Menu

Just a VENT thread.

AGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

UUGH!

In two words...

Parents

Facebook

You know, I was never into self-destructive behaviors before. I wonder what has changed that I put up with this CR*P (edited for the more sensitive viewers on the board).

I live 2,000+ miles away for a reason.

The faster technology gets the more I suspect that it is working in cahoots with my parents. I long for the days of the Oregon Trail where a letter took months, if not years, to arrive.

:cheers2:

I'll raise you a word, to make three:

Real Estate Agents

So why give me the snarky tone that "I need to remember that I have reduced rent due to..." (ha, the sentence didn't finish.) It's not like *she* owns the place. Even for this price, I would expect the front door to work, but of course the owner is within her rights to let the house deteriorate around our ears. I never said otherwise. I was just explaining why they had to use the back door and that their office was aware of the problem, since as renters we are obliged to mention these things. Why get snarky about an object neither of us own?

Rosie

:cheers2:

I'll raise you a word, to make three:

Real Estate Agents

So why give me the snarky tone that "I need to remember that I have reduced rent due to..." (ha, the sentence didn't finish.) It's not like *she* owns the place. Even for this price, I would expect the front door to work, but of course the owner is within her rights to let the house deteriorate around our ears. I never said otherwise. I was just explaining why they had to use the back door and that their office was aware of the problem, since as renters we are obliged to mention these things. Why get snarky about an object neither of us own?

Rosie

Unbelievable that they are giving you grief about fixing the DOOR!

Unbelievable that they are giving you grief about fixing the DOOR!

Well it's not just that door. It's the garage doors, since they are not attached to the garage, the side gate AND they've already fixed the back gate. We are so unreasonable.

We did sign the lease "as is" but as I said, as renters, we are supposed to inform them of needed repairs. The owner can choose to let the house fall down, but she is supposed to make that choice, rather than have the house fall down without her knowing it. I daresay she'd prefer to rent this place out at a reduced rate than not rent it at all because it has been condemned.

But the estate agent can keep her snarky tone.

On a positive note, I've learned the rules. Keep the front yard mowed and the agent won't care if I don't vacuum for seven years :lol:

Rosie

OMG yes!!! My mom was my "friend" on facebook for a very short time. I would post an article or website I thought was interesting or important. She would send me an email telling me I shouldn't try to influence people like that. I once said something about my MIL driving me crazy. (none of Ean's family is on Facebook, or anyone they know, and MIL IS crazy!!!! Like, bad evil person crazy) and I got an email telling me she raised me better than that and that "anyone could read it". Um, i had about 15 friends at the time. I finally sent her an email telling her I loved keeping her up to date on our lives, but I'm a big girl and I don't want anymore emails telling me what I can or cannot post on facebook. She canceled her account.

that's stinky :glare:

I had a friend post a snarky comment once, I was really hurt and miffed on what I figured was her judgment on me and my life. I really thought about unfriending her. I ended up deleting her comment off my wall. I decided my fb is there to make me happy, if something doesn't then I will get rid of it. I think she got my unsaid message, no snark since.

my mom just got on fb, my dad and stepmom are not- my sister and I dread the day my stepmom gets on...for now we are feeding my dad's wariness of the internet and identity theft/viruses...my sister keeps telling them about the viruses she thinks she is getting from fb :lol:

See, I made a separate FB account for the crazy people. I don't do anything on it but I try to put pictures of the grandkids over there occasionally. If I had to put up with them on FB I would get off FB - which is what I should do, anyway, because I waste far too much time there. But, I digress.

You don't have to be friends with your mom on FB, or anyone else, for that matter. Just de-friend her and see how long it takes her to notice. :D

:grouphug: Daisy. I too live far, far away from my parents. I have no clue why I friended them on FB, or really accepted their friend requests. I assume it has something to do with the fact that apparently I AM a glutton for punishment when it comes to them. :glare: The way I honor my father and mother is to completely ignore all they say on FB and not "out" their disgustingly fake bahavior. And yes, I do expect some huge, collossal reward for this.

Holy cow, I was in such a bad mood yesterday because of something my mom posted in response to a status I had (where I said I "hated" a political figure and she went on to tell me I do not hate her, I "intensely dislike" her.) I thought somewhere around the time I got married, got my own house, had my own kids, she would accept that I was able to form my own opinions of things and accurately apply labels to my feelings. Clearly my frustration had more to do with my overall assessment of how our relationship has declined over the years than one measly comment. And here I thought Facebook would help bring us together (and more importantly, let her see pictures of her grandkids) since I also live really far away from her.

And the really sad thing is she claims to hate Facebook and "doesn't get it." If you don't get it, if you're consistently posting things as your status message rather than a message on someone's wall, if you ignore my suggestions about how to hide things you don't want to see...then just stay off it. Or stop complaining about it. But whatever you do, please stop using Facebook to put me down. You raised me, you did a good job, and your job is done. People no longer judge YOU based on MY opinions. Please stop with the public criticism.

:lol: Yeah there is a reason I'm not on facebook. It started when my hubby invited me to be his friend. I politely declined as it wasn't required by our vows. I have since declined my sister and numerous IRL firends. My hubby is "friends" with my friends. I constantly have to tell him to not tell me what my friends say on facebook because if I wanted to know, I'd have joined.

It is the same reason I never "learned" to play video games. I have never once had to help a kid with a game because Mom "doesn't know how to play video games." :lol: I just love that. I'll never tell them I used to have the high score on Street Fighter at the arcade when it first came out. :D

I think some technology is just more trouble than it is worth.

Btw - my ds's brother unfriended him on facebook a year ago and has spoken to him since.

And the really sad thing is she claims to hate Facebook and "doesn't get it."

Did you respond to her and tell her she doesn't "hate" Facebook, but "intensely dislikes" it. :D

I freaked out when my mom got on facebook, but luckily she forgot her password, and hasn't been back on.

:grouphug:

AGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

UUGH!

In two words...

Parents

Facebook

You know, I was never into self-destructive behaviors before. I wonder what has changed that I put up with this CR*P (edited for the more sensitive viewers on the board).

I live 2,000+ miles away for a reason.

The faster technology gets the more I suspect that it is working in cahoots with my parents. I long for the days of the Oregon Trail where a letter took months, if not years, to arrive.

Two words: Limited Profile.

So far I haven't had problems with family members on FB, thankfully. But I do use the Limited Profile to restrict what some people can see. I like that status messages now have customizable privacy, as well.

The two Facebooks idea also works well. I know several people who have one "work" FB (they work with students, so use them for networking) and a personal FB which is hidden in searches. The same idea could easily be used for other purposes.

that's stinky :glare:

I had a friend post a snarky comment once, I was really hurt and miffed on what I figured was her judgment on me and my life. I really thought about unfriending her. I ended up deleting her comment off my wall. I decided my fb is there to make me happy, if something doesn't then I will get rid of it. I think she got my unsaid message, no snark since.

my mom just got on fb, my dad and stepmom are not- my sister and I dread the day my stepmom gets on...for now we are feeding my dad's wariness of the internet and identity theft/viruses...my sister keeps telling them about the viruses she thinks she is getting from fb :lol:

hee hee

Dh and I say that mil moved from Colorado 1500 miles west, but it wasn't far enough away for us, so we moved another 1500 miles east.

I think my dad would love FB. I want to encourage him to get on. But then he would be my friend and make his snide comments, and I'd have to delete them. Or him.

My mom, otoh, is overly cautious about not commenting. I can live with that though. And she would never, ever comment on dd's FB. DD appreciates that.

I **WISH** I lived 2000 miles away. :) :) :)

I live 20 minutes away and am looking for a way to escape...daily!! ( I WOULD sell and move, but the house is in a trust and I don't have enough $$...but I digress... )

:iagree: me too....Then again...she is 83...tick tock...(now how awful is that??)

oh, and eeeewwwww on facebook. I have an account to keep up with dd and some of her friends at college....and some of my kids friends at college...because they WANT me there...otherwise...gotta love that DELETE button. Wish I had one that works in real life...

~~Faithe

:grouphug: Daisy. I too live far, far away from my parents. I have no clue why I friended them on FB, or really accepted their friend requests. I assume it has something to do with the fact that apparently I AM a glutton for punishment when it comes to them. :glare: The way I honor my father and mother is to completely ignore all they say on FB and not "out" their disgustingly fake bahavior. And yes, I do expect some huge, collossal reward for this.

:lol:

Also, I am posting your quote as my facebook status today....so timely!!!!LOL Thanks!

~~Faithe

ETA: I always call that site "Fakebook." There is more phony there than I can stomache!

My sons' biological mom is always trying to friend me on FB. She is always sending me these long messages about "her" boys. It's so annoying. Like I would ever be her friend and allow that drama back into my life. UGH! No thanks!

My mom is pretty cool and she does ok on FB. I have a cousin on the other hand who thinks her life is just like mine. She is always trying to one up me on FB and it just makes me roll my eyes. I feel sorry for her most of the time.

Did you respond to her and tell her she doesn't "hate" Facebook, but "intensely dislikes" it. :D

I freaked out when my mom got on facebook, but luckily she forgot her password, and hasn't been back on.

That's funny! My mom has memory issues as well, but I think the computer must remember her password for her. I did learn how I could exclude someone from reading a particular status message after I posted my vent yesterday, and think I will be doing that more. :001_smile:

I mean, I really like Facebook because it's a great way to keep in touch with a lot of people I don't live near. And I started a secret Twitter account so I can post all the stuff I used to be able to say on FB before I had to worry about offending people. Now my Facebook status messages are basically about the weather or our kids.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

I love twitter, more than fb. I have my regular twitter acct. tied to my blog, then my secret twitter-anon acct. I vent on both actually, since my family is not tech savvy and wouldn't check twitter.

I chronicled the whole "should I just end things and throw step-mom's camera in the pool" thing, -passive aggressive fun, and a challenge to see how witty I can get with my angst.:D