Menu

My dd was appalled

My dd is home from freshman orientation. She couldn't believe that in her group only one other girl had read the required summer reading. DD read it and took notes because she' an overachiever but you'd think the kids would have leafed through it. I'm not really shocked but it's still annoying. Why would you pay what this small private college costs and not take advantage of a great education?

Most likely it's true that it's the ones who aren't paying for it who aren't taking it seriously.

I do know a few people in college who are paying for it themselves who don't read the materials. They figure that they'll still pass the course. For some people it's not about the education itself. It's just about getting the paper that says they have a degree. They're happy as long as they can manage to swing a passing grade. These are grown up people that I know--people going back to college and paying their own way while working and raising a family.

I'm reeeeaaally hoping to teach my kids to love education, and not just "degrees" by the time they're college age.

Edited by Garga

My dd is home from freshman orientation. She couldn't believe that in her group only one other girl had read the required summer reading. DD read it and took notes because she' an overachiever but you'd think the kids would have leafed through it. I'm not really shocked but it's still annoying. Why would you pay what this small private college costs and not take advantage of a great education?

Well, a guess might be that the males want "gentleman's Cs" and females are pursuing their M.R.S degree. It depends on the school.

Because they don't directly pay for it themselves, they don't see it as important.

Umm... I feel the need to correct the assumption that those who go to public school don't PAY anything... My oldest is now attending a Charter/Magnet high school. So far we've payed about $300 in fees and supplies, and I have a feeling that that is not going to be the total for the year.

Being the type-A homeschoolers that we are, Mac not only read what was required, but most all the other bks listed as well, and took notes.

As far as I've seen, she's in a school were most all the kids are busting their buts, but that could be cause they'll get kicked out if they don't maintain a good enough grade-point average.

Umm... I feel the need to correct the assumption that those who go to public school don't PAY anything... My oldest is now attending a Charter/Magnet high school. So far we've payed about $300 in fees and supplies, and I have a feeling that that is not going to be the total for the year.

I think Jean was talking about kids whose parents pay for their college education.

They probably didn't read it because they have been trained throughout K-12 to do the minimum required for the grade they desire in a class. I don't blame this on the students though, I blame it on the system that allows them to do that. Is there a test on the novel or an essay or a graded discussion or anything? If not, then the students won't believe it is "worth" their time to read it if there aren't any points associated with that. Hope that makes sense.

I studied my undergrad degree by correspondence while working full-time in a basic admin job. Thereafter I had the opportunity to attend university full-time for my post-grad degree. I noticed immediately how the straight-from-full-time-undergrad students simply did not appreciate the gift of their education. For most of them, it had all been given to them. Many didn't bother to complete the assigned readings, and seemed more interested in the social experience than the work. On the other hand, my husband and I were paying directly for our education, and I greatly appreciated the opportunity to concentrate full-time on my studies, do all the readings, have other students to discuss ideas with, etc. I think it helped that I was a few years older than many of the students. One thing I took away from the experience was that I will not help my children out with educational expenses until they have worked for a few years. And I mean "real" 9-5 type work, not backpacking "fun" work!

They probably didn't read it because they have been trained throughout K-12 to do the minimum required for the grade they desire in a class. I don't blame this on the students though, I blame it on the system that allows them to do that. Is there a test on the novel or an essay or a graded discussion or anything? If not, then the students won't believe it is "worth" their time to read it if there aren't any points associated with that. Hope that makes sense.

:iagree:

Really, older students (returning adult students) usually have a much better head than some of these kids that think it's a right of passage they are owed. My parents didn't pay for any of my college, but they paid for my brother's. He felt it was his right, and the parents felt they owed it to him. He got the grade, got the degree, but did his fair share of messing around as well other than the year he spent in Kuwait. I consider school a privilege. I went two semesters last year and busted my rear making straight A's and won the award for a perfect legal term score. I wasn't going to let anyone judge me on having been a SAHM for so many years or for having seven children.

I remember in my honors class in 10th grade at school, a teacher having a conversation with my fellow students about this.

The teacher was trying to tell them that it was most important to actually learn something and not to worry about grades. The kids were trying to explain to her that if they didn't have the right grades, they wouldn't be able to get into the right colleges, and then they couldn't get jobs.

You could understand the kids' point of view. If you can't show a college proof that you're a good student (by your grades) you can't get into the college. And so on with future jobs. Going to college doesn't mean you'll be good at a job, but employers all want a college education and will toss out resumes w/o college on them....even if the person might actually be a whiz at the job and eager and able to learn it.

It's all a game. It's part of why I homeschool. I want my kids to love learning and not have to learn to play the Grade Game. And if they love learning, hopefully the grades will come naturally...plus they'll be a better rounded person.

Off my soapbox now.

Really, older students (returning adult students) usually have a much better head than some of these kids that think it's a right of passage they are owed. My parents didn't pay for any of my college, but they paid for my brother's. He felt it was his right, and the parents felt they owed it to him. He got the grade, got the degree, but did his fair share of messing around as well other than the year he spent in Kuwait. I consider school a privilege. I went two semesters last year and busted my rear making straight A's and won the award for a perfect legal term score. I wasn't going to let anyone judge me on having been a SAHM for so many years or for having seven children.

You're really inspiring me, mamaduck - my college classes start tomorrow. :)

2 comments: First, I want mykids to love learning too. But my 6 yr old is not off to a good start. I do beleive she would take the award for class clown, too cute to discipline, and talking/smiling her way out of a situation. Just Look Cute. And right now, she's using all those tricks to TRY to get out of anything related to schoolwork. Even to me reading aloud to her. I think that in the love of learning, there might be a genetic link.

Second, paying for college. I know a family who did this for the first 3 kids. They tried for the fourth, and he partied a little two much. they withdrew the funding. He went back in a year or two. His parents quietly put away the funds in a separate account. When he graduated, they paid off his student loan. But he needed to FEEL the responsibility. Feel the pain of that low grade, etc. The parents had ample resources, and felt a certain responsibility to give to him what they gave to the other kids, but they also recognized that he wouldn't perform unless he felt the pain. I think they made a great decision.

All done.

It's all a game. It's part of why I homeschool. I want my kids to love learning and not have to learn to play the Grade Game. And if they love learning, hopefully the grades will come naturally...plus they'll be a better rounded person.

I agree that it *can* be a game, but that certainly doesn't have to be true.

Kids can 'do school' and get the grades that colleges want to see, or they can do as your sophomore honors teacher suggested and really learn what is being offered to them.

My son took a number of honors classes at the high school last year and will be moving on to take AP classes in his upcoming junior year.

He didn't play the game.

Instead, he listened to the lectures, did the required reading, took notes, and did a bit of additional research or personal reading on the topics he was studying. Because he really learned the subjects that were offered to him, he didn't have to worry about his grades. He didn't get upset or feel any stress before finals. What he did was continue to get an education.

Loving learning doesn't have to be unique to the homeschooler.