Menu

doesn't like art?

ktgrok

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Well, you could buy Ish "for the baby" and leave it around for him to see. :D

It worked for my perfectionist ds when he was 4 but the theme is ageless.

ETA: I also highly recommend The Dot.

We use ARTistic Pursuits which has many open ended type projects. They don't have to 'look' a certain way. This helps. I have one that detests art. He also has NEVER liked to color. He's 6.5 and he still scribbles like a 2 year old. He has fine motor issues too. I've come to the conclusion he probably will never like art. I still have him do the project, but don't push at all. Whatever he creates I accept.... hopefully over time he'll come around... or not! It's not something I'm willing to die over.

My dd12 gets physically ill when I even mention doing an art project. She and I have talked about it and it does stem from her never being able to get it to look the way she thinks it should. So even an open ended, doesn't have to look like anything, type of project is frustrating for her. She appreciates art and will study art and artists but does not feel comfortable doing art. I don't ask her to anymore. It really isn't that important to me even though I love drawing and painting as does my dd11. It just isn't her thing.

I myself like looking at Art and love visiting museums. However, I never liked drawing, painting or anything of that kind, no crafts, don't knit or anything - just no interest.

My kids are pretty much the same way, they have no interest in doing art projects. So I will have them learn about Art history, take them to museums, learn about painting styles and sculpture. DD might take a ceramics class, short six sessions or something like that.

I would not push it. Not everybody needs to be doing everything.

DD13 loathes anything artsy and craftsy. She will do it, but so begrudgingly that you start feeling sad for her and wondering whether it's important enough to insist.

DD12 couldn't care less, but she's actually good at most things that involve precision, perspective, etc. She'd be very good at technical drawing, for example.

In elementary years I did require them both to learn how to draw, and the basics of how to look at art are explained the best by doing it, experimenting with various techniques, etc. But then at some point I let DD13 quit, and now she does minimal drawing when necessary for other subjects (Biology for example). DD12 still does it.