Menu

Why have you joined a coop (if you have)

and how long does it run pr. week? Does it enrich or compliment your homeschool, is it mostly for academic reasons you joined or mostly for social? Is it a likeminded group of people (philosophically, religiously, educationally) or is it a diverse group? Does the group have an ulterior purpose or is it there to serve homeschoolers? Cost? Parent involvement?

and how long does it run pr. week? Does it enrich or compliment your homeschool, is it mostly for academic reasons you joined or mostly for social? Is it a likeminded group of people (philosophically, religiously, educationally) or is it a diverse group? Does the group have an ulterior purpose or is it there to serve homeschoolers? Cost? Parent involvement?

Our co-op meets from 9 - 12 one morning per week for classes, from September - April. It is mostly for social reasons that we are a part of this group, though we have benefited academically as well as my oldest has reached middle school and now high school age. We have been a part of this group since it started 8 years ago, so for us it is like getting together with old friends each week for some really great parent-taught classes. It's gotten to be a rather large group now (nearly 100 families), and most of us are pretty like-minded philosophically and religiously, but I have a feeling we're probably all over the map educationally. Our purpose is to encourage each other in our homeschooling but also in our everyday lives. It is there to serve homeschoolers but ends up being so much more. Cost to join is $45 per year, a big chunk of which is donated to the church that allows us a place to meet. Many of the classes also carry a materials cost which varies based on the kind of class it is, anywhere from $0 - $50 for the year. Parents are required to be on-site while the kids are there for class, and must volunteer by teaching or assisting in a classroom for at least one hour. Our co-op is probably the main reason why my oldest has never asked to go to school--she has everything she needs right there.

We are in a co-op that meets 1x a week, from 1:00-3:00. At my DD's age level, it's mostly social, although it does give her a chance to do some of the crafty/messy projects that never quite seem to happen at home, and to do some neat cultural things (for example, the kids are going to have a British Tea next week, because one of the group members Mum is visiting from London-and loves hosting that sort of thing).

The older kids seem to do more academics than the littles.

I count it as school time during the week, but consider it in the same category as her dance class or group music class-IE-educational, but not core academics.

There's a large overlap between the co-op and the park day groups, so my DD gets contact with many of the same kids twice a week, which is a plus.

There's a weekly fee for supplies/materials if the person teaching needs it (I haven't bothered when I've taught). Parents rotate teaching classes, with each parent teaching 1x a semester for each child they have enrolled, and other parents assisting. In the youngest age groups, there would be two people teaching each week, while the older ones only have one at a time.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I joined a co-op because this is our 1st year. I refer to it as "homeschooling with training wheels". The co-op covers literature, science, history for all three dc. It also has programming for my eldest & geography for the youngest 2. I only need to add grammar and math. That covers the basics. I can add electives as desired. I am adding handwriting practice because they all three need it. I am also adding spelling, writing, spanish vocabulary only (no grammar), art and music. I haven't decided yet what to use for some of these, so they obviously aren't all being started at the beginning of the school term. However, we've got the basics handled and we'll add in the others as the year progresses.

Edited by dansamy

I joined a co-op last year and am continuing this year. It meets only 5 times a semester for classes from 2:00 to 4:00 PM. The cost to join is $20 a year and the cost for classes is less than $20.

The classes are a side benefit. I do it for socialization for myself and my DS. There is MNO once a month (thank goodness). We do social days and field trips. You can be involved a lot or a little. I have friends that live close by that I feel I could call on a moment's notice if I needed anything. For that very reason, it is priceless.

We are in a 'drop adn run' co-op. It meets on Wed. and we are in it because without the mid-week break, I probably wouldnt' be able to homeschool. (Special Needs, mild, but they are there!!) Since it is not a traditional 'co-op' it is a bit more expensive. I think we paid about $1,000 for both girls to take 4 classes, so a total of 8 classes. They are at co-op from 10-3:30. They have a study hall room and a 'social' room, so they are hanging out until DH picks them up at 4:30. :D

My oldest requires constant attention during school time. She has Mild Asperger's and Executive Dysfunction. If I take my eye off of her, she's lost her papers. I also have to do brush therapy 6X/day, oral therapy and vision therapy. My younger requires speech therapy. (We've done a complete round with a professional, now we just need to break the old and establish new habits). Wednesday is the day I cook, sleep and watch 'adult' tv. And occasionally, plan :tongue_smilie:

My co-op is VERY important to me. There are some things that money can't buy. Sanity is one of those things!!!

Forgot to add, we take mostly enrichment classes, but I could easily use it as 'accredited' homeschooling classes. We do Art, Mad Science, Fantastic Machines, Five in a Row, Exploring Europe, and fun, but educational stuff. NEXT year, I'm goign to enroll dd9 in the Writing Class. I just feel that grading is too subjective for me, and her. We need a neutral 3rd party for anything that is not Black & White.

Edited by cin

I'm in a PSP (private satellite program), which costs a certain amount per year per student. There are many co-op type groups that organize and run under their auspices that I have been a part of. It is a fairly large group...I certainly don't know everyone in it. They keep my records (impeccably....they have been audited before, and consistently get happy green stamps of approval), and provide oversight of academics. All of the co-op and field trip opportunities are parent initiated and run. They always say at the first meeting..."If you want it to happen, make it happen". These opportunities are on various days of the week, and I've participated in some of them over the years depending on the ages of my kids. Right now my youngest is in 8th grade so we mainly participate in PE/sports, and the high school coop. We stress parental involvement, BUT we also get qualified teachers. Each parent has to sign up to help a certain number of days during the semester. We pay the teachers approx $300 per year per student (varies by class). If we can find teachers, we have classes. I not, we don't have that class. This year the hs coop will have Biology, Am. Lit, Civic/Econ, and a couple others, I think. My dd will only do Am. Lit. Overall, my hs group has provided all of the above....social opportunities, academic opportunities, enrichment....etc. We have a statement of faith, so there is a level of likemindedness, which I like. We have standards of behavior and dress for school functions. Those on this board would probably not consider it a very diverse group, but I've made some VERY good friends, my kids have made some of their BEST friends here, it provides enough of the "school" aura to keep my kids happy as homeschoolers, and provide lots of social opportunities. We like it.

Kayleen

I'm on the board at our homeschooling co-op. I've been a member for 8 years; since dd was Kindergarten.

Ours meets on Fridays for two 10-week semesters in the fall and spring. It is Christian, but ecumenical. The classes are enrichment-oriented for the most part, however we also have a 32 week high school academic tutorial. Members may take any choice of classes; they may come for consecutive classes all day or just one or two. We have classes for all ages.

I am very proud of our co-op. It's central to my children's social life and the classes are often very beneficial. Some of the classes my kids are taking this fall: Musical Cultures, Art Around the World, Iron Chef, Ultimate Frisbee, Sports Exploration, Engineering Bridges, Circus, and Drawing. Some classes are taught by professionals; others by member teachers.

The membership fee is $50. The classes are individually priced. I usually spend $250-$350 per semester for all 3 kids to take 4-5 consecutive classes, plus lunch, for 10 weeks.

I've been in lots of coops and groups of different kinds - they've all met different needs at different times. Most I've had some hand in starting or running; I've never joined a big existing group.

When my kids were preschoolers, some friends and I started up a Waldorf/Enki-inspired coop that ran weekly for about 3 hours, and lasted till my older kids were in 2nd grade. It included a hot lunch, bread baking, outside play, inside play, crafts. It was not an academic coop, but highly structured. It was mainly for socialization purposes, and to do things that are hard to do alone (circle time, group games, fun but messy craft activities). It ran its course but was very good for the time it existed.

We were in a chorus for 7 years that functioned as a coop. I was on the board. That was just because I loved to sing with my kids. :) It gave them a great musical education and was also a great social outlet. It met for 2 hours weekly and only charged to cover the cost of music.

We've been in a science coop for years now - started in 2nd grade, kids are now going into 7th. It's just a few families (4-5) that get together for a couple of hours every other week and do hands-on science. That's for academic purposes, and free.

My older two are in another group mainly for social purposes. It's not really a coop these days - one person does most of the organizing, and the rest of us are happy to participate. That's weekly for 2 - 2.5 hours, and costs just whatever group classes the kids may take together cost.

I've never had any interest in the big local coop. It lasts too many hours and costs too much money for me to be interested for social reasons, and the classes are too random for me to rely on it for any academic content. I also don't want to join anything that meets in the morning - except for the coop we were in when they were tiny, all the coops/groups I've been in meet in the afternoon.

I haven't yet joined a coop so I'm not qualified to speak about it, but I can speak to why we want to join. (We haven't joined yet as we need to move first.) The coop is ILM Tree http://www.ilmtree.org/ and it's an Islamic school coop in the SF Bay Area.

We want to join because we are raising our children as Muslims but neither one of us is really qualified right now to teach them what they need to know. I was raised Muslim but didn't practice for a long time and am now trying to get back into it. My husband converted and knows even less than I do. So we're learning, but we don't want the sole responsibility of teaching things we are learning ourselves. While we feel confident we could teach the kids basic Islamic studies (oldest child is only 6), we are definitely over our heads when it comes to teaching Arabic and the Quran. So there's that, plus the coop offers Arabic lessons for adults, which we really need.

Then there's the social aspect. We'd like the kids to make friends with other homeschoolers and to get support from other families.

And lastly it's held on a ranch and we like the access we would get to outdoor activities such as archery and taking care of animals. We live in a fairly dense urban area and have to make some effort to access non-yard nature. :001_smile:

The pricing and schedule is complex, based on how many days, and whether you do half days or full days, and if you include private or semi-private Arabic tutoring. You can see the rates on the web site if you're interested in the info.

If you do the full-time coop you also have to work a certain number of hours depending on how many children you have in it. But you can also pay a fee to opt out, and there are classes available in the afternoon from afterschoolers that do not require work hours.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting involved. Now if we could just sell our house!

I started a co op with two of my at the local arts center. I felt like it was important to serve the community and meet more people. Our co op is very diverse and I love that. I have been able to recruit fantastic teachers and we offer a full range of arts classes - drama, basket making, yoga, chorus, painiting, pottery. We also offer academic class: science, history, and Spanish. This week we are going to start art projects to compilment history, so we are going to get to do all the messy activities in the STOW activity guide. My kids like the socialization; I like that they get to do interesting things.

My oldest attend a hybrid school two days a week. I LOVE that. It is Christian, as we are, and provides excellent instruction in core classes. So combining that with the arts co op my kids have it covered. And yes, I still say they are homeschool, even though they are in outside classes. I still have to teach my youngest dd and I still have to work with my oldest two.

Co ops have been beneficial for us.

My dd does a tutorial (drop off) one day a week which includes history, science, Latin, and math games. Here's why we love it:

-he gets to do all the messy experiments that are put in the backburner at home

-he has homework and deadlines to meet

-a solid group of friends he sees on a regular basis

-holiday parties, back to school parties, field day

-he gets a taste of a classroom setting

-we've met many great hs families

I could go on and on!! He loves it:). We are also joining a Thursday co- op where dd and both dd's will attend. I will be there to help teach as it is a true co-op. Haven't started yet, but think we will love it. We love getting together with other families. I don't really have any issues with hs styles, etc. as I sometimes see mentioned here. I actually couldn't tell you the hs styles of the other families!!!

and how long does it run pr. week? The co-op we joined meets one day a week from 9-3.

Does it enrich or compliment your homeschool, is it mostly for academic reasons you joined or mostly for social? I joined for enrichment purposes. The classes it offers are the rabbit trails I would like to have time to go down with my kids, but I don't have the time OR the energy. I joined for that reason and for the social aspect.

Is it a likeminded group of people (philosophically, religiously, educationally) or is it a diverse group? Yes, it is a like minded group of people. They do meet at a Church, the day's activities begin with a church service each time we meet. We are not of that denomination (although I was formerly) but I am very comfortable there and so are my kids.

Does the group have an ulterior purpose or is it there to serve homeschoolers? Serves homeschoolers.

Cost? $150/per child - maximum cost per family $450.

Parent involvement? Teach or assist in teachng - there is a very specific and organized schedule that is handed out. That is one of the reasons I selected this group. It is extremely well run.

My answers in blue. I wanted to add that I have always been basically anti-co-op -- just didn't want to join a group, but this particular group has such great activities - weekly and extra-curricular - that I knew it was right for us. I can actually see myself h/schooling through high school or at least giving it a try with this co-op.

I'm with Cin. I need a drop and run program to maintain my sanity! Ours costs about $200 per kid per 13 week semester for a half day of classes on Friday mornings. This semester both kids are doing Musical Theater and will perform for family and friends in November. Dd is doing art and home ec and will be sewing an apron and baking. Since my sewing skills are limited to buttons and emergency fixes, we couldn't do this at home. Ds is doing a music appreciation and a human body class with lots of organ disections. I definitely wouldn't order a sheep's brain or cow's tongue for home! All in all, I get some precious alone time and the kids get to take classes that I wouldn't teach at home or that I couldn't teach at all. On top of all that, the church where the coop is held is 5 minutes from our house. The only negative is that the coop has an explicitly evangelical SOF, but lots of Catholics and LDS attend anyway. I am careful to select classes and teachers that aren't likely to make my kids uncomfortable.