Menu

? about adding in Singapore to our math studies

I hate to even ask the question, but based upon what we're using for our math studies right now (MEP, CSMP, Strayer-Upton), would there be any benefit or gain by adding in Singapore at all? I could take out the Strayer-Upton if I had to, but I do like that for its no-nonsense style. I could also let go of CSMP, though I am hesitant to do so, as I feel we could gain benefits from sticking with it.

Should I stay the course, or continue to wonder if I'm missing out by not using Singapore?

That's a tough call. I would stick with the philosophy of if what you have is working, why change or add anything?

If your math program works for your children, keep going. If it is not, then look at what is happening as to why the child may not understand before you make a switch.

Just a thought. By the way, I use Singapore Math and I love it.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I would recommend reading The Singapore Model Method book and then subbing the word problems from the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book for some of the ones in Strayer-Upton. That would allow you to add the best part of SM without overloading your student.

:iagree:

Thanks!

I am mostly thinking out loud here, wondering if I need to make a purchase or if I can make do with what I have on hand. I do have a challenging word problem-type book (a vintage find) on hand, but I would say it would be best for around 5th or 6th grade. I do have Liping Ma's book and have been reading through it for guidance as well.

I haven't actually started *any* math with my dd4 (outside of some math lit and C-rod free play) :tongue_smilie:, but I've been wondering the same thing - does SM add anything necessary or unique to my planned MEP/CSMP spine (with Miquon, RS, and CWP additions)? (Well, gee, it sounds kinda nuts when you put it like that. :lol:)

I've come to the conclusion, that SM, like RS, is more engineering math than pure math (like MEP, CSMP, and Miquon - inasmuch as you can say that *any* elementary program is "pure math", of course ;)). SM is trying to develop mental flexibility and fluency with numbers - to be learn to break numbers apart and put them back together in any number of ways - so that ultimately, you are a lean, mean, arithmetic-problem-solving machine :D. Basically, SM is teaching you how to use your arithmetic toolbox to its fullest. But it's not really teaching you *why* those tools can do what they do - just that they *can* do it - and here are all sort of ways to use this tool. And SM does seem to have the coolest application problems ;).

So do you need SM?

As a pp said, the CWP are kind of the pinnacle of the SM experience - so if your dd can do those, she is all set. And I know that MEP and CSMP certainly mean to develop a high-level fluency in arithmetic in addition to all the exploring of the whys, and Strayer-Upton seems like it is all about practicing to fluency - so in theory I'd think most kids would be well served by what you are doing. And since you like S-U - the most philosophically similar of your programs to SM - and don't want to replace it, I'm not sure how much the non-CWP elements of SM would add to what you are doing.

HTH

I haven't actually started *any* math with my dd4 (outside of some math lit and C-rod free play) :tongue_smilie:, but I've been wondering the same thing - does SM add anything necessary or unique to my planned MEP/CSMP spine (with Miquon, RS, and CWP additions)? (Well, gee, it sounds kinda nuts when you put it like that. :lol:)

So do you need SM?

And since you like S-U - the most philosophically similar of your programs to SM - and don't want to replace it, I'm not sure how much the non-CWP elements of SM would add to what you are doing.

HTH

This is kind of where we are---using all sorts of things (I also have the RS card games, and Miquon fractions workbook, etc.). However, for the spine, I think we are very happy with the three I listed. I just wanted to make sure (before the boat leaves the port) that I'm packed and ready to go, KWIM?

I'll look at those CWP books. Thank you so much for your addition to the discussion. It is very much appreciated!:)