Menu

If you suspect your child has some sort of behavior issue,

mo2

what do you tell the doctor? I've been wanting to bring this up with our ped but haven't figured out exactly what to say. Should I make a list of all the things I've noticed? Is there anything they will ask me that I should be prepared for--questions about diet, sleep, etc? Our doc tends to be very laid-back and I don't want to sound like a crazy mommy who is imagining things or overreacting.

ETA: Also, I would prefer to try natural treatments before any meds, and I am afraid the doc will recommend meds because...well...that's what docs usually do. Is it okay to say to the doc that you would prefer not to give any meds to your child?

Edited by mo2
more

A list of documentation is excellent. One, you don't forget what you want to say. Two, it shows the doctor you have been concerned about this for a serious length of time. Questions our peds always ask is when did you first notice the problem, what have you already tried to adress this, and why is this an issue/problem/concern for you? And you open the conversation just like this, "I have some concerns and would like your opinion and ideas for direction."

A list of documentation is excellent. One, you don't forget what you want to say. Two, it shows the doctor you have been concerned about this for a serious length of time. Questions our peds always ask is when did you first notice the problem, what have you already tried to adress this, and why is this an issue/problem/concern for you? And you open the conversation just like this, "I have some concerns and would like your opinion and ideas for direction."

Thank you. I especially like your opening line. I tend to get tongue-tied and forget what to say when put on the spot, like when I know I only have a few minutes of this person's time and there are children in the room with me climbing on the exam table, spinning on the doctor's stool, literally bouncing back and forth from one wall to the other. :001_smile:

Thank you. I especially like your opening line. I tend to get tongue-tied and forget what to say when put on the spot, like when I know I only have a few minutes of this person's time and there are children in the room with me climbing on the exam table, spinning on the doctor's stool, literally bouncing back and forth from one wall to the other. :001_smile:

When you do this, if at all possible, take another adult with you so that they can take the kids out to the waiting room, car, for a walk, etc. so that you can discuss your concerns with the doctor 1:1 without the child in the room.

You might even call and give the doctor's office a heads up for your appointment that you need some extra time to discuss some concerns.

I honestly think it depends on the Dr. What type of behaviors are you seeing in your child that you are concerned about? How old is your child?

Remember that you are the parent and you have absolute say over what your child takes as far as meds. Don't let a Dr. bully you into making a decision you are not prepared to make.

I have had several Dr.'s tell me that my ds's behavioral challenges were "normal" but I knew they were not. I persisted and although it took a few years, we got the diagnosis I suspected all along. I saw the behavioral challenges early on but they weren't as noticeable to Dr's who only saw my son for a few minutes at a time.

Trust your mamas instinct :)

When you do this, if at all possible, take another adult with you so that they can take the kids out to the waiting room, car, for a walk, etc. so that you can discuss your concerns with the doctor 1:1 without the child in the room.

You might even call and give the doctor's office a heads up for your appointment that you need some extra time to discuss some concerns.

I scheduled my last talk with the pediatrician in a well child check up. Those visits are scheduled to be longer anyway and the pediatrician is able to spend more time talking about more things. If you haven't scheduled a well child check up in the last year, that is a good place to begin. I also found that for me to get referrals to others, my children had to have recent well child checks anyway.

If you call ahead, that is great. Ottakee is right though that you need to take someone else with you. Our ped was able to accommodate my request, but they had extra staff out and it was hard finding someone from within the clinic to stay with my children while I talked to him. The next time I went I had my mom stay with the kids in the waiting room while I talked to the doctor and then the nurse called for my son when the dr was ready to see him.