Menu

Recommendations for a simple cookbook for DD?

funschooler5

My DD is almost 13 and enjoys cooking. She's just started making dinner for the family a couple of times a week...very simple meals like spaghetti and tacos. I was wondering if anyone could recommend an easy to use cookbook, so she can gradually learn more complex meals, and/or something that touches on the basics of cooking.

I am not the best cook in the world, and I don't want to lead her astray with my "skills". :lol::lol:

You can't go wrong with the classic red plaid Better Homes and Gardens. I like it better than Joy of Cooking and it's recently been updated. Lots of basics and how too info as well as time tested and proven recipes.

Get the one in a binder so it lays open and she can even hole-punch and add her own recipes to it. She will love it for years and take it when she leaves home!

I received http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Mom-Now-That-Need/dp/0961539011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283229003&sr=8-1

this book as a wedding shower gift, 15 years ago. I have used it a lot for very simple things like how long to boil an egg.:001_huh:

If you want something a little more complicated, I like "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman.

I'm another BH&G fan! It's not really geared towards kids, but it is the one I go to for basic recipes like pie crust, sugar cookies, salad dressings, gravy, how long to cook meats or veggies, etc.

Another idea, my grandma gave my sister and I each a recipe card box filled with family recipes (and room to add my own). I was in HS when she gave it to me, and I still use it. She just passed away, and I love seeing all the recipes written out in her handwriting.

BH&G Anyone Can Cook is awesome. I just got it from the library. It seams to be a perfect beginners book. It has the basics everyone should know and not a lot of the stuff you would never make. Things like scrambeled eggs, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, hamburgers, and basic chicken. It also has pictures to show you how to do things like dice, peel and saute. I know I will be getting this as a Christmas gigt for my then 12 yr old dd. LOVED IT!! Amazon has a good review with pics. There are 900 picture in the book and it has a Ask Mom section that tells you stuff like how to peel garlic or squeeze a lemon.

Edited by Sukale

You can't go wrong with the classic red plaid Better Homes and Gardens. I like it better than Joy of Cooking and it's recently been updated. Lots of basics and how too info as well as time tested and proven recipes.

Get the one in a binder so it lays open and she can even hole-punch and add her own recipes to it. She will love it for years and take it when she leaves home!

:iagree::iagree:

I still have and use mine that I got when I was 16!