Menu

What do you like for Kindergarten math?

Jane Elliot

I love Right Start A for K or Miquon. I even have both, but I'm using BJU K which we started last year and then moving slowly into BJU 1 for K because it is much more doable for me. We do lots of hands-on things with math and play with math during the week not as part of a program, but two or three times a week we sit down and "do math" with the BJU workbook. The math games and activities we do have come from RS and Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. I'm not a "one progam" kind of person, and I think math should be very relaxed and natural during the early years.

When I pulled my son out of PS Kindy after spring break, we did MUS Primer until the end of the year. My dd (4) is doing Singapore Essentials A right now for PreK. She is doing well with it. If she gets all the way through Essentials B in PreK, we will do MUS Primer for Kindy. If she doesn't, we will continue with Singapore Essentials B in Kindy, and then on to MUS Primer. We also do lots of additional, hands-on math with all sorts of manipulatives. . .counting bears, shape blocks, geoboards, etc.

We didn't use a text in K - I did get the Core Knowledge book, and made sure we covered what it had for K math.

This is exactly my plan.

We're starting our third week of school today and my dd5 said to me today during ds8's MUS lesson, "Mom, when do I get to start my math lessons with the blocks?":001_huh:

So, I may start throwing in a little "free exploration" with big brothers MUS blocks.:)

Saxon 1. Loved it--gave us a little morning "circle time," and it was filled with manipulatives and games (like playing "store").

I didn't use the meeting book; instead, we used a big posterboard calendar and sentence strips for the calendar/patterning activities. We did the meeting, however.

We're doing Singapore Earlybird B and will eventually do some work with RS games and the abacus and cuisenaire rods.

My son likes having a book "just like sister," so he's enjoying that for a while, but I'll do more hands on stuff eventually. I also like the MUS manipulatives for a few things, and their place value houses.

My daughter needed all that stuff to get it, my son gets it just from the book, but we will do the hands on things, too, just to make sure and to have a bit of fun once the textbook pales.

For my K dd this year I'm doing MEP y1 which she loves.

We're loving MEP 1 also. I'm going to add the R level for my little one for next year. M-girl was so proud of herself that she could figure out 11 blank shapes with only one number this morning. I wouldn't miss out on their logical thinking problems now that I know about them!

I used a variety of programs with my younger ds last year for kindergarten. He loves workbooks. We used Liberty Math K from CLP; BJU Math K; Kumon workbooks, and we completed the first 50 lessons in Saxon Math 1. We will finish Saxon Math 1 soon, but we're moving onto BJU math, Math in Focus and Math Mammoth (Blue series) combo for 1st grade.

Now for my daughter, we will go a totally different route. She is in PreK this year and we will be doing Singapore Essential Math Bk A as well as MEP Reception year. Once we finish with that, we will continue onto Essential Math B and Abeka Math K (I only like their Kindergarten program).

We just started CSMP, and we love it so far! I didn't use the K level--we just started the 1st grade level. Last year, we did Horizons, and while she did it, she always said she hated math. Now she is asking to do more math everyday. What I really like about it is that it teaches to so many different levels at the same time and weaves in critical thinking, and it recommends books to read along with the lessons. Dd likes it because we get to do things together, and because each lesson is based on a simple story.