Menu

I just saw a trailer for a cool movie about owls...

I did a bit of googling and found out they are based upon a book series, "The Guardians of Ga'Hoole"

Tell me about the books, and my girls just went goo goo watching the trailer on YouTube. From what you know about the books, would you be excited to see this movie?

My son has read (and re-read) the series several times. I haven't so I can't tell you about them, but we ARE going to go see the movie. My DS says that it *looks* like the movie may be merging several of the books.

We saw the trailer when we went to the movies, but I couldn't tell from the trailer if we would find it appropriate.

We're pretty strict in conscience (our kids are too old to be strict in terms of controlling their choices) about certain things. I'd like to see if this is something we'll want to get excited about. Maybe I can find some info online about the books.

Okay, so according to Wikipedia, it may not be for us....I would like to know other people's opinions. I would guess we're probably on the pretty conservative side when it comes to movies.

Edited by 2J5M9K

DS read and re-read the series when he was in elementary school. He wrote a story about the Guardians for Illinois Young Authors and won a prize.

I never read the books but from what DS told me about them there isn't anything objectionable. I think they are along the lines of Watership Down and the Rats of NIMH (but maybe not as classic).

About the movie - we saw the trailer and I was excited. DS said that certain things were 'off' just in the few snippets he saw. His comment was "I hope they don't alter it like they did The Lightening Thief". We are planning on seeing it.

My dd loves the series. I haven't read them, but from what she's told me about them, I don't think they have anything worrisome in them. (this is a child that will talk incessantly about whatever books she is reading, so you know all about them even if you've never cracked the cover) I think they are of a similar vein as the Warrior (cats) series. She's looking forward to the movie.

I haven't read the books, but an 11-year-old boy I tutor just finished reading the first book.

He absolutely loved it! He likes fantasy/animal POV stories so I think as long as your kids are into that stuff it would be a good movie and book for them. I, OTH, am not really into animal POV type things. I like Fantasy though. So I might give it a chance.

We love, love, love this series. The author is Jewish and one of the stories in the book closely parallels the story of the golden calf. The book series gets an A+ fantastic from this very conservative orthodox Jewish mama. :)

I know the movie will be nowhere as good as the books, but we're looking forward to it nonetheless. It does merge together stories from more than one book, so we already know it's messing with the plot. :) OTOH, as far as I know the author was completely involved in the movie process so hopefully its message and style isn't too far off from the books.

It is probably our favorite series of all time. :)

Okay, so according to Wikipedia, it may not be for us....I would like to know other people's opinions. I would guess we're probably on the pretty conservative side when it comes to movies.

Very curious what you read that you thought might make it objectionable??? I'm very choosy in what my children read and always prescreen for things that are objectionable to our religion, values, etc. Just very curious. Maybe I'll have to pop over to wikipedia and read it myself. :)

Was it the St. Aggies, moon-blinking, etc. allusions???? Do a search on Legends of Ga'hoole and Nazi and I think you'll understand a little more why these particular allusions are used. There are many parallels between the story in Legends of Ga'hoole and Nazi Germany. I think once you understand that, the story makes more sense. :)