Menu

K Webster's Speller to teach reading, weekly schedule

ElizabethB

I had to bump this for the great info and to give a thank you again to Elizabeth!

We have been working since last weekend- using Elizabeth's concentration game and then started Monday doing Blend Phonics using the instructions and readers from Elizabeth. We are absolutely loving it. I love working on the spelling at the same time as reading. I love that you have the rules spelled(ha) out and in the instructions you also have info about teaching the syllables as well. I feel like it is finally clicking for both of us and I'm finally understanding the phonics! I finally feel I have the confidence and see his reading really taking off already. I think he is at the point that he is ready and with all this great instruction I think he is going to be a strong reader soon! I LOVE using the whiteboard as well- it is amazing, it really is!

We also just started the concentration game this week and my son loves it! He requests to play it again in the evenings! I am not setting it up as concentration, I just make a 1 pile and 2 pile and we take the top card from each. We are also practicing tally points this way, as I make him keep score on the white board! Thank you Elizabeth.

The only thing I noticed (and I made my own handwritten cards for this) is that ch and sh are not included in the 1 cards. Any reason for this?

So when do students learn the phonograms (i.e. the sound of "sh," etc.)? I'm also wondering if there is a more extensive syllabus somewhere. It seems to me it would be beneficial to include ace, ice, age, etc.

TIA!

It may be simpler for you to combine it with blend phonics...on my how to tutor page, I have a document called "Guide to using Blend Phonics," link #4 at the end of the page. It tells how to teach things and how to add in spelling rules.

You start out with sh and all the sounds before you do the syllabary. Words like "ace, ice, age" are taught later as words.

Ok. I am trying to understand how to do this, but I am really confused.:confused: Do I just say the two letter 'words' and she writes them? Does she spell them? Do I show her what they look like first and then test her? Is there a part that tells us when to use long vowel sounds/short vowel sounds? I've been looking at the Websters speller for two days, and I still do not understand what to do. For example, the word Find uses a long I sound, but the word Fill uses a short I sound...how do I explain why? I can not find where in Websters it tells us that kind of thing... I feel so stupid! I'm a good reader and speller, reading is my favorite pastime. However, I was not taught phonics or spelling rules at all. I think I can see when a word looks 'off' because I read a lot, but I can't explain WHY it's wrong, kwim? sorry for such dumb questions...:tongue_smilie:

You also might be helped by the above link to my Blend Phonics guide, the spelling rules for things like find are in there. (Although, I find that a K student will not really understand the rules. I say them anyway, but rules don't sink in until later in most cases, at age 6, 7, 8...)

You should NOT read things for your student. You show them how they blend together and teach them how to sound them out and spell them. Telling produces sight word learning (and I'm not a fan of sight anything, although sight syllables would be better than sight words.)

I saw a video recently of Elizabeth and her daughter (I think) going through a lesson together, but now I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know what I'm talking about or where I might find it? It's not the concentration game; it was an actual reading lesson. TIA!

It is linked from my Webster page, here is the direct link:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/usingwebstermovi.html

Edited by ElizabethB

Thank you, Elizabeth B!

I'm so glad to know that I will be able to use this will my child! He's so eager to learn to read and spell. I'm looking forward to this adventure. :001_smile:

Exciting!! :001_smile:

Well, we did the syllabry for a while and then we went on break and I'm just now actually printing it off to make it easier.

Elizabeth- We did your concentration game last night and I was worried ds wouldn't do well but he knew them all but one- which is great news that he does know the sounds. We have used I See Sam as our primary and I've worried about him applying the sounds into different words. He only missed one, I didn't use all the cards though as we haven't learned them all, when I tested him last week he was at a 1.2 reading level, which is what his last ISeeSam BR3 book was labeled. I think next time I'll add in more and see how he does, and the better news was that he found it fun.

Oh, and the nonsense words link on your site goes to a dead site- I had to comeback and search your posts here for nonsense words to find the right link.

So, we are starting the syllabry again. I have a daughter 4.5 yo who will be along for the ride. I don't *think* she is ready to learn but we shall see I guess.

I'll fix the link, thanks.

You're starting to have a real one-room schoolhouse just like Webster!! :001_smile:

I just made a google doc of the Webster's Lessons in the order you listed them:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KKZYUuRw9cUi-pzV3BkMW97Yj0ljvgqSeC5JPvFeyMc/edit?hl=en_US

That's great, thank you so much!! :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I had to bump this for the great info and to give a thank you again to Elizabeth!

We have been working since last weekend- using Elizabeth's concentration game and then started Monday doing Blend Phonics using the instructions and readers from Elizabeth. We are absolutely loving it. I love working on the spelling at the same time as reading. I love that you have the rules spelled(ha) out and in the instructions you also have info about teaching the syllables as well. I feel like it is finally clicking for both of us and I'm finally understanding the phonics! I finally feel I have the confidence and see his reading really taking off already. I think he is at the point that he is ready and with all this great instruction I think he is going to be a strong reader soon! I LOVE using the whiteboard as well- it is amazing, it really is!

:party:

The only thing I noticed (and I made my own handwritten cards for this) is that ch and sh are not included in the 1 cards. Any reason for this?

I just didn't think to add them at the beginning! I'll have to add them next time I update my concentration cards. That's a good thought, I don't think I would have ever noticed, I've had mostly the same cards for about 10 years and have only made a few changes--I deleted several endings because they made too many swear words and a few other endings that made too many ambiguous words. (Like -ost which can be long or short depending on the word.)

• 3 weeks later...
Elizabeth,

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned and I missed it, but how long do you think it would take to work through the entire speller?

It took my daughter a few months less than a school year, but she already had CVC words down at that point.

My son, I expect it to take 2 years. He is still reviewing with PP and my game until he will be ready to start back up with 2 syllable words, he forgot a fair amount even though we did some work over the summer.

I did not do all of the 2+ syllable words with my daughter, and I will not with my son. I just do the more frequent words, and an occasional obscure one for vocabulary practice. I did maybe half of the 2 syllable words, then a bit less of each type of word. We did only a few 6+ syllable words.

• 6 months later...
Guest Xapis10

I am trying to find a page (either here, or on Elizabeth's website) that lists helpful phonics books (and maybe spelling resources too?), including one that lists phonics rules. I believe the page said this book will probably be needed, and I think I will want it. Help please? :)

I'm also wondering if I'm missing something with the syllable lessons (we're on week 4) - should I be supplementing with suggestions from the "Teaching New Students" page (at thephonicspage.org)? It almost seems too easy (not a criticism - I just worry maybe that I don't know what I'm doing).

One more question (sorry!!!) - How do you have students "spell" syllables? Do you say one and then have them spell(write) it? Or do you just have them copy the syllables you taught that day and then say them? Should we be having them figure out when to spell with an "i" or "y" for the long "i" sound?

Guest Xapis10

One example of why I'm second guessing myself about missing things: I just read that we're supposed to mix up the syllables (not always going in vowel order). I hope I'm not missing more details like that...

I am trying to find a page (either here, or on Elizabeth's website) that lists helpful phonics books (and maybe spelling resources too?), including one that lists phonics rules. I believe the page said this book will probably be needed, and I think I will want it. Help please? :)

I'm also wondering if I'm missing something with the syllable lessons (we're on week 4) - should I be supplementing with suggestions from the "Teaching New Students" page (at thephonicspage.org)? It almost seems too easy (not a criticism - I just worry maybe that I don't know what I'm doing).

One more question (sorry!!!) - How do you have students "spell" syllables? Do you say one and then have them spell(write) it? Or do you just have them copy the syllables you taught that day and then say them? Should we be having them figure out when to spell with an "i" or "y" for the long "i" sound?

Linked at the bottom of my how to tutor page are the spelling rules. I have more phonics and spelling book links on this page.

They both spell them and sound them out. At first, this is a painful /a/ /t/ "at" but eventually is a quick ab eb ib ob ub. (Longer with some students.)

And, yes, I just say a syllable or two and have them spell it. If they need help, I emphasize the sound of each letter and give further hints as necessary until they get it.

I don't worry too much about when syllables that are also words are spelled with an i or a y, they just learn that both letters make the long i sound at the end of syllables. Once they are getting the syllables down, you can challenge them to see how many ways they can spell the syllable "si" (6!) ci, cy, si, sy, sci, scy!

One example of why I'm second guessing myself about missing things: I just read that we're supposed to mix up the syllables (not always going in vowel order). I hope I'm not missing more details like that...

You eventually want to make sure they can read and spell them out of order as well once they learn them in order--the syllables are the basis of the whole system and need to be over-learned.

It is actually fairly easy, just a bit different than what people are used to now. They had no instructions for it back in the day because it is fairly easy and if you saw it taught 6 times in a one-room school, you were good to go, no manual needed.

Edited by ElizabethB

Hi,

Oh man, I wish I had posted yesterday! I would have loved to hear that talk!

My 4.5 yo ds and I have been working with Webster's Syllabary for several months now, and I recently re-read this thread and noticed that you emphasize knowing how to spell each syllable before moving along. I didn't catch that :blushing: until we were at least 3/4 of the way through pronouncing and reading, but NOT spelling, the initial tables. I have since gone back to the beginning and we're slowly working through spelling, but we also have continued through the tables and are working on reading some words, too. He loves sounding out new words, and is really making good progress on reading, so I hate to stop going forward if I can avoid it.

My original phonics plan was to go through Webster's once through the first 10-15 word lists, then work through Blend Phonics, and then go back through Webster's a second time, and to use the word lists as spelling/vocab each week.

My question is this: Will I be hurting ds's ability to spell, if we DON'T hit spelling really hard, even on the word lists, this time through?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense! :). I'm certainly willing to slow way down and go back to the beginning more fully if that is crucial for successful spelling later. But I just wasn't sure how critical the spelling element is the first time through.

Thank you!

Carrie

Hi,

Oh man, I wish I had posted yesterday! I would have loved to hear that talk!

My 4.5 yo ds and I have been working with Webster's Syllabary for several months now, and I recently re-read this thread and noticed that you emphasize knowing how to spell each syllable before moving along. I didn't catch that :blushing: until we were at least 3/4 of the way through pronouncing and reading, but NOT spelling, the initial tables. I have since gone back to the beginning and we're slowly working through spelling, but we also have continued through the tables and are working on reading some words, too. He loves sounding out new words, and is really making good progress on reading, so I hate to stop going forward if I can avoid it.

My original phonics plan was to go through Webster's once through the first 10-15 word lists, then work through Blend Phonics, and then go back through Webster's a second time, and to use the word lists as spelling/vocab each week.

My question is this: Will I be hurting ds's ability to spell, if we DON'T hit spelling really hard, even on the word lists, this time through?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense! :). I'm certainly willing to slow way down and go back to the beginning more fully if that is crucial for successful spelling later. But I just wasn't sure how critical the spelling element is the first time through.

Thank you!

Carrie

You need to know the syllables so well that you can spell and read them in any order.

But, the later words, you can progress with reading without waiting for spelling. I find it is helpful to work on spelling a few, but you don't need to spell every single word or go for spelling mastery past the syllables.

You need to know the syllables so well that you can spell and read them in any order.

But, the later words, you can progress with reading without waiting for spelling. I find it is helpful to work on spelling a few, but you don't need to spell every single word or go for spelling mastery past the syllables.

A-ha! Ok, we'll get more serious about spelling the syllables then.

Thank you!

Hey Elizabeth, your seminar was really good.

One quick question...what do you recommend for better fluency?

Thanks!

I like the 1908 Webster and the 1879 McGuffey readers.

Also, I find with my students that over-learning the phonics helps with fluency. When you're not working hard on decoding each word it is easier to read with fluency and expression.

• Like 1

Guest Xapis10

They both spell them and sound them out. At first, this is a painful /a/ /t/ "at" but eventually is a quick ab eb ib ob ub. (Longer with some students.)

And, yes, I just say a syllable or two and have them spell it. If they need help, I emphasize the sound of each letter and give further hints as necessary until they get it.

OK, so double checking my understanding... After teaching some syllables for the day, I say some syllables for my student to spell (by writing or making with magnets), and after he makes the syllables, he sounds them out?

I read something you told someone about never reading things for the student from the speller - does this also apply to syllables? Should I sound it out, and then have him say it (when I'm initially teaching the syllable)?

I listened to your seminar yesterday - it was great to hear you!! Can't thank you enough.

I'm still confused about the complete phonics rules book that I thought I saw on a page of yours. I'm not sure that it's any of the books suggested on that link (the phonics and spelling books page). I'm starting to glean some rules from your videos and pages, but I was thinking a book would be helpful (especially since I thought I read of one that you said was something most people would want). I don't have the best memory - I'm sure I could be wrong! :) But if I'm doing the syllabary and then the speller (with perhaps some combination of Blend Phonics), what else will I need? And is there a great reference book for rules?

One last question mostly from curiosity (so it doesn't even need an answer) - why did you choose to put these beginning lessons on this forum instead of your website? Not that it matters - it's helpful either way!!!

Guest Xapis10
Yesterday, we did sh and I showed him the difference between she and he since he talked about that. (We were working on pronouns in CC on Monday, so he did a little pronoun chant!!)

What is "CC?"

OK, so double checking my understanding... After teaching some syllables for the day, I say some syllables for my student to spell (by writing or making with magnets), and after he makes the syllables, he sounds them out?

I read something you told someone about never reading things for the student from the speller - does this also apply to syllables? Should I sound it out, and then have him say it (when I'm initially teaching the syllable)?

You initially do have to teach it by sounding out, but you should never just say words, you should always either sound them out yourself first or help you child sound them out or have them sound it out. After you sound each of the syllables out, however, you can read the whole line so they hear the pattern of them all in a row.

I listened to your seminar yesterday - it was great to hear you!! Can't thank you enough.

:blush: Thanks!

I'm still confused about the complete phonics rules book that I thought I saw on a page of yours. I'm not sure that it's any of the books suggested on that link (the phonics and spelling books page). I'm starting to glean some rules from your videos and pages, but I was thinking a book would be helpful (especially since I thought I read of one that you said was something most people would want). I don't have the best memory - I'm sure I could be wrong! :) But if I'm doing the syllabary and then the speller (with perhaps some combination of Blend Phonics), what else will I need? And is there a great reference book for rules?

All the rules but the syllable division rules are linked at the end of my how to tutor page, #5 at the bottom of the page. I have all the rules on another document that is not yet on my website, it will be on the spelling page eventually.

One last question mostly from curiosity (so it doesn't even need an answer) - why did you choose to put these beginning lessons on this forum instead of your website? Not that it matters - it's helpful either way!!!

The only people crazy/motivated enough to try to teach their children to read with a Speller are classical homeschoolers. Well, there may be a few other random motivated people out there, but I have not yet encountered them. (And I ask a lot of people, too! I manage to slip phonics and how your child is reading and if you want a reading grade level test and if you want to teach Webster's Speller into the conversation if I can!!)

What is "CC?"

Classical Conversations. It is a nationwide classical co-op. When we were moving once a year, I did it for community and continuity. Once we slowed down our moving pace enough that I could take the time to find a good local co-op, I switched to that.

Edited by ElizabethB

Guest Xapis10
You initially do have to teach it by sounding out, but you should never just say words, you should always either sound them out yourself first or help you child sound them out or have them sound it out. After you sound each of the syllables out, however, you can read the whole line so they hear the pattern of them all in a row.

Classical Conversations. It is a nationwide classical co-op.

When I ask my DC to sound out the syllables (after I've sounded them out initially and we've both said it blended), he often just says the syllable. DC's catching on quickly, and yet I want to be careful to not let him have a guessing habit. Sometimes when we sound out a one-syllable word (like CVC), he might guess the ending sound, instead of being more careful and slow. He will also occasionally get syllables wrong, by wanting to add extra sounds in (like "r" in the middle of the pa, pe... syllables). When he does that incorrectly, I remind him to sound it all out from left to right. Do you think I should not allow him to say syllables, without always sounding them out first?

I asked about CC because of a comment you made about your son doing pronouns in "CC." I'm curious if you have any strong recommendations (or non-recommendations) regarding when to start grammar, and what to use. In other words, are there recommendations based on being congruous with the syllabary and speller, or would basically any decent approach to grammar be ok?

Guest Xapis10

Should "THA, THE, THI, THO, THU, THY" be done as in "this" or as in "think?" (am I a perfectionist, or an ignoramus? :001_huh: )

Guest Xapis10

Elizabeth, I must apologize again for piling up questions! Asking one more time about a complete reference for phonics rules. Your list of rules is certainly helpful!! But when it brings up more questions for me, I'm wondering about a place to find answers, besides bothering you :)

I'm guessing the "ABC's and all their tricks" isn't quite right, since it's more statistical, rather than a reference of "rules?" Do you mostly recommend this book for teaching remedial students, rather than new ones?

I'm curious if you have any strong recommendations (or non-recommendations) regarding when to start grammar, and what to use. In other words, are there recommendations based on being congruous with the syllabary and speller, or would basically any decent approach to grammar be ok?

There is nothing special for use with the syllabary and speller. I did grammar in 1st with my daughter but am focusing on phonics with my son, he is not as far along as she was at this age. I plan on doing a bit of grammar with him the last few weeks of the month. With my daughter, she was reading well so we started gently with Jr. Mad libs and some fun library books like "If you were a verb." We then did FLL and then MCT. (MCT light in 1st or 2nd grade and then more as written when she was older.)

Should "THA, THE, THI, THO, THU, THY" be done as in "this" or as in "think?" (am I a perfectionist, or an ignoramus? :001_huh: )

You actually should do it twice, once each way!

Elizabeth, I must apologize again for piling up questions! Asking one more time about a complete reference for phonics rules. Your list of rules is certainly helpful!! But when it brings up more questions for me, I'm wondering about a place to find answers, besides bothering you :)

I'm guessing the "ABC's and all their tricks" isn't quite right, since it's more statistical, rather than a reference of "rules?" Do you mostly recommend this book for teaching remedial students, rather than new ones?

The ABCs book is good for both new and remedial students. It has rules and exceptions and is a great resource. If you were really motivated, you could use it to teach spelling all by itself.

However, How to Teach Spelling, the manual, is probably an easier resource to use, but not quite as extensive.

When I have questions not answered by "The ABCs and all Their Tricks," I refer to the original 17,000 word study it was based on, I have a copy. It makes big dictionaries look small. I don't pull it out that often. (The study is by Hanna, "Phoneme-grapheme correspondences as cues to spelling improvement.")

Guest Xapis10

However, How to Teach Spelling, the manual, is probably an easier resource to use, but not quite as extensive.

Thanks again for all the help! And thanks in advance for what I'm about to clarify :) No rush for answers!

I wasn't sure which book you were referring to - is it one of the ones below?:

How to Teach Any Child to Spell by Gayle Graham

How To Teach Spelling Laura Toby Rudginsky

Also still curious about what you would recommend about making my son sound out syllables a little more slowly for a while, instead of saying them outright (Not sure if you saw that question above. I have made sure that I don't say the syllables outright, but I'll sound them out the first time through). Today again he wanted to add in extra sounds (between an "S" and a vowel), but then again, sounding it out slowly took quite a while to help. When it gets in his brain to put a "p" sound after "s," he has a hard time leaving it out!

Guest Xapis10

Week 11:

D1. A, E, I, O, U. More short vowel review. Read AT, IN, UP, OFF, ON. Spelled AP, EP, IP, OP, UP.

D2. A, E, I, O, U. Spelled AM, MA; EM, ME; IM, MI, MY; OM, MO; UM, MU. Spelled NUT, LAP, TEN, DIG, SIP, MOP, FUN, FUNNY (at his request, feeding him the info that it had 2 n's and the e sound at the end was spelled y.)

This is the big reason I'm looking for a reference for rules! :) When my son wants to spell new words, or when he looks at the calendar and wants to know why things are spelled, "wrong," I need good answers for him. He does not find much satisfaction if I simply say, "that Y makes an E sound." :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure which book you were referring to - is it one of the ones below?:

How to Teach Any Child to Spell by Gayle Graham

It is this one:

Also still curious about what you would recommend about making my son sound out syllables a little more slowly for a while, instead of saying them outright (Not sure if you saw that question above. I have made sure that I don't say the syllables outright, but I'll sound them out the first time through). Today again he wanted to add in extra sounds (between an "S" and a vowel), but then again, sounding it out slowly took quite a while to help. When it gets in his brain to put a "p" sound after "s," he has a hard time leaving it out!

I would have him sound them out for a while if he is having trouble.

This is the big reason I'm looking for a reference for rules! :) When my son wants to spell new words, or when he looks at the calendar and wants to know why things are spelled, "wrong," I need good answers for him. He does not find much satisfaction if I simply say, "that Y makes an E sound." :tongue_smilie:

Actually, that rule is covered in my spelling rules link from my how to tutor page, is a rule that Webster stated in his speller. Here are the Webster's Speller rules from that document:

Unaccented syllables are often mushed to the schwa sound of uh. This is especially common at the end of words. However, e’s often mush to short i: rur-al fill-et (pronounced rurul and fillit)

When the last syllable is accented, the sounds will not schwa: com-pel, la-ment

(accented syllables underlined)

The letter u is already a relaxed sound, so it is already mushed! The letter i usually holds its sound, or at least some of its sound. The letters o and a are most likely to “mush” to a schwa uh sound.

(and, as noted above, e’s will generally mush to a short i if they schwa, especially at the end)

At the end of a word, the letter y will have its normal long i sound when it is accented, but will have a long e sound in an unaccented syllable (accented syllables underlined): de-ny, mis-ap-ply; cru-el-ty

Edited by ElizabethB

• 1 month later...
Guest Xapis10
Week 21:

D1: ank enk ink onk unk; blank flank frank prank bank. This was a difficult sound for him, so we only did a few words.

I think this is a difficult sound for me as well, if the "A" is pronounced short as in "hat." I have always thought of it as more of a long "A," but what would you say?

I think this is a difficult sound for me as well, if the "A" is pronounced short as in "hat." I have always thought of it as more of a long "A," but what would you say?

Yes, and for my pronunciation, ag as well is closer to long a than a short a. That is the beauty of syllables--the sound of syllable is very close to how they get put together in words, but the letter sounds in isolation sometimes are not exactly how they get put together to make words or syllables.

Guest Xapis10
Yes, and for my pronunciation, ag as well is closer to long a than a short a. That is the beauty of syllables--the sound of syllable is very close to how they get put together in words, but the letter sounds in isolation sometimes are not exactly how they get put together to make words or syllables.

I think of ag the same way too. Actually, I wouldn't have said "pig" had a short "i" either, but thankfully my son has no problem with that :)

Are you saying that "bla" and "blank" are very similar? Just confused about saying a long "a" with the consonant at the end, because it doesn't have the history of words like "hold," does it?

• 1 month later...

DC and I have just started the two-syllable words. I came here to find which ones to do next, and found that I'm at the end of Elizabeth's "lists." I thought I would try to transition to Blend Phonics with Elizabeth's rules/suggestions added in. It appears that Don Potter's website is gone! This is sad in itself, but it also means that the Blend Phonics Reader is gone (as far as I can tell).

Anyone have great suggestions about continuing with the two-syllable words while adding spelling rules in? (trying hard to be supermom, but maybe I'm seeing some advantages to "open-and-go" ... ahhh, didn't want to say that )

My son and I have just started the two-syllable words. I came here to find which ones to do next, and found that I'm at the end of Elizabeth's "lists." I thought I would try to transition to Blend Phonics with Elizabeth's rules/suggestions added in. It appears that Don Potter's website is gone! This is sad in itself, but it also means that the Blend Phonics Reader is gone (as far as I can tell).

Anyone have great suggestions about continuing with the two-syllable words while adding spelling rules in? (trying hard to be supermom, but maybe I'm seeing some advantages to "open-and-go" ... ahhh, didn't want to say that )

PM me your email and I can email you the PDF that I've saved of the Blend Phonics Reader.

ETA: Though I haven't looked, I would bet that the site is just temporarily down.

Yes, Don Potter's site is alive - I'm very relieved! A few links aren't working for me though. I can't access the Blend Phonics cursive edition. Does anyone happen to have that downloaded?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xapis10

I was a little sad to come to the end of the lessons here :)

I tried transitioning to Blend Phonics, but I don't know that it is a good fit. After browsing thephonicspage.org, I'm a little confused/overwhelmed with what I should be doing next.

I don't feel that my son is solidly "getting it" yet with his reading from left to right. He has the syllabary down, but he is a bit slow with reading, which makes him sometimes want to guess the last sound(s) of a word rather than keep sounding it out. He is the type that wants to know the rules, but yet it can be a source of frustration when there are exceptions/changes.

I believe the Webster/syllable method is good, but without being an expert myself, I'm uneasy about where to go from here. Should I supplement with other phonics or spelling books, or keep going through the syllabary and look up phonics rules when I come across new things?

Is your DS still 5? If so, he's still young so I wouldn't worry about moving on too quickly. If he's still having trouble, I would work back through some of the things you've already covered, making sure he understands before moving on. If it's not clicking yet you could slow down even more, maybe keep reviewing the syllabary but not adding anything else until you think he's ready to move on.

I started on the syllabary when my DS was 5.5. He's 7.5 now and we're still working through Webster's with A LOT left to do. He could have gone much faster but I've just taken my time with going through it. He's reading great and I'm in no hurry...and this also ensured that he understood everything before moving on. We also stop to look up 'tricks' and rules etc... I add in rules when necessary as we move through the tables.

Don't be discouraged! Once you are ready to move on through the tables, just look over the lists and pick out a few words from each column. I usually choose several words for my DS to read and then a handful to spell. Elizabeth's lessons on this thread were wonderful in the beginning and that really helped me to get started but once we were done with those we just kept moving through, picking words as she did. I usually try to choose words that I think will also be good vocabulary words...I choose some easy ones but I also try to challenge him with words that he's not familiar with... it's reading, spelling and vocab all at once!

I also have the book The ABC's and All Their Tricks and it has been helpful when adding in rules or tricks as my DS likes to call them. Elizabeth also has a lot of helpful info on her website which will assist with adding rules etc...

Hope that helps!

Guest Xapis10
Is your DS still 5? If so, he's still young so I wouldn't worry about moving on too quickly. If he's still having trouble, I would work back through some of the things you've already covered, making sure he understands before moving on.

I started on the syllabary when my DS was 5.5. He's 7.5 now and we're still working through Webster's with A LOT left to do. He could have gone much faster but I've just taken my time with going through it. He's reading great and I'm in no hurry.

Don't be discouraged! Once you are ready to move on through the tables, just look over the lists and pick out a few words from each column. I usually choose several words for my DS to read and then a handful to spell. Elizabeth's lessons on this thread were wonderful in the beginning and that really helped me to get started but once we were done with those we just kept moving through, picking words as she did.

I also have the book The ABC's and All Their Tricks and it has been helpful when adding in rules or tricks as my DS likes to call them. Elizabeth also has a lot of helpful info on her website which will assist with adding rules etc...

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the encouragement! :) I also have that ABC's book. I wish I could have it memorized! If you think of the info/pages you have used most from Elizabeth's site, I'd love to know. Thanks again!

My son is 8 here. We started w/ I See Sam. Then last fall we did Blend Phonics and moved to Webster's. Then back and forth to AAS and HTTS. I thought we could move onto just spelling but he wasn't ready. I however wasn't sure where to go as it seemed we were a bit stuck in Webster's.

Anyway, we quit the year and then did no school over the summer. His reading level jumped 2 grade levels just from his reading on his own. At the start of this year I flailed around a bit as well, trying to do Webster's again on my own. However, last week we started on Elizabeth's guide for Blend Phonics +Webster's- which includes syllable division exercises, spelling rules and more. Most of this we went through when we did Blend Phonics last year but not all of it stuck, so we are working on overlearning it now.

I expect we will finish this 'program' by the end of next week. After that I think I'll have him do Elizabeth's online phonics lessons for a bit of a mom break and to give some reinforcement in a different way. This will be generally review I'm sure but I think it will be a nice break and help to solidify it in his brain-. After that my plan is to go through Elizabeth's crash course on polysyllables- which is an even shorter version of the rules, SD exercises + Webster's. I also see now she has spelling lessons as well, so we'll likely work those in as well depending on how we are progressing.

I see that the spelling lessons are for 4th grade and up and he seems to be very solidly 4th grade now from the assessments I've done and his reading in Webster's passages. I'm kind of hoping we have Webster's done by the end of this year but we will see.

So, we are doing perhaps a different bit of progression but it seems that this is/will work for him. I guess we are making it a bit of a spiral program, using all the resources Elizabeth has. I'm thrilled with the progress he has made although he still tries to guess at times, even when he can figure the word out. He was doing pretty good in that regard until this summer when he was just doing reading on his own, so now I'm working on getting him to stop yet again-urgh!

Guest Xapis10
My son is 8 here. We started w/ I See Sam. Then last fall we did Blend Phonics and moved to Webster's. Then back and forth to AAS and HTTS. I thought we could move onto just spelling but he wasn't ready. I however wasn't sure where to go as it seemed we were a bit stuck in Webster's.

Anyway, we quit the year and then did no school over the summer. His reading level jumped 2 grade levels just from his reading on his own. At the start of this year I flailed around a bit as well, trying to do Webster's again on my own. However, last week we started on Elizabeth's guide for Blend Phonics +Webster's- which includes syllable division exercises, spelling rules and more. Most of this we went through when we did Blend Phonics last year but not all of it stuck, so we are working on overlearning it now.

I expect we will finish this 'program' by the end of next week. After that I think I'll have him do Elizabeth's online phonics lessons for a bit of a mom break and to give some reinforcement in a different way. This will be generally review I'm sure but I think it will be a nice break and help to solidify it in his brain-. After that my plan is to go through Elizabeth's crash course on polysyllables- which is an even shorter version of the rules, SD exercises + Webster's. I also see now she has spelling lessons as well, so we'll likely work those in as well depending on how we are progressing.

I see that the spelling lessons are for 4th grade and up and he seems to be very solidly 4th grade now from the assessments I've done and his reading in Webster's passages. I'm kind of hoping we have Webster's done by the end of this year but we will see.

So, we are doing perhaps a different bit of progression but it seems that this is/will work for him. I guess we are making it a bit of a spiral program, using all the resources Elizabeth has. I'm thrilled with the progress he has made although he still tries to guess at times, even when he can figure the word out. He was doing pretty good in that regard until this summer when he was just doing reading on his own, so now I'm working on getting him to stop yet again-urgh!

Thanks for sharing! Love to know about other people's experience with Webster's.

Well, I think I've already changed my mind I believe we are going to start the spelling lessons after we finish this round of Websters/Blend Phonics. I might just do those 1x a week though and do reading/spelling work with Webster's on the other days.

I was a little sad to come to the end of the lessons here :)

I tried transitioning to Blend Phonics, but I don't know that it is a good fit. After browsing thephonicspage.org, I'm a little confused/overwhelmed with what I should be doing next.

I don't feel that my son is solidly "getting it" yet with his reading from left to right. He has the syllabary down, but he is a bit slow with reading, which makes him sometimes want to guess the last sound(s) of a word rather than keep sounding it out. He is the type that wants to know the rules, but yet it can be a source of frustration when there are exceptions/changes.

I believe the Webster/syllable method is good, but without being an expert myself, I'm uneasy about where to go from here. Should I supplement with other phonics or spelling books, or keep going through the syllabary and look up phonics rules when I come across new things?

Phonics Pathways is a good source of phonics rules and a good program to work through. My son is reviewing phonics with School Phonics right now, we've used PP and a few others (including Blend Phonics) to supplement Webster, he needs a lot of repetition. The phonics concentration game is also a good game to keep from guessing. I'm alternating between Webster's Speller 2+ syllable words and review of 1 syllable words in various good phonics programs. Many boys need a lot of repetition.

Guest Xapis10
Phonics Pathways is a good source of phonics rules and a good program to work through. My son is reviewing phonics with School Phonics right now, we've used PP and a few others (including Blend Phonics) to supplement Webster, he needs a lot of repetition. The phonics concentration game is also a good game to keep from guessing. I'm alternating between Webster's Speller 2+ syllable words and review of 1 syllable words in various good phonics programs. Many boys need a lot of repetition.

I just noticed a mistake in my typing in my question - I ask at the end if I should just continue through the syllabary while looking up spelling rules/questions, but of course I meant continuing through Webster's *speller*. It seems that people understood what I meant anyway :)

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement Elizabeth!!! I had decided just a few hours before seeing your post that I wanted to supplement my son's phonics. He remembers pretty well, but needs review for practice so that it starts clicking like second nature, instead of seeming a bit painfully long for him to think through sounding things out. PP was on my list of considerations, but I'm also wondering about Pollard's or A Beka. I haven't really looked at Pollard's yet, but the idea of songs would be something my son would love. A Beka is something I have access to, so that is on the table also. Would any of those be easier than the others to add in, with the place we are? (haven't moved on from the first set of 2 syllable words in Webster's - in Blend Phonics, we've worked through Unit 17) I think you mentioned somewhere that A Beka is nice in its use of syllables, but the book I have starts with "blend charts" with things like "la," "ta," "ba," and they use short vowels in those. Then, those are turned into cvc words. Maybe I have something different than what you were referring to, since my book is from 1985, and it's for first grade phonics, not kindergarten?

• 3 years later...

:blush: Thanks!

My kids still think so, too!! 5 and 8 are great ages. They are old enough to get their own snacks, and they think parents are the greatest people ever.

Elizabeth ,

I jus realized it says in your signature that's your program.

I looked at it yesterday a good bit and love it. :)

Is there anyway to slow down the speech (actually talking pace) in the videos?

It's just too fast for my boys. They have delays.

I wonder, is there a way for me to slow it down?

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Elizabeth ,

I jus realized it says in your signature that's your program.

I looked at it yesterday a good bit and love it. :)

Is there anyway to slow down the speech (actually talking pace) in the videos?

It's just too fast for my boys. They have delays.

I wonder, is there a way for me to slow it down?

You may be able to with quicktime:

https://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/5-quicktime-player-secrets/

Those movies are tough to edit, but if there are any of the YouTube ones that you are interested in, those are done with movie making software that is much easier to edit, it would still take a while but I could make alternate versions of a few of the YouTube videos, speaking slower and either deleting some of the instruction or making two videos for every one, a special needs version with slower paced audio, I like to keep them 10 minutes or less each.

Edited by ElizabethB

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd update this thread, I've moved some of the links and now have a video series showing how to integrate Webster and Blend Phonics.  There is a new page for the new series:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

The spelling rules are now link #7 in the student folder, and what used to be the "guide to using blend phonics" is now a transcript of the video series, link #8 of the teacher's folder.  

The first 6 videos are up, video #6 is the first one to start Webster's Speller, but the first 5 lay the foundation with syllables.  The next 4 are scheduled to release the next 4 Mondays.

The video series is meant for the elementary age on up, a bit younger than my online phonics lessons but probably not for a K student, at least not until the end of the year.  They are short, though, you could try them with a young K student and see how it goes. The first 6 may work, 7 - 9 get a bit tough, and 10 is basically a summary of what to do in the future phonics and spelling wise with a tiny bit of Webster teaching.

I just finished a draft version of a notional schedule that shows how you can get through Webster, although it is really best to work at the student's pace.  It is on my Webster page, here is the direct link:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/WeeklyWebsterSchedule.pdf

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3