Menu

Don't want to ditch MUS because it cost 100 bucks but...

I'm just really not liking it.

I am doing Precalc and I've heard that the previous MUS books show kids how *not* to use a calculator. All MUS Precalc does is tell me to use a calculator and it is driving me nuts! The whole worksheet is just writing down what the calculator answered.

I know a lot of things in Precalc need to be done with a calculator but it is really driving me nuts. I tried to supplement with Lial's but the two programs don't go together at all so I have completely gone Lial's.

Sorry, this was more of a rant than anything. :rant:

You're right about the other levels. They don't use calculators. When you get to Pre-Calculus they do start using them but they don't use them all the way through the book. Most Pre-Caculus programs have you use some kind of calculator. If you haven't already with Lial's you will eventually.

I know nothing about MUS or their worksheets, but it is a good idea to learn how to use a calculator well in pre-calc. Not only is it necessary for what you'll be learning, but it will help out on the SAT tests as well. Can all of that be done without a calculator? Yes. But it will take incredibly long. Calculators do serve a purpose. :)

If you're sure that you won't be using MUS, it might not be a bad time of year to try to sell it before everyone gets their curricula for the fall. ;) Then again, it might not hurt to hold onto it and sell it next spring or summer.

That could be part of it. With MUS the student is not allowed to use a Calculator of any kind until they get to Pre-Calculus. Check a lesson deeper in the book and see if it's the same. The fact remains though, that most Pre-Algebra books use a Calculator. Even with Lials my son was frequently using a calculator. There's just so many equations to do in Pre-Cal that there's almost no way to not use one.

No math program is right for everyone. Check out the later lessons and see what you think. If it's not right for you, sell it. If you like Lial's better, it's better for you. Granted, $100 is a bit of money, but you should get some of that back. As far as mistakes go, if that were the worst financial loss we had we'd be ecstatic!