Menu

? for Ambleside users

mama25angels

I should probably not answer this since we haven't used AO. I've looked at it (a lot) and we are Charlotte Mason, so I'm going to take a stab anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the idea is to read 1 ch in one sitting - unless it is very long and needs to be broken down over a couple (or several) days. The idea being that you will read a history selection one day, a biography one day, something from literature one day, maybe a fairy tale one day, etc. Different genres on different days, but short selections to keep the lessons short, especially in the younger years. And allowing time for all of the readings to be followed by narrations of some type, as well.

Wow, sorry for all the poor sentence structure - the fussy baby is very distracting. :tongue_smilie:

HTH,

Melissa

Most things I read in one setting - because it's easier for me. I do stop (often) for DS to narrate, as he is still learning that skill. Some things took multiple settings (Beauty and the Beast comes to mind).

Short lessons, like Melissa said, and narrate. After reading LCC I simplified our schedule to match - so history one day, nature study & natural history another, etc.

Amy

I usually spread long chapters over a few days, too. Ds (9y/o, AO Yr3) does better with 3-4 pages at a time of many books, than 12 pages of 1 book. Narrations are better and more specific. I may change to full chapters in the future, but for now I'll just do whatever works.

Somewhere on the AO website, they state that they have assigned the work by the week, so that parents and children can spread it out as they see fit. Some families need to break up a chapter and read a little bit each day, others sit down and read the whole thing. Some books, such as poetry, are *meant* to be read every day (although I imagine not everyone does this).

Ds is in AO2 reads a chapter of a couple of the assigned books a day in one sitting. We are only in Year 2, however! Some of the upper years have meatier texts and may need to be split up.

We have all the readings on an Excel spreadsheet planner, dividing the weekly lessons into 5 chunks. For example, today ds read a chapter in CHOW, a Hans Christian Anderson story ("The Nightingale"), and then read several chapters in Mary Poppins for free reading and several poems. Tomorrow, he'll read 2 chapters in Burgess's Animal Book, a chapter in SOTW2 (we add in), a chapter in Understood Betsy, a poem or two, etc.

HTH:)

Thank you!! It just seems that the chapters are so long, i'm going to try it anyway though, I think he can handle it.

If the chapters seem long to you or to your dc, split them up! If your dc want to keep reading to the end, let them!

In AO 2, The Little Duke is schedule 1/2 chapter per week. We started out that way, but ds quickly gained interest in the story line and asked to keep reading to the end of the chapter. Of course, I let him. (I'm a softie.) :D

All this to say, that you may find that in the beginning of the year, your dc need to split up the chapters, and that by the end of the year, they'll be so into the reading that they read the entire chapter in a sitting. :)

Thanks!! Medieval Mom we are doing the yr.2 literature and I think i'll have to break it up for my ds for awhile longer, he's still struggling to learn to read but making fabulous progress so I think i'll have to take things slowly for him.

Yep! When their eyes start glazing over, enough is enough! ;)

It's up to Mom and student. Long chapters get broken down ....short ones read through. Always try to leave off at a cliff-hanger. For more difficult passages, stop often for narrations. I usually have my littles narrate every 5 minutes or so...taking turns....and I have them narrate something I KNOW they can answer.

Enjoy AO Year 1. It is one of my fovorites.

~~faithe

Thanks Faithe. One more quick question for you guys, how do you do your Geography? I have Trail Guide to World Geography and the KQ Medieval maps, i'm thinking it might be easier for me to use those instead of trying to do map drills. We are reading "Around the world in a 100 Years" though.

Edited by mama25angels

We do several things for geography. For second grade, we're using Geography Songs in the morning. Ds loves them! We also do the mapwork from the Beautiful Feet guide for our Holling C. Holling books. I ordered the maps from BF and had them laminated locally. We use a dry erase marker. Ds really looks forward to this, too. In 1st, we did a few pages from a traditional map skills workbook.

We are keeping the geography books in AO (or using our own), but I will supplement with mapwork from mapskills workbooks. Several other programs we use include mapwork, such as SOTW, R&S Bible (when we get there), and Lively Latin (if we decide to use it ;)).

I do want to try map drill, especially to learn the capitals and states of the U.S.A. I think it sounds like a fun, doable way to learn. For my ds, we will wait until he is older to implement it.

We look at the globe AT LEAST once a week, to discuss where our family and friends live (we family overseas), where the setting of our book is, etc. In 2nd grade, this is all rather informal. Ds is just beginning to comprehend that Norway is MUCH farther away than the capital of our state ;)

Edited by Medieval Mom