Menu

Free "field trip" activities?

robsiew

Okay, I'm not feeling very creative. I would really like to do some field trips this year with my kiddos. My oldest is 4th grade and things will only ramp up for him after this. My youngest are K and 1 and they just haven't had many "fun" school experiences. I'd love to help their younger years seem more "fun" before we run into times when we need more "book" time.

So... I can find PLENTY to do that costs money! But, I really need to find some things that don't. I know it sounds lame that I can't come up with it on my own, but really... I'm very good at finding the most expensive thing at a thrift store! :001_huh:

So, ideas of fun educational things that wouldn't cost anything (or much)? With 4 kids things add up fast!

Thanks!

Oh... and we're in MN and going into a great month or two of "good time to be outdoors". After that it's not as nice to be outside until March! Unless of course you're snowshoeing (which most of my children hate!) :D

If you can get a couple of other families together, a trip to the fire station is always awesome. We also went to a recycling plant that gave tours last year for free (with a scout troop.)

Free hiking trails that have things marked for the kids to see (plants, types of birds, etc.) You can take plaster of paris and look for animal tracks to immortalize.

I also like to watch for free days at our museums. We have a natural history museum that is free the first Mon. of every mo. and a state history museum that does a free homeschool day once a year. I would call any close to you and ask. Or look for a place that prints this type of thing. Our library carries a free city magazine that lists activities free and of cost monthly.

Libraries are another good place. Ours has classes throughout the year. Weekly storytimes for the prek/K set, and evening classes and plays and clubs throughout the year for the olders.

Our zoo has a lowcost day once a week.

T.V. news stations do tours. Again, this might be one to get a small group together for. Very fun for the kids to see themselves in the weather station and on the green screen!

Something not free here are pumpkin patches in the fall, but if you can find one that is not too expensive, it is a lot of fun.

I don't know where you are exactly, but Macy's has a program through the local library where you can "check out" museum passes; maybe there is something like that in your area. Here's the one for Minneapolis:

http://www.melsa.org/MuseumAdventurePass/index.cfm

I also constantly read local publications and websites for free activities for my kids.

Also --

At the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and The Weisman Museum, admission is always free. On Thursday nights, The Walker Art Center opens its doors to the public (for free), while the neighboring Minneapolis Sculpture Garden never charges for browsing.

For the kiddies? Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, Lego Land at Mall of America, State Capitol tours are always gratis. Kids eat free on Sundays at D’amico & Sons, as well as free every Tuesday at many Mall of America restaurants.

http://www.minneapolis.org/page/free-cheap-things-to-do-minneapolis.jsp

Check your local planetarium also. I have found one within a reasonable drive, and they have a great autumn backyard astronomy schedule posted. We'll definitely take advantage! :)

What about U-Pick farms, dairy farms, honey farms, etc.? Are there any local historical sites or battlefields to visit? Bakeries? Small, privately owned businesses?

What about U-Pick farms, dairy farms, honey farms, etc.? Are there any local historical sites or battlefields to visit?

I agree. These are awesome. My kids have loved picking berries and seeing animals. It's beneficial (in my opinion) to see how things grow or how they are made. Also parks, as many may have events (including seasonal ones).

Geocaching. If your phone gives you GPS it is free. I love the idea of expanding our curriculum for my 6th, 2nd, and preschooler. They can make small crafts to leave behind which are virtually free. They will learn to coordinates and directions to the location. We will read maps, and of course enjoy the outside.

You might need to put a small group together for some of these.

Fire station

recycling depot

wastewater treatment plant

local bakery

local factories

Thanks Ladies for these ideas! Many we have done, but there are some new ones too! Actually, from reading your posts, I'd kind of like to put together a "community" field trip plan where we visit different places that help our community run. Hmmmmm.... I'm liking that! I bet I could get a couple other families involved as well! Going to think on that one!

Thanks for helping me get the fire stoked! :D

Thanks Ladies for these ideas! Many we have done, but there are some new ones too! Actually, from reading your posts, I'd kind of like to put together a "community" field trip plan where we visit different places that help our community run. Hmmmmm.... I'm liking that! I bet I could get a couple other families involved as well! Going to think on that one!

Thanks for helping me get the fire stoked! :D

You actually helped me by asking. I got out my Tom-Tom (car GPS) and found out that I could enter the geo-caching into it and then looked up local hiding spots. I plan on introducing it at the end of September when we begin our explorers unit. I am excited to start it. The boys will think it is a treasure hunt, and can learn about longitude and latitude. We can also go online and comment on each one we find. I always had the idea in the back of my mind but your post, got me out of the idea stage and into the action one.

We recently took a field trip to an Asian supermarket. It was a great and free way to expose our young kids to aspects of another culture.

My city has a lot of ethnic festivals which are usually free to enter, and offer exposure to another culture's art, music, food, traditional dress, etc.

Going to watch a construction site makes a good field trip.

I haven't read thru the entire thread, so this may already be suggested but we love our "Kids Love..." book. If you get one for your state it has great ideas organized by region or places to go and see. for my state it has many free suggestions.

I don't know what state your are in, but if they have one for your state they are a great resource.

http://www.kidslovetravel.com/

MN's a very long state! Are you in the northern half or the southern half, please? Close to any bordering states? It would help us to know a little more about your locale in order to help us think of resources that might be close to you....

It's okay, I'm not looking for specifics, mainly some general ideas. Anything near Minneapolis/St. Paul would be doable for us. We live in Southern MN though.