Menu

Singapore math...

hsmom

Why, why did I even look? Now I so understand why people end up doing 3 maths, 3 la, 2 science and use 4 different histories to make up one year. All of them look to good to pass up.:001_huh:

I love McRuffy and want to use MM the ones that have addition 1 and so on to supplement, then I looked at Singapore and now I want to use that too.:tongue_smilie:

So, my question is what all do I need to buy for this? Do I need the textbooks, workbooks, and instruction guide?

Thank you for your help in my obsession of getting more and more.

B/c I started with it many years ago, we use the US Edition. I have found I didn't need the HIG until 3A/B b/c a few things are approached differently than I was taught. I've never used them much, but there have been a few times and a few things.

We use the textbook (I teach out of it and it has practices in it) and the workbook. I also buy the Challenging Word Problems, but I use one grade level below b/c they are really challenging and my goal is not to freak out my dc about word problems, but to encourage them that they can solve them.

Singapore has produced EXCELLENT results in all of my children and while for one year I tried something else (band wagon mistake), I went running back and never regret using it.

The only outside thing we do are online drills to include memorization of facts. We use Math-U-see for those.

*I* believe MM and Sing is too much (very similar in nature) and would be overkill.

I will not comment on whether I think it is a good idea to combine the particular programs you are using because, of the ones you list, I am only familiar with Singapore. I use the HIG, Textbook, Workbook, Intensive Practice books and Challenging Word Problems books for each level (and I use all the books on the same level). However, I am using Singapore as my primary math program, not as a supplement. If you are intending to use Singapore as a supplement, I would personally rethink going with the HIG, workbook, textbook combo and just supplement with the Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practice books. At least that is what I would do if I were using another program as my "spine". I haven't seen the new CWP books, but my old out-of-print ones have intructions for how to make bar diagrams before each problem set, so the text and HIG would not be necessary for teaching them. Even the IP's will have example problems done for you to show what they want the child to do to solve some of the problems.

ETA: Oh, and we use the US Edition.

We are also using MM and Singapore together WITH Miquon!:001_huh: I had not planned it this way. Originally we were doing Singapore and Miquon, but then I started hearing all about MM. I liked the idea of less books and less cost, so I decided to switch, but keep Miquon. I made the switch in the middle of the 1B books, so I started doing them both with the idea that one program we would be getting used to (MM)and one would be fading out (singapore). I figured we would be done with Singapore by the end of the 1B book and be on to only MM with Miquon by 2A. But DH like what we were doing with all 3 programs so much he just asked me to keep doing them both with Miquon.:lol:

All that to say, you can do all 3:D

We only use 2 programs a day and we mix it up. All 3 in one day would be a bit much:)

I planned it out, I will do two pages of MM one page/ lesson of Singapore or McRuffy. Since I am using the MM that is not the complete program the one that is addition 1, subtraction 1 I think it is the blue series. Not too sure on that one. Well anyways it is more of a mastery for addition and such so he gets more drill where needed yet still moves in a spiral type program with McRuffy.

I say don't do it!

Really there are lots of good programs out there, no you'll never get to them all. For me I look at what I might be taking away vs. what I might be gaining.

By the time you are on your 3rd or 4th program in the same subject- assuming the other texts are working, how much can you really be adding to thier understanding? I do like Singapore, we use it, but I feel the amount of additional understanding each program adds is much smaller as you keep adding them on. Am I making sense?

On the other hand, I try to look at what my kids might instead be doing with that extra 3-5 hours a week. My kids chip arrowheads and make bows and arrows and forts, they collect insects and mess in the garden, they make pyramids out of legos and read books, ect.

There are some times that they fight or whine lots, and sometimes adding some more structure to our day can help. After our month or so of summer vacation we were all ready to start school again. But once I have taken several hours of thier day with school they usually happily fill the rest playing and exploring. Quite frankly I feel very confident that thier time is much better spent doing that than adding a 3rd or 4th duplicate in any single subject.

Just thought I'd add another opinion from someone who does like Singapore.

Hi, I am using few:) math programs because I haven't found a Perfect one :(. I have HIG for 2 SM books but I never used them. My daughter likes SM and MEP, she also likes RS but it was moving to slow for us so we are doing primary SM now until we would feel we need to go back to RS. We are working through MM "Clock" unit as a reinforcement and are planning to use few money related units such as " British money", "European money" and "Canadian money" to get familiar with currencies. We will do "Russian money", when I create a unit for it.

MM is good when you need a detail explanation of the topic. We are happy with a unit "Clock". My daughter likes Geometry and I was considering getting an elementary geometry unit but our other math programs has a lot of elementary geometry in them( Russian math, in particular) so I decided against it.