Menu

Barnes & Noble

Have any of you ever had to provide "proof" that you homeschool to your local B&N? I've never had to for any store other than B&N. When we lived in IL, the B&N would not give me a teacher's card when they found out that we had no form of ID or affidavit there. Here in PA, the local B&N was obviously ignorant.

B&N: we need your id from the state.

Me: the state doesn't give us id's.

B&N: they don't?

Me: no.

B&N: well, we need a letter from the school district then.

Me: what letter?

B&N: don't they send you a letter or something stating that you can homeschool?

Me: no, and they can't send us a letter "approving" our homeschool; that would be the school district overstepping their bounds with the law. They don't "approve" us or send us letters.

B&N: do you belong to a homeschool group?

Me: not everyone belongs to one, but yes, I belong to **** *** ***, but they don't issue membership cards.

B&N: don't they send you letters?

Me: no, it's an email list. We email, set stuff up, and meet.

She goes to speak to the manager, they still insist on some proof, and I ask to speak to the manager. Same conversation, except he call a co-op a "coscion" with a look on his face that you could tell he was grasping for the right word and didn't know what he was talking about. I asked him, "a co-op?" Yep, that was it. He said that "all the other homeschoolers" always brought him some paper from the district. I told him that they may have brought him their affidavit, but that is a paper that WE send TO the district, not the other way around. I also told them that anyone could go home and fill one out, regardless of homeschooling status and that I could easily go home, print out a "homeschool teachers' card", and laminate it for them (my point was that their requirements were ridiculous as they are asking for something that doesn't exist and it's not "proof" anyhow). I did bring them an affidavit later as I had to take it up to the school anyhow.

Anyone else given a hard time?

I didn't have a problem with either B&N or Borders --- Borders accepted my B&N card. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And B&N took my word... didn't even as for my letter from the ESD.

Edited by nmoira

I had to show my card from my homeschool association membership. If you don't have one make one on the computer and print it. ;) It does come in handy as a number of places give teacher discounts.

I'm sure it varies by location. The guy giving me the card was homeschooled as a child, so I probably had it easier than most.

B&N was a pain to the point of being rude with me when I tried to get a card. I ended up getting one in the end, but I had to jump through lots of hoops! This cashier had to talk to the other cashier who had to call a manager, etc. They also are very picky about what they consider a homeschool purchase.

I just got off the phone with B&N (and let me say, the lady on the phone was very supportive of homeschooling!). On their website they have the requirements.

Homeschooling parents.

At Enrollment and renewal homeschooling parents must provide photo ID and a letter with the following information: family name and address; name of homeschooling parent(s); grade level of each child being homeschooled.

This letter is from us, the parents! We do not need proof from the school or membership cards to a group. We just have to write on a piece of paper our name, address, and grade levels of the students. (yes, I know that anybody can do this, but anyone can make a "card" and anyone can fill out an affidavit also).

B&N CS said that is sounded like their stores were not understanding (how homeschooling works as well as the policy) and reaching for what they did understand (the requirements for the school teachers). She suggested I send a print out of their regulations into the store.

They (customer service) understands that homeschoolers buy books and we are good customers. I did also mention the picking over book items and I explained as well that we don't buy just the "typical" books a brick and mortar school teacher would. We like to expand and make use of anything that we can find that fits what we are studying (and they have some good stuff that doesn't fall under the "typical teacher buy"). I've had my purchases picked over at Border's before, so I totally understand how frustrating that can be. Usually I head it off at the pass by chatting up the cashier about how we are studying such and such and how thrilled I was to find this book.

Edited by mommaduck

B&N was a pain to the point of being rude with me when I tried to get a card. I ended up getting one in the end, but I had to jump through lots of hoops! This cashier had to talk to the other cashier who had to call a manager, etc. They also are very picky about what they consider a homeschool purchase.

I wonder if they are picky about PS teacher's purchases? My card doesn't say that I'm a homeschool teacher so I'm not sure how they can tell the difference?

Have any of you ever had to provide "proof" that you homeschool to your local B&N? I've never had to for any store other than B&N. When we lived in IL, the B&N would not give me a teacher's card when they found out that we had no form of ID or affidavit there. Here in PA, the local B&N was obviously ignorant.

B&N: we need your id from the state.

Me: the state doesn't give us id's.

B&N: they don't?

Me: no.

B&N: well, we need a letter from the school district then.

Me: what letter?

B&N: don't they send you a letter or something stating that you can homeschool?

Me: no, and they can't send us a letter "approving" our homeschool; that would be the school district overstepping their bounds with the law. They don't "approve" us or send us letters.

B&N: do you belong to a homeschool group?

Me: not everyone belongs to one, but yes, I belong to **** *** ***, but they don't issue membership cards.

B&N: don't they send you letters?

Me: no, it's an email list. We email, set stuff up, and meet.

She goes to speak to the manager, they still insist on some proof, and I ask to speak to the manager. Same conversation, except he call a co-op a "coscion" with a look on his face that you could tell he was grasping for the right word and didn't know what he was talking about. I asked him, "a co-op?" Yep, that was it. He said that "all the other homeschoolers" always brought him some paper from the district. I told him that they may have brought him their affidavit, but that is a paper that WE send TO the district, not the other way around. I also told them that anyone could go home and fill one out, regardless of homeschooling status and that I could easily go home, print out a "homeschool teachers' card", and laminate it for them (my point was that their requirements were ridiculous as they are asking for something that doesn't exist and it's not "proof" anyhow). I did bring them an affidavit later as I had to take it up to the school anyhow.

Anyone else given a hard time?

This is an example of why it is important that homeschoolers do not randomly cave in and provide "proof". If everyone had stood their ground then the policy would change and no "proof" would be expected. I know this is just about a store discount but I feel like our freedoms are eroded each time a homeschooler caves in.*

Stores need to not be paranoid about non-homeschoolers cashing in on their discount. The homeschool discount is not specifically advertised and it doesn't count towards non-school purchases most of the time.

BTW, when I signed up at Borders, the fine print on the form stated that some states do not require homeschools to register and in those cases no proof is required. Maybe not your local clerk but someone higher up at Borders understands that the state laws differ.

*I also know people who keep a binder ready to show "in case someone shows up at my door". This family is actually ready to show a curriculum list, test scores, attendance and examples of essays etc. to anyone who shows up to question them (and none of this is required in this state). This makes me crazy...what about the next homeschool this person would try to harass? "Well,the last family showed me all their records, what are you hiding?" We might not have signed up to be homeschooling advocates but we are and we need to look out for each other. Our actions impact other current and future homeschoolers.

I just got off the phone with B&N (and let me say, the lady on the phone was very supportive of homeschooling!). On their website they have the requirements.

This letter is from us, the parents! We do not need proof from the school or membership cards to a group. We just have to write on a piece of paper our name, address, and grade levels of the students. (yes, I know that anybody can do this, but anyone can make a "card" and anyone can fill out an affidavit also).

B&N CS said that is sounded like their stores were not understanding (how homeschooling works as well as the policy) and reaching for what they did understand (the requirements for the school teachers). She suggested I send a print out of their regulations into the store.

They (customer service) understands that homeschoolers buy books and we are good customers. I did also mention the picking over book items and I explained as well that we don't buy just the "typical" books a brick and mortar school teacher would. We like to expand and make use of anything that we can find that fits what we are studying (and they have some good stuff that doesn't fall under the "typical teacher buy"). I've had my purchases picked over at Border's before, so I totally understand how frustrating that can be. Usually I head it off at the pass by chatting up the cashier about how we are studying such and such and how thrilled I was to find this book.

Thanks for looking into this!

At my BN some of the employees ask if a book is a classroom purchase and some don't. The card they have now is a 2 year card and it doesn't state homeschool or not. I guess they think all teachers will honor the point of the card and not buy for personal use. They have Teacher weeks throughout the year where you are permitted to buy anything with the card. But it's up to the card holder to be honest.

This is an example of why it is important that homeschoolers do not randomly cave in and provide "proof". If everyone had stood their ground then the policy would change and no "proof" would be expected. I know this is just about a store discount but I feel like our freedoms are eroded each time a homeschooler caves in.*

I agree with you on some points but PS teachers are also required to show proof that they are teachers to get the discount card. It is documented on the BN website exactly what that proof is for homeschoolers and it isn't unreasonable. We aren't necessarily being treated any differently as homeschoolers when it comes to BN. The people at that branch clearly were not properly trained!

Happi duck, I wonder if they didn't have a variety of things brought in (affidavits, evaluator forms, and letters from themselves) and that may have made things fuzzy for the cashier and manager. It didn't even seem they knew what they were looking at or cared. They just wanted something. The thing it, they SHOULD know and they should have been able to clarify that they just needed me to write down a few things on a piece of paper for them instead of just saying they needed "a letter" (when asked "from whom" they didn't really know and suggested the state, homeschool group, or school district...way off!). Ironically, they are also supposed to ask for photo id (driver's license) and they didn't do that.

I agree with you on some points but PS teachers are also required to show proof that they are teachers to get the discount card. It is documented on the BN website exactly what that proof is for homeschoolers and it isn't unreasonable. We aren't necessarily being treated any differently as homeschoolers when it comes to BN. The people at that branch clearly were not properly trained!

Actually, I've had this issue at two stores in two different parts of the country. The store in St Louis was downright snotty to me as though homeschoolers were beneath them. I walked out of that store and never went back. I was a die hard Borders person till I moved to PA. Here, the Borders looks like it slowly dying and I can't stand to go in there anymore. The B&N is an awesome store and I love going in there. I'd tried to get a discount card in past years with the same problem, but I just went home as I lived in the country and didn't get into the city enough to run back in with my affidavit. This time I was determined.

I needed to show my driver's license & bring in a copy of my letter from the district acknowledging that they received my letter of intent. It was no big deal for me, but I imagine this would be difficult in a state that doesn't require notification.

I agree with you on some points but PS teachers are also required to show proof that they are teachers to get the discount card.
I don't know about elsewhere, but they're required to show a pay stub here.

yes. I actually went to their website and printed out the FAQ , which says YOU just need to write a letter with your name, the child's name, and what grade you are going to be schooling. Nothing else is required, but everyone I've ever spoken to there thinks there are other requirements.

Oh, I don't have a problem with what B&N really requires but I do have a problem with the local stores not knowing what to do and expecting affidavits and such because other homeschoolers did so in the past. KWIM?

We are having issues in our area with homeschoolers showing an HSLDA card as "proof" and now places are requiring an HSLDA card. This came about because someone caved about "proof" instead of standing her ground. Obviously this is a hot button topic for me and about more than just B&N.

My B&N was a pain, too, and in Idaho, we don't have to submit anything to anyone about homeschooling, so I have nothing to show them to prove I homeschool (unless I make up something and print it out). I had to explain the Idaho law to the cashier, and the manager, and they still argued with me about "proof." I did get a card twice (it's been several years ago now, and you had to get a new card each year), but after the same issue both times, I haven't ever gotten another card, and don't shop there.

My B&N was a pain, too, and in Idaho, we don't have to submit anything to anyone about homeschooling, so I have nothing to show them to prove I homeschool (unless I make up something and print it out). I had to explain the Idaho law to the cashier, and the manager, and they still argued with me about "proof." I did get a card twice (it's been several years ago now, and you had to get a new card each year), but after the same issue both times, I haven't ever gotten another card, and don't shop there.

Print out what is on their website and take it in with you ;)

Everyone I know in my area had to submit proof.

I understand this. Otherwise, what would stop a nonhomeschooler from walking, saying they homeschool and then proceeding to buy random that may or may not be used for the benefit of students.

There are no requirements in New Jersey. You do not need to notify your local board of education that you are homeschooling your children. Thus, no ID to show.

I got my teachers card from Barnes & Noble (luckily) with no issues.

I rarely shop there though. Amazon.com is my best friend :001_smile:

I had this problem one year, we are with a homeschool charter, but I am not actually a teacher-employed by them...it's kind of a weird hybrid thing, I don't register with the state, since we are in the charter.

I took in a printed out attendance form. It did the trick. Just something they can look at, you can print them out at donnayoungs website.

good luck :D

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-at-school/faq.asp?PID=29387&cds2Pid=29386#5

Homeschooling parents are eligible by providing a photo ID and a letter with the following information:

Family name and address

Name of homeschooling parent(s)

Grade level of each child being homeschooled.

Interesting. This makes sense. I had to bring a copy of the educational district letter and a set of lesson plans. The clerk just looked them over and handed them back to me. I didn't think it would be right for them to keep anything legal like the letter in a file anywhere.

I've never had any trouble w/ B&N. At first (being paranoid), I took a copy of the letter I submitted to the school district, but no one ever looked at it in any detail. Last year I got an email inviting me to a "Homeschool Educator Open House" at one of the stores. I walked in with my 5 kiddos in tow, the woman took one look at us and said, "You must be here for the homeschool open house!" She gave me a card and that was it!

Later the same morning I ran across the street to JoAnn's to pick up some items and requested a teacher discount card. When the clerk asked for documentation, I provided a copy of the letter to the state. We went through a similar conversation.

Don't you have a card or something from the school district? No

Anything with your name on it? No

I need to call the manager.

Manager repeated above process.

I showed her the Educator Discount cards I had from Borders and B&N, which she scrutinized like I was trying to pass counterfeit bills. Finally she said she "supposed" she could let me have a card.

I thought it was hilarious to have 2 such different experiences within an hour of each other.

I live in Texas, where there is no notice, registration, etc. required, therefore no "proof" like an i.d. card.

When I went to B&N, I printed out letter with our school letterhead, addressed "To Whom It May Concern:" that simply said that I am a homeschool teacher of three students ages 2-9 and grades PS-4th. I signed it at the bottom. They didn't give me any problems.

The only "kink" was that when I asked about it the first time and they told me they needed a letter, I asked if I could write something and give it to them on the spot. They said no, it had to be printed. :confused: Like that made it more "real".

The chick at Michael's on the other hand...

I was asked to show proof of registration with the state at both Borders and B&N; I just print out a screen shot of the "Thank you for registering your homeschool for 2010-11" message. I have to say the folks at Borders are MUCH more lenient in terms of what I can use the card for — I've never been questioned on any book, and they've even let me buy things like art supplies and puppets with it. AND Borders lets me use the card on "bargain" books and other marked-down items (just not clearance items). I also get an email coupon for 33% or 40% off one item every week, and that coupon works on everything including legos!

Jackie

Kansas City here and I had no problem at BN, but Borders was a different story!

Both places though I stood my ground and said, the state doesn't require anything of me, I'm not a member of a co-op, what else do you want be to do?

At BN and Borders they have it right on there application what grades and such.

Now I'm scared to go to Joann's! :glare:

I didn't have too much trouble getting a card, although it had to go to a manager, etc., since the checkout person was unfamiliar with the details. I brought in a membership list for our local homeschool group as 'proof.' They always scrutinize my discounted purchases carefully, but politely.

I've never had to prove anything.

The biggest hassle I've had was when I purchased a couple of items the other day and the clerk told me she had to ring them up separatly because one of them was for school and the other wasn't. Then it turned out the school item wasn't eligible for the discount anyway.