Menu

Thoughts on Muzzy..

I just took the plunge and ordered Muzzy--been considering for several years.

Has anyone else been disappointed with it?

I'm relieved that there is a 30 day trial because I just can't see spending $200 on this thing! $100 maybe--

I think it is cute--a child introduced early would definitely pick up the language--but I was expecting much more for $200.

Am I missing something? Any Muzzy success stories you'd like to share?

BTW, I've been jumping all over older kids for years now for saying words like 'fat' in front of my youngest--even if they're talking about a burrito or the dog. I learned the hard way from his older brother that it is NOT a word I want in my 3 year-olds vocabulary. One of the lessons in Muzzy has a large queen saying repeatedly, "I'm fat!" contrasting with other characters saying "I'm skinny!" Grrrrrr!

Edited by homeschoolally

I think that it is pretty darn weak for what you are paying for. There are so many better programs out there that are more entertaining that that. I borrowed it from my library (after waiting in the hold cue for the better part of 9 months.) I am so glad I didn't pay money for this. I can't add much since we did not do anything other than Rosetta Stone. I am sure you will get some responses. What language are you looking for?

I think that it is pretty darn weak for what you are paying for. There are so many better programs out there that are more entertaining that that. I borrowed it from my library (after waiting in the hold cue for the better part of 9 months.) I am so glad I didn't pay money for this. I can't add much since we did not do anything other than Rosetta Stone. I am sure you will get some responses. What language are you looking for?

We're using Mandarin.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm also looking at Rosetta Stone Mandarin for my older son but that is a tough decision too--I found I could save 20% on the homeschool edition with my Barnes and Noble teacher card, but dh is still reluctant to take the plunge. I understand where he's coming from--we have been known to buy things that just don't work out--and that is probably the biggest single purchase I've considered.

Muzzy is bazaar to me. I borrowed it from the library and quickly returned it. Then a friend gave me the VHS Spanish version. I keep meaning to try and sell it, but can't really figure out what price to put on it. LOL On one hand it is an expensive program and on the other, I can't say I would pay a decent price for it myself LOL.

I had thought about buying it for years. I finally got it a couple of months ago at a used homeschool curriculum fair for $10. I like it. I could definitely use it with my dc to reinforce language. I don't mind the silly story or any of that.

But is it worth $200?

NO! A thousand times NO!

Muzzy is bazaar to me. I borrowed it from the library and quickly returned it. Then a friend gave me the VHS Spanish version. I keep meaning to try and sell it, but can't really figure out what price to put on it. LOL On one hand it is an expensive program and on the other, I can't say I would pay a decent price for it myself LOL.

I'll buy it from you for ten dollars! :D

I think that it is pretty darn weak for what you are paying for. There are so many better programs out there that are more entertaining that that.

I agree entirely. I also found the animation sort of creepy.

And I think I've had the Spanish vowel song ("AEIOU te quiro...") stuck in my head for about nine years now.

I was also disappointed not just with the $, but with the way it set back my credibility with my husband when it came to expensive homeschool purchases. Ugh.

Not only did I not find it interesting, but as others have said, it was creepy.

I was also disappointed not just with the $, but with the way it set back my credibility with my husband when it came to expensive homeschool purchases.

I hear you!!

I've mentioned the 30 day trial period to him many, many, many times already!!!!!!!

Just can't seem to mention it enough. :001_smile:

I've been working 7 years to build up this 'curriculum cred' and I'll be darned if I let Muzzy take me down!

on the other hand....

i ordered the teacher's guide to go with it, and it makes a lot more sense if you use it the way they intended. (stopping every few minutes to have the kids repeat, asking them questions, doing the work sheets). as a "plug and play" its a quirky little show.

using the teacher's guide, etc, my kids learned a lot....

fwiw,

ann

there are also flash cards, an audio for the car/mp3 player, etc....