a week. I'll let them spend a week taking them to museums, taking them swimming, assigning art projects and some unit studies. Last time we did this, we did a study of Mozart, Mondrian Art and Picasso during that week. We've also spent time doing unit studies on things like Leonardo da Vinci and visited a science museum here that had a huge exhibit of da Vinci's machines. It was awesome.

That's how we find time for stuff like that. :cheers2:

That's a great idea! We're trying to plan our future vacations and although I always tried to avoid big cities before (I prefer going to National Parks), now I'm lusting after big art museums with famous works. The whole family is looking forward to hitting up the world's major art museums now and we only just started studying art.

(I have posted in more detail about this on my blog).

We're on Day 2. I am tired, and I know it's hard to get it all done.

My plan is:

Mon & Tues: artist study

Thurs: art project

Fri: composer study

I figure we can listen to music while we eat, while the boys play or in the van. Fridays will be mainly about reading about the composer. We have been listening to some Renaissance music and using a listening guide to talk about real basic stuff -- who the music was written for, listening for the different voices, etc. Once we start our Baroque period, hopefully in two weeks, we will begin reading about our composers and listening to music when we can.

We have schooled for two days (full-time since our light summer). Monday, we looked through the beginning of Piero Ventura's book, Great Painters with the intent to sort of review what we learned last year about the Renaissance. We then read the little section about Caravaggio. It took us about ten minutes.

Today, we read the three pages about Caravaggio from Lives of the Great Artists (man, I love this book!).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0500238537/ref=wms_ohs_product

We talked about the four or five paintings shown (they give information about each). It took about 15 minutes.

I have three page protectors on my refrigerator with three of his prints showing. I also have my screensaver set to his prints (19 of them). When we looked at his paintings in the book today, the boys immediately recognized one of them.

They really enjoyed it. We talked about the use of light and how it directs the eye. We talked about how realistic the horse was. The book I linked gives little ideas of what to talk about. Since we have no children's books about him, we will spend next Monday looking at his paintings a little more, and then we will move on.

Edited by nestof3

Right now ds 6 is writing 1-50 on a fill in chart in his Abeka Math book

I don't think all six year olds are ready to do that much writing. I was very laid back with my boys when they were six. I don't think you always have to be, but I tried to be sensitive to what was worth the time and effort. Filling in a chart like that is something that can be done throughout the week while you spend each day doing a little math.

This year we're using Themes to Remember and Come Look With Me series. With these lively, quick, user-friendly books/programs, artists and musicians get done!

We sing a song from Themes to Remember every morning, one new song per week. I copy a page from the book for ds to color on Thursday, when we listen to the entire song and more works from the composer. The book has a quick bio and music appreciation info. If we have time, I check out a book or video about the composer from the library. My SIL was startled on a recent family reunion, when ds said, "Oh, Mom! It's Vivaldi's 'Springtime' from the Four Seasons, first movement, on the radio!" :lol: We listen to other music by the composer throughout the day/week, at breakfast time, cleaning up time, etc.

The Come Look With Me series is a HUGE hit in our house, too. Ds loves to look at the pictures again and again, and insists on showing guests and family members these books. It's amazing what children see in the paintings. We like to play a game where we stare at the picture, then hide the book and take turns quizzing each other. "What color is the girl's bow in her hair?" "Pink?" "No, blue!!!"

Perhaps your library has the Come Look With Me books so you can see them.

I'm saving more in-depth study for later years. We still have gobs and gobs of time...

HTH!

Edited by Medieval Mom

By using Artistic Pursuits we read a bit about the artist, do a little Q&A picture study and crank out a no pressure art project (especially if you pre-order all of the supplies from their list, we use Dick Blick).

In addition to this you could make your weekly screen saver be a piece of art from the artist of the week. This week we have a nice Cimabue painting. It's just gentle exposure.

For composers, we just do it in the car while driving to classes or while drawing or building with blocks.

We use Vox series which are very inexpensive and include both music and bio.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Brahms-Johannes/dp/B000001KDB/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283299951&sr=1-11

We also have this series: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Lives-Upstairs-Barbara-Nichol/dp/B00000212L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283299905&sr=8-1-spell

We also check out music from the library.

For now it's not worth stressing out over. I just want them to be very familiar and comfortable with the language, sights and sounds.

I also get off the hook a bit by constantly communicating with their music teachers about who, what, and when we're studying. Their piano teacher is an especially good story teller, and he'll give them music accordingly. If your kids take lessons, that's a great resource.

Lastly, I would check out if your library (or Netflix if you have it) has dvds like The Magic Flute, Peter and the Wolf, and Vincent and me.

At least with a dvd you can use it when you want to cuddle, or fold laundry. They don't feel like work. :) (except for when they're really cheesy of course ;)).

Unit studies really seem to be the right fit for our family. We've been using FIAR and GTG together. So I try to pick an artist or composer from the country we are studying.

We'll read a little about them, maybe do a coloring page on the artist. Try some imitation work to. If it's music then I try to play it during snack or lunch time. If it's an art project then I will print some work out and add it to the bulletin board, wall etc. Anywhere they will see it often.

We don't ALWAYS do this, but I try to often.

Which Peter and the Wolf would you recommend?

Lastly, I would check out if your library (or Netflix if you have it) has dvds like The Magic Flute, Peter and the Wolf, and Vincent and me.

At least with a dvd you can use it when you want to cuddle, or fold laundry. They don't feel like work. :) (except for when they're really cheesy of course ;)).

We do artist study, composer study, and art projects on Fridays. My youngest three manage to get all their other schoolwork done Monday through Thursday. We do the above three weeks out of the month and take the fourth Friday for field trips. My oldest son is in high school and his Fine Arts takes a little longer than theirs and he usually has some work to do on his core subjects to do on Fridays, but he will double up on the other days to go on field trips. I love that he still wants to do that. :001_smile:

We are just fitting this in, on Fridays too (how fun!), going off the Meet the Masters program, which is really sweet, but after we do their activity, we do our own stuff for the rest of the month on that particular artist.

I just made a webpage detailing the artists we'll study and some additional books, maybe it will help someone - Art Appreciation book list.

In addition to art appreciation, we plan to do Artistic Pursuits (general art) once a week, as well as Drawing With Children (realistic drawing) once a week. Whew! I'm quite gung-ho about art this year.

Thank you for putting this together! I also wanted to say that I love your blog! I have found so much useful information on it!

So many of you have great ideas and suggestions! Thanks!

Regarding the writing 1-50....I agree it was too much and that is why I had him do that as his only math today. It was actually just ONE part of an Abeka lesson and I thought it was overkill

Also, I do have some "Come Look With Me" books that I want to use. To whoever suggested Breakfast time - that is a great idea and I think I can do that! I like the idea of Friday Fun Day. My only hesitation is that starting 9/9 we will be doing Co-op on Thursdays until mid November........I'll figure something out.

We do it during tea time. Very low key. Each week rotates between an artist, a composer, or a poet. Over the course of the week, we read about the artist's life, listen to their music, do a picture study of their work, listen to their poetry, or whatever. This way they're at the table, but they're primed for fun, which puts them in the right mindframe.

For artist study we are studying only 3 artist per year in-depth. This year those artists are Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael. We study six works of art by each artist, which is one work every two weeks.

On the first day of a new artist we read a book about him. So far our favorite books have been the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series by Mike Venezia.

Then we fill out an artist biography notebooking page about the artist. (I've made up my own for other artists based on this basic template.)

Lastly, we begin looking at our first selection of the artist's work. We spend only a couple of minutes looking at it. Then I ask a few questions from this list.

This is the only day that art takes very long, and it only happens three times per school year! That's manageable for me!

The second week that we study a work of art we try to reproduce it, or do a coloring page on the piece if I have one. If we're running short on time we simply study the work for a few more minutes and I ask a few different questions to get them thinking about the art.

For once weekly art projects we're using Discovering Great Artists by MaryAnn Kohl. I love this book! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you use Amazon's Look Inside! feature. We read the brief biography of the artist and fill out the name, dates lived, and location born on a biography notebooking page for them, then we get to the project.

I love that the artists are in chronological order, it just seems to fit with the classical model. The boys' art notebooks are like little art timelines.

I take a picture of each project and print it on cardstock (I don't worry about being fancy and printing on photo paper.) Then we tape it to the notebooking page.

For composer study we use Classics for Kids podcasts. We listen to one per week. There are four per composer, so we end up studying nine composers per year. You can read more details about how we do it on my blog, but I'll give a summary here.

The first week of a new composer we listen to the first podcast, then we do the activity sheet and fill out a composer biography sheet, made myself using the same template as the artist biography notebooking page that I linked to above.

After we finish the bio sheet we watch or listen to some of the composer's work using YouTube videos.

For weeks two through four of the composer we only have to listen to the next podcast and watch/listen to another YouTube video.

On weeks when we're feeling crunched for time we listen to the podcasts in the car and skip the YouTube videos. I try to make a note that we didn't get to them and I'll pop one up at random times when I'm sitting here at the forums and the kids are playing nearby. I just mention who the composer is and they generally listen.

Ok, this turned out to be a very long post! lol Hopefully it is helpful to someone.

This sounds like a great plan.

For artist study we are studying only 3 artist per year in-depth. This year those artists are Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael. We study six works of art by each artist, which is one work every two weeks.

On the first day of a new artist we read a book about him. So far our favorite books have been the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series by Mike Venezia.

Then we fill out an artist biography notebooking page about the artist. (I've made up my own for other artists based on this basic template.)

Lastly, we begin looking at our first selection of the artist's work. We spend only a couple of minutes looking at it. Then I ask a few questions from this list.

This is the only day that art takes very long, and it only happens three times per school year! That's manageable for me!

The second week that we study a work of art we try to reproduce it, or do a coloring page on the piece if I have one. If we're running short on time we simply study the work for a few more minutes and I ask a few different questions to get them thinking about the art.

For once weekly art projects we're using Discovering Great Artists by MaryAnn Kohl. I love this book! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you use Amazon's Look Inside! feature. We read the brief biography of the artist and fill out the name, dates lived, and location born on a biography notebooking page for them, then we get to the project.

I love that the artists are in chronological order, it just seems to fit with the classical model. The boys' art notebooks are like little art timelines.

I take a picture of each project and print it on cardstock (I don't worry about being fancy and printing on photo paper.) Then we tape it to the notebooking page.

For composer study we use Classics for Kids podcasts. We listen to one per week. There are four per composer, so we end up studying nine composers per year. You can read more details about how we do it on my blog, but I'll give a summary here.

The first week of a new composer we listen to the first podcast, then we do the activity sheet and fill out a composer biography sheet, made myself using the same template as the artist biography notebooking page that I linked to above.

After we finish the bio sheet we watch or listen to some of the composer's work using YouTube videos.

For weeks two through four of the composer we only have to listen to the next podcast and watch/listen to another YouTube video.

On weeks when we're feeling crunched for time we listen to the podcasts in the car and skip the YouTube videos. I try to make a note that we didn't get to them and I'll pop one up at random times when I'm sitting here at the forums and the kids are playing nearby. I just mention who the composer is and they generally listen.

Ok, this turned out to be a very long post! lol Hopefully it is helpful to someone.

This is great! I do have the "Discovering Great Artists" book and I will be getting "Discovering Great American Artists" by the same author.

Yes, someone mentioned a movie version of this, and I believe the one you are referring to is the same one my boys watched. They thought it was creepy too. It was creepy to me too.

We listen to an old record narrated by Angela Rippon. I tried to get the girls to watch the instant watch Peter and the Wolf movie on Netflix, but they were totally creeped out by it. :glare:

Here's a little something I worked on over the weekend, a sortable "Top 100 Famous Artists List"! I am keenly aware that a list such as this is very subjective. Here's how I came up with the rankings. I took popular children's books/programs on art, gave each artist a point if they were covered, and then sorted it that way. Van Gogh tops at number one!

I think this list is pretty cool as you can sort by last name, year of birth, death, country, gender, main occupation (painter, sculptor) and ranking. It might help people think about what artists to cover in their art studies.

I'll do the same for composers next.

One thing, this is coming from one of my Google Docs and there are some limitations, so I have to work these out yet. That's why the ranking is showing 0 for everyone, but if you click on the Rank heading, it will sort them by rank.

I haven't even included artist/composer studies in our curriculum as classical music is something we do for fun as a family. Every year I pick out several Seattle Symphony performances/chamber music performances for our family to attend. In preparation, a day or two beforehand, I'll sit down at the computer with Matt and give him a quick rundown of the composers of the pieces being performed, their place in the history of music and download a few of the composers' more famous works, which we'll listen to in sections while I point out some of the significant motifs that recur in the composer's pieces, that help make that composer identifiable when you're listening to a piece of music and don't know whose it is. My knowledge of classical music is not vast, but I've picked up a fair amount of knowledge along the way as the one child who loved classical music in my family, as someone who studied cello from 4th grade through high school and as someone who took all the required classes to have a minor in music (but chickened out when it came to auditioning for the things that would give the the required performance credits).

I have 30 minutes twice a week planned for art and art appreciation, and 10 minutes four times a week for music.

Day 1 of art will be two 15 minute sessions. We will do a project on art concepts (line, background, texture, etc.) We will look at a few paintings that show that particular concept. The second session of 15 minutes we will read about an artist, either a book, or online, and look at a couple examples of their work.

Day 2 of art we will review what we learned about the artist earlier in the week, and look at more(or the same) samples of their work. Then we will do a piece inspired by their work.

We will do the same artist for 2 weeks. For this year, our artist study won't be matching up with our history (US and then prehistory) because I really want to cover some of the big ones, and the more popular ones are also easier to find books/information for younger children.

For music, we already listen to a wide range of music, but I really want to actually study some classical music.

Day 1 - listen to a piece and learn a little about the composer

Day 2 - listen to a piece and talk about how it makes us feel, draw a picture to show how it makes us feel

Day 3 - watch the piece being performed (youtube, library videos, etc.)

Day 4 - learn a little more about the composer, do some dancing while we listen

We will do the same composer for two weeks in a row also, and again, hitting on the big ones for this year.

It is a lot to explain, but it is actually pretty simple and painless. Plus, since we are going to do the same artist/composer for two weeks, if we miss a day it won't be too horrible.

Thanks for all these ideas and thanks for the list Angela! One thing I've noticed is that there tends to be tons of books, etc. on the Impressionists and much less on other artists. I love the Impressionists, but I'd love my kids to know more than that.

I'm not sure where I got my general knowledge in the area but I know it really helped me in college. It was helpful to know not just the artists but also the mythological, historical and religious stories many of the works were based on. I grew up going to the museum all the time and need to do that more with my kids. We do go to the Symphony which we enjoy.

I take a totally different approach to artist study from what most people seem to do.

I'm quite knowledgeable about art, having spent loads of time in art museums with my parents when I was a child, and having continued this interest as an adult. I have visited most of the major art museums in Europe at one time or another, many of them several times. I also took art history courses in college, including at least one usually only taken by art history majors.

I live just outside of Washington, DC, so it's easy for us to get to quite a few art museums, most of them free.

The upshot of all this is that I'm taking a very casual approach to art history. I am confident that my children will obtain an entirely sufficient education in art history by visiting museums, discussing art with me and with my husband, reading books about art and artists that we already own, and pursuing their own interests.

We also attend programs at the National Gallery of Art.

Edited by skueppers

I take a totally different approach to artist study from what most people seem to do.

I'm quite knowledgeable about art, having spent loads of time in art museums with my parents when I was a child, and having continued this interest as an adult. I have visited most of the major art museums in Europe at one time or another, many of them several times. I also took art history courses in college, including at least one usually only taken by art history majors.

I live just outside of Washington, DC, so it's easy for us to get to quite a few art museums, most of them free.

The upshot of all this is that I'm taking a very casual approach to art history. I am confident that my children will obtain an entirely sufficient education in art history by visiting museums, discussing art with me and with my husband, reading books about art and artists that we already own, and pursuing their own interests.

We also attend programs at the National Gallery of Art.

That sounds a lot like my exposure (less Europe travel, but similar) and it *did* work for me. My parents also were dedicated symphony goers and drug me to lots plays, musicals, opera etc.

So maybe I worry too much, but it isn't the focus of travel and leisure time for me and my husband as a family, and I worry my 2 boys will just have different "natural" exposure than what I did as an only child of 2 "culture vulture" parents. But if you are able to do that, it is great.

We do art appreciation on Monday afternoons. I don't have any set curriculum. My goal is just to give exposure and spark an interest. I just want my children to enjoy looking at art and gain...well...an appreciation for it! If you want to do specific artist/composer studies, then I would suggest spacing things out....maybe look at one artist over a few weeks....just take it slow and have fun with it!

Since we're doing TOG year 1, for a couple of weeks our art appreciation time included looking at a huge Egyptian art book I checked out from the library. DD also LOVES looking through Art Fraud Detective. She probably isn't learning much about the artists, but she is looking very closely at the art! We are currently working through the intro pages of the Usborne Introduction to Art book. We also have most of the Laurence Anholt artist books and similiar picture books that she also loves. Our art appreciation time may include reading one of those and looking at more works by that artist online. We took a trip to our state art museum a couple of weeks ago. I had checked out a handbook of our museum from the library. I stumbled upon it by mistake. Anyways, we were able to read in detail about some of the exhibits beforehand, and it made such a difference in our visit. Your museum's website may have info online that would be helpful to read beforehand.

For music appreciation this year, we're using Melody Lane (Calvert). We've been focusing on the instruments of the orchestra. I bought CD's of Children's classics, including Peter and the Wolf, the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and Carnival of the Animals. We also listen to a classical radio station in the car and the kids practice picking out instruments. Melody Lane also includes some composers. My plan is to read a little bit about the composer and just play CD's throughout the weeks while we're out and about. We may only look at a few composers the whole year. We also took the kids to the symphony a few weeks ago to see The Wizard of Oz. It was at an amphitheatre. We took some time to walk by the orchestra and point out the instruments. There was also a time beforehand where they could play some of the instruments. I looked into our nearby symphonies and found that most of them have kid concerts. We bought season tickets for our family to four concerts. You may have something similiar in your area.

For composer/music study, I am making a playlist of classical music that I am downloading onto the computer. This week we are listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D. Yesterday, we listened and just discussed what a canon is and how you can hear the different parts in the music. Today I noticed that someone had gone ahead and put the music on of their own accord to listen again. Yay!

I plan to listen to this a few times this week then add a new piece of music next week. Then we will play 'Guess the music' where I will play a short section of one piece and they will identify the piece of music the selection comes from. Each week we will add another listening piece, and the identification game will get harder. We will begin to compare composers styles, instrumentation and periods of music etc as the kids become familiar with each piece of music. This will only take a few minutes each day and the music can be played during lunch or chores.

That's my plan, anyway.... :001_smile:

I would just like to say to everyone...thank you very much!!! We do the 3 artists/composers a year per child. I did not know about all of these other on-line resources. I am coordinating an Art Group for our Co-Op and these links are going to be soooo wonderful!!!!

many thanks.....

yvonne