Menu

For those who attend a PCA church...question about the WCF...

Do your children learn the Westminster Catechism questions in their Sunday School classes? If so, which "versions" do that use at each age?

I'm asking because two of my children (7yo and 9yo) are moving up into the 3rd through 5th grade classes...and, they will be studying the Ten Commandments...along with the Catechisms that go along with the Commandments. They will be using the Shorter Catechism in Modern English. Does anyone else use this "version" for children in that age group. In my opinion...some of the language used to cover the topics is a bit "advanced" for children as young as mine.

Thanks!

~Holly

The Shorter Catechism was written for children. :D

My 8 yo has been learning the Shorter (not in modern English, though) with dh for a few years. Dh just explains what the words mean as he goes. It is great for building vocabulary.

I really do think it's easier to just learn the Shorter from the start.

We teach the Shorter at home, too. We feel it is more thorough and accurate. The Shorter was originally written for children and the un/under educated. Knowing that, I find the newer "children's" version too simplistic. My 9yo told us he prefers to memorize the Shorter because it feels "real." unfortunately, our church uses the kid version. :(

Let me clarify...I guess I wasn't clear. Smiles!

With my children learning about the Ten Commandments...one of the topics will be adultery...with terms like "s*xually pure" being used in the Catechism. I'll just address this with the Sunday School teacher to ask how they will be covering the topic with such young children.

Thanks!

~Holly

Let me clarify...I guess I wasn't clear. Smiles!

With my children learning about the Ten Commandments...one of the topics will be adultery...with terms like "s*xually pure" being used in the Catechism. I'll just address this with the Sunday School teacher to ask how they will be covering the topic with such young children.

Thanks!

~Holly

Ohhhhh, that. :001_smile:

I have a different take than many, I suppose. We didn't cover ears over things like prostitution, adultery, etc. when they came up in sermons, SS, or Bible reading. The more often they hear our beliefs on these things, from the more people, the better imho.

With very yound dc it's very easy to just say "wanting to be someone else's wife" or "wanted to be married to a different wife instead of his own." Or we would say hugging and kissing another woman instead of his wife. That was the only way it made sense to them.

I would ask the SS teacher, though, I agree, to see what you will need to follow up on at home.

Thanks!

Actually, I prefer to do it the other way around. Introduce it at home so my kiddos can ask ME questions first before they hear it in SS.

No, we do not "cover up" topics like that...but, I am very careful as to how I present material to my children...age approriate language, etc.

Smiles!

~Holly

Thanks!

Actually, I prefer to do it the other way around. Introduce it at home so my kiddos can ask ME questions first before they hear it in SS.

No, we do not "cover up" topics like that...but, I am very careful as to how I present material to my children...age approriate language, etc.

Smiles!

~Holly

Goodness, I didn't say I prefer to have other people teach these things to my dc first!!

Our church uses the Shorter Catechism for our Wednesday night children's catechism classes. We are a small church and before the kids take the class, the preacher (also the teacher of the class) makes sure all the kids have been exposed to the catechism at home before he works with them on learning it. Glad to hear you were able to get in touch with the SS teacher and get the scoop.

Oh my...I certainly didn't mean to infer that you did! I'm sorry that you took it that way. Please forgive me if I offended you. I was just responding to your comment about asking the SS teacher how to follow up at home. I'll stop talking now! I really do appreciate your comments and taking the time to answer.

Smiles!

~Holly

Edited by Holly in FL