Menu

Need some help please :)

my dd is just about to turn 10, 4th grader. she has been dxed with adhd since she was 3 and in the last year has been taking clonodine to help with the impulsitivity. she was just recently switched to intuniv and it still seems to be doing fine.

the problem is we have a new psychologist who "tested" her in his office with a few random school questions. she flunked lol. he suggested that she has forms of learning disabilities. ive always just thought she was not mature enough for some of her work load, so we have slowed down a bit. although i know she has struggled with fluency and speed of reading, but we have worked on it.

i did some research and i do agree theres a possibility she may have dyslexia and dysgraphia. my question is... what would you do? should i have her formally tested? and if so, would it matter much? she has never been to public school and unless there is a tragedy, she will always be homeschooled. so should i just continue to keep her going as best i can with her learning and slow or speed as needed?

i would love any advice from others! thanks so much!

I think this is honestly the tricky spot, and there is really no right answer. In our case, I decided that we needed to work on the issues at hand-- reading and writing-- since it seemed like we were dealing with dyslexia, I just started following that path.

After a year, we did seek a diagnosis. Did the diagnosis change what we were doing-- slightly but not in the areas of remediation ;-) We are still doing what we do in those areas. Am I happy we have a diagnosis? For the most part yes. It was expensive, but it is in place for when my ds wishes to go to school (which may be high school for him). Has it gotten us any resources? Nope. Has it changed how ds thinks about himself? Maybe, it was an overall positive experience for him. Has it changed how I feel about what we do? No. It has made it more clear that homeschooling has been the absolute best thing for ds.

As much as my ambivalence about what to do concerning a dx, I have seen that many people in my hs group feel that getting a dx is very important, right off the bat even, to make sure you access appropriate resources. And that might very well be the case with the issues those folks were dealing with.

thanks so much both of you for the info!

if its dyslexia and dysgraphia that we are dealing with (what i suspect)... what resources are available if a diagnosis is given??

and also, are there any curriculums that help for a child with these ... 4th grade. for sure we are struggling in language arts.

thanks!

A diagnosis can open doors for insurance to pay for 'therapies' in the future. So yes, a diagnosis is important IMO. It can also give you a paper tral if you ever move or someone says you are not educating appropriately. For me, seeking a diagnosis also meant that I was able to receive some reassurances that I was doing the right things already.

While there are not any math programs for dyslexia, there are several reading programs that families like. We are using Scottish Rite, others like Barton, and then there are even more.

ok thanks so much. i have a call into the pediatrician to refer us for testing. so moving forward there.

i still haventt purchased our language arts curriculum for this year, i was going to do that friday with dh's paycheck. but now im very unsure of what i should get! any ideas? she would be in 4th, i need something with writing, spelling, grammar and mechanics. or 4 seperate curriculumk for those.

thanks so much for all the advice! it really helps to know your not alone!!! ;)

ok thanks so much. i have a call into the pediatrician to refer us for testing. so moving forward there.

i still haventt purchased our language arts curriculum for this year, i was going to do that friday with dh's paycheck. but now im very unsure of what i should get! any ideas? she would be in 4th, i need something with writing, spelling, grammar and mechanics. or 4 seperate curriculumk for those.

thanks so much for all the advice! it really helps to know your not alone!!! ;)

These are what are recommended here often that I am/will be using:

Winston Grammar (I personally LOVE this program)

IEW for writing

All About Spelling

Hi we are new. We did have our oldest son tested, because I wanted paper "proof" ~ in our state we need to pass standardized testing. I was worried he may fail parts (spelling for sure! LOL) and they would have the right to refuse my application to homeschool.

I also wanted a diagnosis in case he chooses to go to school later on, and so he can have accomodations when he reaches college if necessary.

Just our experience. :)

Maia, Spike's mom