Menu

Trampoline

We were thinking of getting a large trampoline with the safety enclosure for our bigger children ( 9 and 10.)

We were given a little swingset for our younger ones and they are too big to use it.

They need a fun energy expender outside activity. We live on a mountain and they cannot ride bikes here around our house.

I am worried about the safety.

I was warned against them by family- but they had no real testimony of danger- just fear.

Does anyone have any experience?

I do not want to buy a big risky toy and add more stress to our day- when we are so busy with school.

Thanks very much,

Rebecca

I think it's one of those potential hazards that you just have to make your own decision about. You'll hear annecdotal stories on both sides--Tramps are injury makers, tramps are fine and fun...

Are you willing to risk it? Do your kids obey your directions pretty well? Can you come up with some safety guidelines and will they follow them?

I'd be most concerned with the "orthopedic" effects, but I know they sure are fun!

Good luck.

We got our kids one for Christmas last year, and it's the best purchase we have ever made! They love it. We really talked about the potential for injuries before we got it, but so far, all is well, at least as far as trampoline injuries. Between the girls, we have had one broken collarbone (dog knocked her over), a concussion (kicked by a horse), and a laceration on the head (fell off the swing) in the last 6 months. The trampoline seems to be the least dangerous thing around here, lol.

We raised 3 kids on them. We did not have a safety enclosure. No one ever got hurt. Of course, kids can get hurt on them. Our kids and their friends loved it! It was not uncommon for 1 or more of them to go bounce for just a few minutes or several hours. It's a great way to get rid of excess energy.

I have mixed feelings about trampolines. We had one until my 5yr. at the time ds broke his leg. He was jumping with a teenage cousin and he bounced him to high, so when he came down the doctor said it was like jumping off a 5 story building. We sold our trampoline shortly after. However, he has jumped on them since with supervision. They are excellent energy burners but there are some serious risks.

My in-laws purchased a trampoline for my children several years ago. I was concerned about safety, but I have to say that it is probably the most used gift they have ever received. It's a great way to build exercise into their day. They also enjoy taking their reading books out and laying on the tramp for reading time. We do have the safety net.

Here's a link to a previous thread...just know it's a bit of a hot topic:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49757&highlight=trampoline

Here's my response:

This is summer #7 with our trampoline. Does it scare me that my children could possibly get seriously hurt? Of course! But I worry about that when we go bike riding, downhill skiing, and play hockey. Our close family friend became a quadriplegic from tripping (by himself) during a hockey game and going head first into the boards. It was his helmet that broke his neck. The very thing meant to protect him!

Life is full of risk. We take our precautions and trust God.

I have a love-hate relationship with our trampoline. Our safety net and the pad that covers the springs have both deteriorated and had to be thrown away. I threaten to throw away the trampoline every other week. It's a big safety hazard. My ds #1 knocked out a tooth jumping on it. My ds#2 falls off of it sometimes, but has never been injured. My baby dd has figured out how to climb on and I have to run over to pull her off.

But...My dc adore it. It's the only thing they really like to do outside. I need to just buy a new pad and a new net, so that it will be a little safer. But I am reluctant to pour money into something I want to get rid of... <sigh>

Guest Alte Veste Academy

MY MIL is an ER doctor. In 13 years of marriage and 7 years of parenting, she has not given me a single piece of unsolicited advice, save one. "Don't ever get a trampoline for the kids." That was good enough for me.

And here is another thread if you want to read more.

DD has been in pain off and on, for 1.5 years and now...

Can't play shoulder intensive sports.

Had both x-rays and an MRI to diagnose her Bursitis and Tendinitis at 11yo.

Has had physical therapy almost all summer due to a simple fall on the trampoline.

She has been to her own physician, urgent care, and a sports medicine doctor and a sports based PT.

She fell on her bottom fine with her arms/elbows bent, beside-slightly behind her to catch herself, normally not a problem but.... Her hands slipped, and her arms pushed further back, hyper-extending and injuring her shoulder.

Her medical bills have ran over $6,000 over a silly accident. She wasn't supposed be on it, it was at a friend's house. :glare:

People will argue that accidents can and will happen everywhere and anywhere, but for us, this one would have never happened if it wasn't for the trampoline.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I love trampolines, but you need to be well aware of the risk. It frustrates me to watch shows like America's Funniest where folks are being stupid on the tramp and nearly miss being paralyzed - then the audience laughs hysterically.

A friend of mine had a tramp as a kid. She and two friends were on it and they were doing that bounce thing where one bounces and jettisons another into the air. Well, one of the kids - a star on their middle-school football team - was hurled onto the concrete and was never able to play football again.

I wouldn't want to be the parent who allowed that one to happen.

I allow my kids on them, with safety enclosures, and I would not be opposed to owning one. However - I'd only allow one kid on at a time. Would they have fun with that? IDK.

And, as a pp mentioned, your homeowner's insurance will likely be affected.

Thanks all- so much.

My mom works in a hospital too- and she has always reported injuries from everything- but she had nothing on trampolines...

We would have really strict rules regarding it- however- I don't know if it is worth it.

The link to those trampolines JumpSport- is really, really great. Thanks.

We were looking at a 12 foot one (round) with the safety enclosure- INSIDE of the springs.

Rebecca

I would also check with your homeowners policy...our homeowners specifically states that they will not cover any injuries to our guests if they are hurt on our trampoline.

Yup! Some policies will drop you if they find out you have one. My dh is an actuary and works in home and auto insurance and they will turn you down / drop you if you own one.

We've had one for 12 years. No injuries. A boy up the street broke his arm on his. It has been, by far, the most used toy my kid shave owned. Our homeowners insurance did ditch us. However, we were very glad. Turns out they were extremely expensive. They saved us tons of money when we were forced to switch to AllState which even provided better coverage!!!

Growing up, my best friend had one and her mother wouldn't let anyone jump until their parents signed a liability waiver. She was a nurse, too, and wanted to make sure every parent knew the risks and wouldn't hold her responsible for any accidents that happened. I thought it was a dumb rule then, but now I completely understand!

We have one and the kids use it every day. It's great for my ADD/SPD ds12.

Our rules:

The net MUST be on and fully zipped up

No more than 2 kids at a time

No toys on the trampoline

No tricks, just jumping

The kids conked heads once, but they do that all the time wrestling around the house. We've had worse injuries from biking, pogoing, and tripping on concrete. I think it's actually much less dangerous than riding horses, and our whole family rides.

Jackie

My cousin's DD suffered a very serious injury a few weeks ago. It was terrible. My cousin has always been a safety fanatic, too, and still, it happened. I'll give you the details if you want them, but she's in a wheelchair right now and will be for several weeks.

Their trampoline was gone by the time she got out of the hospital.

dd10 broke her wrist on one when she landed wrong. When I took her to the ER and they heard the cause of the injury, the drs and nurses ALL told me NOT TO LET MY KIDS ON A TRAMPOLINE. They see people in their hospitals All The Time with injuries from them. And falling off is possible even with the safety enclosure, and these result in head injuries and broken necks.

We have a VERY strict NO TRAMPOLINE rule in our house.

I would also check with your homeowners policy...our homeowners specifically states that they will not cover any injuries to our guests if they are hurt on our trampoline.

:iagree:

and I forgot to mention, dd had to have surgery on her wrist to place two large pins in her bones. I was SHOCKED at how big those pins were and the went from the hand towards the elbow INSIDE the bone. The surgery was very painful, even though the orthopaedic dr said it wasn't. DD still talks about it.

My dd crushed her ankle on one. It her and her cousin on it. It jumped up as she came down. The pressure of the the lining coming up as she hit it crushed her ankle. Having said that... she does still go over and jump. Her cousins are great about letting her jump ALONE. I have gone back and forth about wanting one for our soon to be 6 year old. Even knowing the risks. Actually, my dd's ortho surgeon said he owned one too! I have been thinking about this a lot because their birthdays are coming up and oh... I just don't know.