Menu

Help me choose my first read a loud of the year?

LNC

We are studying Reconstruction. I thought heartwarming would be better than very sad to start the year. I have:

1. Sounder

2. 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule

3. Look Homeward Hannalee w/sequal (my daughter wants these to be readers for her this week)

So is it #1 or #2? Thanks!!

We are studying Reconstruction. I thought heartwarming would be better than very sad to start the year. I have:

1. Sounder

2. 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule

3. Look Homeward Hannalee w/sequal (my daughter wants these to be readers for her this week)

So is it #1 or #2? Thanks!!

I looked up Turn Homeward Hannalee on Amazon, and when I read this review, I thought you might be interested...

The only problem with this book is that it is marketed for 9-12 year olds, and I think it is too intense for that age group. It is "heavy" emotional reading from start to finish [full of suffering, children taken from their families, loved ones dying, etc].

In addition, there are two scenes in particular that I found troubling for such a young age group: 1) There is a scene where the Yankee Soldiers get drunk and start "forcing their attentions" on the young girls who work at the Mill. This was a very tense and emotionally painful scene, and far more than the average 9yo needs to know about evil in the world. 2) There is a scene after the battle of Murfreesboro where the two young heroes of the story come upon a battlefield scene, and it is described graphically - too much so for younger kids in my opinion.

I haven't read the book, but I like to check out reviews first to see if there might be something I don't particularly want my kids to hear/read.

Sounder is so upsetting that mine will never be asked to read it. What about a GA Henty book or something totally unrelated? What does WTM have for rec's for this section?

We finished Sounder today, and we loved it!!! It was very sad, but mostly heartwarming. I loved the bible story allusions throughout and the way one person's compassion changed the course of the boy's life. A truly great book I think, and we had much to discuss. Next, is 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule.

Thanks!