Menu

Need budget help with food, so many of you are much better at it than me!

Okay, I've been in a state of denial...we had 2 mortgages for 31 months!!! It sold in January, then I worked hard to act as a general contractor on our own pool..my poor dh had worked 2 jobs for that time and he wanted something to show for it...I saved us 40k by building it myself!!! (Well, I hired out subs, but I did do some work and all the landscaping)...but, now we have to get ourselves out of the pool payment (home equity and remnant credit card bills that went too high due to 2 mortgages)...so I sat down and crunched all the numbers and we can be out of all debt (except mortgage) in 19 months!!! I know it seems long, but it's going to take some cutting of expenses....

I am giving us a food budget of $800 a month..I'm going to take the cash out and put $200 in weekly envelopes...dh gets $20 a week to eat out (dollar menu no doubt!) at work...I'm hoping I can make him lunches each day and he'll bank the $20 for something else..I digress...

I do buy organic milk, that's one I can't bend on...so that right there is $40 a month...(Sam's Club) we use 2 gallons a week. I don't buy packaged foods (mac/cheese/crackers/cookies/chips/) just canned veggies/frozen veggies/fresh fruit/veggies lean meats/fish/but I do buy cereals for those quickie breakfasts...but tonight I went to Publix and it was $125 for maybe 4 days worth of food....when did it get so expensive? I just haven't kept track other than seeing my eggs/ milk go up so much.

I'm going to Publix's website for their printable coupons and I only buy their cereal when it's 2/1....I don't buy sodas...but I have to admit I bought 3 packs because they were $10 and we're having a scout party at my house, so I figured I'd prebuy for that while they were on sale...

All right, enough babble...share your saving tips!

Tara

I tend to look at things this way:

What do we all like to eat, and how can I keep that inexpensive. You already know that you need organic milk. I also only eat good eggs.

Our family eats on $500 a month, there are four of us with a teenage boy and we do a lot of socializing where we need to bring food. That is $250 a pay period. I do this by making a menu, starting with breakfast. I buy all the breakfast for a pay period. Eggs, milk, slimfast for dh, instant oatmeal, cold cereal, ect. Then lunch, I can't fill the fridge with lunch meat or the kids and dh would eat it while I was gone like candy, but I can buy tuna, top ramen, bread, peanut butter and a roast beef that I will carve for lunch meat. Then dinner, I will buy meat for ten dinners knowing that sometimes when we are busy we will eat on the go. Rice, pasta and potatoes go with dinner as well as lettuce and salad dressing. Fruit, grahm crackers and cheese sticks for snacks.

I buy pizza things for Sunday when dh makes pizza for everyone. That is the most expensive meal of the week, at probably $12- $15 depending on what cheese and Italian meats are running, we could eat Little Ceasars cheaper, but dh makes a heavenly pizza.

This is the only way I know to make sure that we get what we need. I also will bake muffins or bagels for snacks at the end of the pay period when we run out of fruit. I buy most of my baking supplies in November when they go on sale for the holidays.

That is about what my budge is running and that includes non-food items like shampoo, paper products, dog food, etc.

I switched over to store brands on everything but peanut butter. I have tried and hated all the store brands I've tried to far. In most cases, the store brand is significantly cheaper than name brand. For example, oats and instant potatoes were half the price for store brand than name brand.

Winn Dixie often has 10 for $10 canned veggies. This is a great time to get diced tomatoes for chili, stews, etc. I do use dry beans, but I like to have canned kidney beans, chick peas, etc. on hand.

I've cut the amount I meat I use for recipes. If I used to use 2 lbs of hamburger, I only use 1 now. For instance, I'm making spaghetti for dinner tomorrow night. I'll use 1 lb hamburger, 1 pack noodles, and jar sauce.

When we do taco night, I cut the meat in half and offer kidney beans and rice as taco filler.

We have crockpot baked potatoes one night a week.

I stretch leftovers by making quesadillas the next night. For example, take leftover chicken, add some rice, fried onions/peppers, and cheese. Suddenly, a small amount of leftover meat makes a meal for the family.

We also avoid all mixes unless the sale is too good to pass up. We recently got brownie mix 2 for $1. I could not make them from scratch that cheap.

We use organic milk too. But, I have found the store brand to be cheaper than name brand here too. Dd and I use Almond milk (allergies) so there is no getting around that one.

Cereal is outrageous. We had to stop buying it. Toast, eggs, bagels, peanut butter on toast with apple, oatmeal is cheaper. I do make my own cereal out of oats, raisins, and whatever is on sale. Last month coconut was 1/2 price and pecans were buy one get one free. Great additions to the cereal!

We buy fruit and veggies that are in season or on sale.

Other than cutting out chips, soda and other "junk" (candy, processed foods), and steak, that is all I've been doing list wise. I do alternate where I shop depending on what I need.

HTH! And I need some fresh ideas, can't wait to see what responses you get!!

Here's the USDA Food Plan chart for thrifty, low-cost, moderate, and more liberal budgets. You can click on a link at the bottom of the chart and see what the USDA purchased to meet the requirements for each plan in the most nutritious manner possible.

If you want to see how your family stacks up, you take the individual weekly or monthly cost for each family member, total it, then subtract 5% for the 5 or 6 person family. Calculations have been done for a family of four people of certain ages, but if you don't have a family that fits the description, don't use it.

The link for the latest plan, June 2010:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2010/CostofFoodJun10.pdf

The link for the food plans based on costs through many years:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm

The single best tip that I can give you is to plan. your. meals. I plan daily menus, right down to snacks, seven days at a time. I have goals in mind when I meal plan:

1. Go meatless at least once per week (this is my goal, you can obviously go more if you guys are up for it).

2. Keep dinners under 5.00 per night (average).

You can go from there. I had to drastically reduce our food budget this semester to lessen the blow of childcare while I'm in class. I cut our bill by half with careful planning. Granted, I had to make some concessions (so I still get organic dairy but gave up organic produce; I gave up breakfast cereal in favor of hot cereals that have to be cooked; some weeks I have to bite the bullet and buy the cheap eggs).

You can virtually eliminate all cleaning supplies and just buy vinegar, baking soda, a box of borax, and an empty spray bottle.

Eliminate paper towels and ziploc bags in favor of their reusable counterparts.

Eliminate sodas and juice altogether or, if you feel you must have something like that for a specific event, several packs of Kool Aid will only set you back a buck or so.

This is my joy! I really love to pinch her to splurge there in food buys!

First thing is menu list!

We sat down as a family and listed all the meals we loved!!

Then we do a calender for the week, and put in what is on the calendar, church evenings, practices, or long days (school)

then plan menus for the week, breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks!!

I know that if I have a long day of school, making dinner is not a good thing! so I plan easy meals,

Teriyaki Burgers

pinapple slice on a hamburger with a bit of teriyaki sauce!

Days I have more time in the morning, make an green enchilada casserole

excellent for those time I am out of the house in the afternoon!

Simmer some chili con carne, all day in a crock pot, and serve over rice that evening.

A cheap pork roast seared and some chipotle seasons in the crock pot, can be shredded for BBQ pork sandwiches one night, refried with diced pots for taco's with lime and cilantro toppings! I usually have just enough of the pork left for red pork enchiladas (rolled) from a big pork roast, or green chile' stew!

We try every other week to do a new recipe, a seasoning we haven't had, or a casserole we never did! Some go on the master list, others don't

I spend $150 a week, that includes paper products and cleaning supplies. That is our budget!!

My goal, to have enough for a pound of expresso roast beans from Starbucks !

We are a family of 6, Hubby two boys 14 and 12, and twin girls 11 and Me! I am on a low carb diet, so I don't get the pots or tortillas! just the insides! lol

Good luck! it is fun, give yourself some fun with it!!

Plan your meals around the grocery store sales. I check the sales each Wed. morning then plan my meals. This week, I got a good deal on ground turkey so we had turkey meatballs. I also found a good price on whole chickens so I made roasted chicken with carrots.

Then, you buy on sale and freeze items. My family likes tilapia. I only buy it when the "Buy 1, Get 2 Free" is running so I get three packages for the price of one. If you try to buy all your meat and produce on sale, you'll save quite a bit of money and not even have to use coupons.

I think planning to freezer and batch cook will also help with expenses because you can buy in bulk and also be prepared when time is short and you need food fast.

I also go meatless, but try to 2x a week, or at least make one of those an egg dish. I also have really stretched the meat by cooking it mostly mixed with other things so you don't have to have 6-8 oz per person. For example I make a mac-n-chz (yes it's pkg but it's the Annie's kind). I use 2 boxes, 1lb of ground beef, and 2 cans of mild store brand RoTel tomatoes. It makes a queso mac-n-cheese that my family loves. But I freeze 1/2 of this so I have it for 2 meals. So one lb of hamburger feeds the 4 of us twice. I can stretch a couple of chicken breasts into enough meat for a chicken spaghetti, and again one batch of that makes enough for 2 meals so I freeze 1/2.

I also am trying to be better about buying only fruits that are closest to $1/lb as possible. They are still fresh and delicious, but it means we might do without apples this week and have plums instead.

I am also trying to cook a dish with beans once a week. Those are SO cheap! My kids don't care much for them though, so sometimes if I make a recipe that's a dud it's okay with me if they have a yogurt and a banana for dinner instead. I simply can't always cater to their every whim.

Thanks, RoughCollie, for posting that USDA thing. It looks like I am right on target for moderate, but would like to work toward low cost. I just don't know if I can do that and still get organic meat and milk, and lots of produce.

Lots of lentils and dry beans. Throw them in the crockpot with some spices, serve with rice. I cook chicken or roast one day, then use the broth for the beans the next day.

Eggs every day. Use all the whites and give some of the yolks to the dogs.

No cold cereal.

Find the sale freezer at the grocery store and only buy meats that are on sale. Work menus around what's on sale.

Fresh fruits are a must here. I find the cheapest ones and we eat those. What ever is in season is cheapest.

When tp is on sale, stock up. :)

Make your own laundry and dishwasher detergents. Easy and cheap.

Do you have room for a small garden? Throw some spinach seeds out this week.

Are you around a dairy? Can you buy milk right from the source? Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes not.

Sweet potatoes are healthy, versatile and delicious. Usually pretty cheap here.

hth!

I'm a total e-mealz convert. (And yes, that's a referral code! :lol:) It saves me time, money, energy, and all kinds of effort. I love it. Really. There are plans for varieties of grocery stores, diets, family sizes... and it's infinitely tweakable. :)

ETA: If you do sign up, use code DAVE for $2.50 off your first 3-month subscription!

Edited by AlaskaGrownFamily

Tara, I just decreased my food budget from $1400-1200/month to $800/month. All I did was quit going to Publix (my fav) where I did shop the sales and went to Wal Mart instead. I buy all my meats still at Publix and I buy the Greenwise brand only, so I probably spend more than you there.

Dh eats lunch for free most of the time so that's a bonus.

We use coupon sense, and get multiple copies of the Sun paper for the coupons. It figures out what is on sale and which coupon from which week from any of the last several weeks that goes with what's on sale. I buy in bulk using coupons and almost always purchase things when they are at their best (lowest) price. For example, meats on sale go in our big freezer. I also belong to our local fruit/veggie co-op and save a lot that way. The other day I spent $69 and saved $127 at the grocery. We stocked up on chicken (for the freezer), toilet paper, cereal, shampoo, plus lots of other great deals. You can try pinching your pennies for a similar program and has forums for each state (it's free).

When I plan our meals, I plan with what we have now in the house. The exception being something odd ball for a particular recipe that can't be stored. I was able to get away with barely shopping during the super hot summer. My family didn't even realize.

eta: sorry for the poor grammar!

It is stocked with only there brand and you have to pay in cash. Most of their stuff is really good and very reasonable priced. In fact, my Dh prefers their brownie mix hands down from any of the name brand kind. We are a family of 4 and spend about $60/week if that much.

You say you go to SAM's. IF you have a freezer you might try buying the food in bulk. We buy pork tenderloins and have their butcher cut them for us, we do the same thing with beef sirloins. It's much cheaper to buy the bulk ones and have them cut than buy the already cut ones. If you're lucky and you happen to have a turkey or chicken plant near you they may have a company store where you can buy their products. We have one near us and get our chicken from there for a very big discount.

We are living on about half of what we were making last year so we've had to really scrunch. For my family of 5 - 2 adults, 3 teenagers one of whom is a very large boy and one dog we are getting by on about $350.00 a month for food and household/toiletries. Besides having a strict budget, planning out our meals for the month, making a grocery list and sticking to it I also:

*cook every thing I possibly can from scratch using as many fresh, home canned or bulk staple ingredients as possible. We rarely buy canned food other then soup, refried beans and tuna, never buy convenience food, i.e. boxed mac & cheese, hamburger helper etc., and our only treat food purchase each month is 1 lb of sugar cereal per kid (which I buy in the bulk aisle), a rare half gallon of ice cream and my husband's diet drink mix.

I do buy chocolate chips for baking and hot chocolate mix. We eat treats, we just prefer to home-make them.

*put up (can or freeze) fruits and veggies every year.

*make my own laundry soap and shampoo and have switched to using vinegar for an all purpose spray cleaner and as fabric softener. Doing this saves me at least $30-$50 a month.

*wash and reuse my Ziplock bags, and I don't buy plastic wrap, instead I use and reuse the "disposable" Ziplock or Glad containers. I do buy paper towels but they are only used for grease, for everything else we use rags. I buy non-coated cheapo paper plates and we use them on washable picnic plate holders for lunch and breakfast to save on dish washing.

*buy meat in bulk whenever possible and as it comes on sale, re-portion and freeze.

*buy staples in bulk like oats, spices, flour, sugar, dried pasta etc, and keep my staples stocked. I make my own pancake, biscuit and muffin mix in bulk batches and for quick cooking, I also make spaghetti, chili and taco seasoning mixes in large batches.

*Have switched to using lunch meat as a treat. I buy a small turkey ham and have the deli slice it for lunch meat but my kids know when it's gone, it's gone. For sandwiches we eat mostly peanut butter, tuna and egg salad. For lunch we use leftovers a lot and non-traditional things, like pb&j on a left over pancake or crackers, cheese and fruit.

*Use eggs as a cheap source of protein. I boil up a batch to have on hand for snacks and egg salad and we eat them for breakfast a lot. Ours are from a local farm and fresh eggs are one of those things I won't compromise on. Luckily we get them for a very good price.

*Feed my dog a good dog food. I know this sounds strange, but cheap dog food costs more in the long run because he will eat through it faster when it's not meeting his nutritional needs, plus a healthy dog doesn't require the vet as often.

I don't do coupons as a rule because so much of what we buy is fresh, bulk or staples, not things you find many coupons for. Also, I feel I'd lose any savings in extra gas going to to different stores. I pretty much make one big grocery run a month to Costco and Winco and Cash & Carry (for meat). Once a week when we're in town we get fresh produce and check sales on meat, toiletries, things like that.

I also don't make my own bread, though I'd like to, because we are somewhat picky about our sandwich bread which is what we would mostly use it for. The problem is we don't like it bulky. I've yet to find a way to make bread that slices nicely into sandwich like pieces and so our home-made bread mainly gets used for toast.

Anyway, hth :)

Edited by JustGin

I haven't crunched the numbers recently, but I need to.

Stock up shopping is by far my greatest help. We also don't like the store brands of peanut butter, plus we like reduced fat so last week when jars were on sale for $1 I bought 15. Last month when boxes of pasta were on sale for $32 (buy 8, plus they had peely coupons on them), I bought 18. The majority of food items, cleaning supplies, and personal care items that come into the house do so when they're 50% or less of cost. The biggest deals come when you can combine sales with coupons. On weeks where the coupons are really good on items we use, I'll buy extra newspapers. I used to think coupons were all for junk food but in the past weeks I've clipped for string cheese, yogurt, chicken, toothpaste, etc--all good stuff. Occasionally I'll use them to have a ready after school snack.

I cook big batches of the things we like when I've collected most of the ingredients on sale. A few weeks ago I cooked up a big roaster pan of chicken and shredded it for the freezer. I routinely keep chicken stock, chicken soup, chili, and spaghetti in the freezer as well. Often I'll make a big box of spaghetti noodles, drain well and freeze. They're not quite as good as freshly made but when drenched in sauce the family doesn't notice.

I have a few go-to cheap meals. $5 per dinner for meat is my upper limit, usually it's less.

I also keep a few jars of spaghetti sauce on the shelf to add with noodles and mozerella for a quick meal.

I buy one of those restraunt size cans of pizza sauce at Sam's and freeze it in the size I need for a homemade pizza. The last time I priced it, it was cheaper than making my own and we like it better.

I don't have a garden, as our yard is very shady, soil isn't good, and town water is expensive.

I've been making my own laundry soap, but stock up on All when it's on sale for when the guys that need something stronger or really yuck towels. I'm using vinager as a rinse agent in the dishwasher.

There are a few stores that I frequent where I've got to know some of the employees and while I would have chatted with them anyway :), it's been a good resource for bargains. Last week I gave a tip to one of the employees and she handed me some flyers. The butcher at one store and I chat about the best deals or what we've a hankering for, and there's a really knowledgable produce guy who hands me coupons sometimes and makes suggestions at another.

The biggest killer to my food budget is that I'm not a highly organized person so I miss some things (ie leftovers in the fridge or expired stuff on the shelf). It also costs more when I don't have a meal plan in place and run to carry out. Tackling that is my next goal because we just had a big unexpected vehicle repair and daughter needs braces.

Edited by Pippen

We are surviving on a food (not including household supplies, personal care) budget of about $75 a week. This does not include the $100 a week we set aside for quarterly cooking (I buy in bulk, and cook/prep in bulk, so that we can have good, homemade meals I can get dinner to the table in 30 minutes or less, utilize the crock-pot, or need minimal work to get done). We are a family of 7.

We eat egg meals twice a week (quiche, omlette, eggs, egg sandwiches).

I make as much as I can from scratch, and buy bulk items (not small cans, industrial size), I also buy frozen veggies, and grow some. Cuts down on waste.

We eliminated extras (most dry cereals, chocolate milk mix, juice, etc.) The only cereals I buy are plain Cheerios and Mini Wheats (the mini-wheats are a snack item around here... not a breakfast food). We buy and eat oatmeal in bulk.

I add black beans to Mexican dishes, lentils to chili and spaghetti to "extend" the meat, while keeping texture, adding fiber and protein.

I had started baking my own sandwich bread...but was only "saving" 50 cents a week from buying it at Costco. But, if you aren't picky about bread, seek out a day-old bread store, and you can save even more (I'm avoiding certain ingredients... not a day-old snob ;)

Pretty much, my weekly shopping trip only includes 5 items: bread, milk, eggs, yogurt -- and one other item.

Most eating out is gone. However, I will occasionally drive through for chicken nuggets, but water bottles and some sort of side dish were packed ahead (cheese sticks, veggie straws...)

Net time you go to Sam's, write down the sizes you are buying and the cost to get a per ounce cost. I have found htat for most things I can actually buy them much cheaper at the grocery store, especially if I have coupons. If there are brands you prefer, go to their websites and sign up for emails and coupons. Mambosprouts is a favorite because they also have other organic coupons. I have a separate free email account for coupons and such because they can grow to too many and I hate having my personal box full.

You also need to see what you are actually buying and if any is going to waste.

To begin, it is also helpful to make a complete inventory of what you already have on hand. Make a menu just based on that and then just buy the perishables and what is really marked down for a week or 2. That is instant savings. If you find meat really marked down while doing this, freeze it in meal portions for later use or add it to your menu.

I buy bread at the bargain bread stores. Each day the drivers bring back the bread they didn't need to stock the stores and I can buy the really good healthy stuff for at least half of the grocery store price. Since we have a large freezer, I often buy a month's worth at a time and freeze it. I rarely pay more than $1.25 for a loaf of the Pepperidge Farms specialty breads. If we ate the cheap white and wheat I could buy it for under $1 most of the time.

We are living on about half of what we were making last year so we've had to really scrunch. For my family of 5 - 2 adults, 3 teenagers one of whom is a very large boy and one dog we are getting by on about $350.00 a month for food and household/toiletries. Besides having a strict budget, planning out our meals for the month, making a grocery list and sticking to it I also:

:)

WOW!! Just reading all the tips!! You guys are doing GreAT!!! $350 a month!! Wow! If I could cut it down to that, I'd be a superhero!!! I'm making progress...I went and took cash out and divided them into 4 weeks of groceries....I'm writing the amount on the envelope to see what is 'typical'...I stopped by Wal-Mart to buy salad fixings, cat food (I HATE cats, but people keep dropping them off....farm life :tongue_smilie:) milk, chicken on sale, and potatoes...I'm not sure but it was $60!! I didn't really buy much that could pass as meals, the salad stuff will last 3 days and be part of 3 meals....

I know we'll be going through my pantry this month and raiding all the dried beans I've managed to collect the past 3 years! I'm going to try and hit the Publix coupons, but like some of you stated, coupons are mostly processed foods which we don't really buy...I'm going to try the farmer's market, wished I knew how to can!!! I love canned green beans in the winter...I was just amazed at Wal-Mart, I made a german potato casserole for dinner and it called for bacon, their Oscar Meyer bacon which is usually 3.09 was 4.89!!! When did this happen?? Their organic milk was more than Publix! I was not happy.

But so far so good, I have a 6' 200 pound 15 year old teenager who pretty much keeps us out of second meals...I need to start making more foods that he's not fond of! :)

I have 4 packages of frozen spinach..if anyone has good recipes I can hide them in, let me know! Thanks for the great tips!!! We can save a lot that we might even be able to get out of debt in 12 months!!!!! :)

Thanks!!

Tara

This is my meal that everyone except the youngest can cook for the nights when we are busy and may want to eat out.

I buy the fresh boneless/skinless chicken breasts from Costco for $2.63 per pound. Maybe a little more - but under $3.00. We all cut them up immediately (before freezing) into bite size pieces. We use about 3 breasts for 7 of us. We put bite size pieces into a freezer bag, add either teriyaki or orange chicken sauce and freeze.

Every person likes both of these. When struggling for what to cook for dinner we take out a package of chicken, dump into frying pan and cook. While it is cooking, we either boil noodles or cook rice and a vege. That's it. In 15 minutes we have dinner that I don't have to cook.

Blessings,

Michele

Okay, I've been in a state of denial...we had 2 mortgages for 31 months!!! It sold in January, then I worked hard to act as a general contractor on our own pool..my poor dh had worked 2 jobs for that time and he wanted something to show for it...I saved us 40k by building it myself!!! (Well, I hired out subs, but I did do some work and all the landscaping)...but, now we have to get ourselves out of the pool payment (home equity and remnant credit card bills that went too high due to 2 mortgages)...so I sat down and crunched all the numbers and we can be out of all debt (except mortgage) in 19 months!!! I know it seems long, but it's going to take some cutting of expenses....

I am giving us a food budget of $800 a month..I'm going to take the cash out and put $200 in weekly envelopes...dh gets $20 a week to eat out (dollar menu no doubt!) at work...I'm hoping I can make him lunches each day and he'll bank the $20 for something else..I digress...

I do buy organic milk, that's one I can't bend on...so that right there is $40 a month...(Sam's Club) we use 2 gallons a week. I don't buy packaged foods (mac/cheese/crackers/cookies/chips/) just canned veggies/frozen veggies/fresh fruit/veggies lean meats/fish/but I do buy cereals for those quickie breakfasts...but tonight I went to Publix and it was $125 for maybe 4 days worth of food....when did it get so expensive? I just haven't kept track other than seeing my eggs/ milk go up so much.

I'm going to Publix's website for their printable coupons and I only buy their cereal when it's 2/1....I don't buy sodas...but I have to admit I bought 3 packs because they were $10 and we're having a scout party at my house, so I figured I'd prebuy for that while they were on sale...

All right, enough babble...share your saving tips!

Tara

Tara, :bigear:

I'm right there with ya. I posted a thread recently stating that my sister and 2 friends are now mortgage-free. Wow, how did that happen? Why not for us?

So, after my 2 friends giving me advice and many good suggestions on this board, I starting keeping my receipts. Food is an area in which I need to cut back...hmm maybe I'll lose some weight then. :001_smile: Already at 2.4 weeks out of 4 weeks worth of food buying, I feel I've spent too much.

Like you, I buy organic milk...yes, it's expensive, but worth it. I buy some other organics like: butter, lettuce, carrots, and a few other things. But, I've compared the price of organics at several stores that carry organic and prices for regualr butter, lettuce, carrots, etc and "sometimes" it's not that much more at all. It's worth a tad bit more money to get the quality food.

With that said, I need to make many improvements with our grocery budget and work on other areas to budget.

I'm not much help, but I'm in the same position....Sheryl <><

I have 4 packages of frozen spinach..if anyone has good recipes I can hide them in, let me know! Thanks for the great tips!!! We can save a lot that we might even be able to get out of debt in 12 months!!!!! :)

I use frozen spinach in Danish Wedding Soup. I don't think that's traditional (I could be wrong) but we like it. I also use it in minestrone. HTH.