Menu

Has anyone used k-12?

RanchMom

We use k12 for Language Arts. Well, I bought the LA4 kit for ds but we don't use the online tracker/planner they have available because we don't have to keep records of anything in AL & that was just an extra $200+ I didn't want/need to spend. We are LOVING the LA program though!!! :001_smile:

I have heard people mention that other people who use it get overwhelmed with it but even the K12 site says to do what you can. They give lots of options for projects & rabbit trails, if your child likes to do stuff like that...if not, it's completely ok to stick to the basics. I love that ALL the materials are provided for every subject, I wish we had the $$ to use the full program--they provide everything from art supplies, to a computer for the student each year. Pretty cool, imo!

We just use it independently because AL doesn't provide it as a public school option, but in some states it is provided by the public school system, for free. Definately check it out!

I think K12 can be good if you don't mind tweaking a little (or in my case a *lot*). They have some fabulous things, such as their Human Odyssey series. We've also like some of their literature courses, though we found the rest of LA to be pretty uninspiring (we've used LA 2-4, 7-8). We also liked History K and Science 1-3. I didn't like Science 4 or their regular life science course. I'm planning to use History 5-8 with my younger son (tweaked, of course, and with lots of supplemental reading).

Just to clarify, K12 does NOT provide a computer...that is the Virtual Academies, operated by the state/school district that does that. K12 is nothing more than a curriculum, just like another other curriculum publisher. That's like saying Alpha Omega provides a computer if you use Switched on Schoolhouse....they don't and neither does K12.

I used K12 through California Virtual Academy for 2 years with 2 kids (I've done the 3rd through 6th grade curriculum). It is a very solid curriculum. As stated earlier, there is alot of information. If you pick and choose what works best for your child, it can be a valuable asset. I've seen families get overwhelmed and fall behind in their lessons. If you are good about keeping up with the work that needs to be done, I recommend the program.

We have been happy K12 users for 4 years. Two years independently, and two years through a Virtual Academy. If you try to do everything you will get overwhelmed. There is usually plenty of material for extra practice, enrichment, or to help with VS learners and kinetic learners.

It is fairly easy to use. The lesson planner is awesome. The best components are literature, history & art (these two really are designed to work together). They receive mixed reviews on math and science (we've done fine with them, found them very good on the whole), and many people don't like the music (it has a very specific approach -- not just sing songs).

If you are a slave to doing everything, it will be overwhelming and stifling. However, if you teach to the objective and only use what you need to achieve that objective (vs. everything), you should be fine.

This is most likely my oldest son's last year in K12. However, we plan to use K12 for all of our children through 6th grade.

We used the virtual academy for 1 semester, back in 2008. My reason for using it was that I was having major surgery done in Nov. 2007 and I didn't know if I would be able to return to homeschooling in January and resume teaching.

I am glad I had the option at that time, but I was not totally satisfied with the methods. My ds, who was 4th grade at the time, had no trouble at all with the curriculum. He did a lot of what I call regurgitation of the facts. No retention. I do know some families that currently use the virtual academy and they like it. It wasn't a good fit for us, but it does work for others.

Susie

Lisa-

Can you share why you will likely stop k12 at 6th?

There are a few reasons...somewhat related. But overall it comes down to this, the VA doesn't have any other options than forward-ho! And, right now, we're feeling my son needs to spend some time maturing, going "sideways" a bit instead of rapidly forward -- especially in LA.

My oldest son will enter "high school level" material beginning next year, except for history, art and music. There was a fairly substantial jump between elementary and middle school material, and I have been told there is another jump between 8th and 9th grade material.

In addition to potential/probable content content issues in high school level material, the level of thought and analysis may be a bit of a reach -- he's already very young for his "normal" grade, mix in the coming puberty fog, and his natural inclination for the literal vs. the implied -- it's just a recipe for disaster.

I want the freedom to slow down or back off from Geometry if Algebra becomes a bear -- without officially holding him back. KWIM? We take each year as it comes -- and are willing to revise this decision if my son is ready. I just don't anticipate that.

I think K12 can be good if you don't mind tweaking a little (or in my case a *lot*). They have some fabulous things, such as their Human Odyssey series. We've also like some of their literature courses, though we found the rest of LA to be pretty uninspiring (we've used LA 2-4, 7-8). We also liked History K and Science 1-3. I didn't like Science 4 or their regular life science course. I'm planning to use History 5-8 with my younger son (tweaked, of course, and with lots of supplemental reading).

We enjoy their literature, but as EKS points out, the rest of the LA is dull at best. It will get the job done, but won't inspire a passion for the English language.:lol: We like the Human Odyssey volumes but thought there was way too much paperwork for the middle school history. We used the program independently, so we were able to tweak. That's not an option in Oregon if you officially enroll.