Menu

Question for those who have used Thames & Kosmos physics kits recomended in WTM

Reading the reviews it seems they are a bit difficult to put together. Is that the experience that everyone here had? How much did you have to help?

This would be for my 12 and 10 (almost 11yo). The younger is the more gifted builder, but I am concerned that it might be just a bit too much, and maybe I wouldn't be better off saving them till next round, and doing K'nex kits this time. Though the K'nex kids seem to cover so much less....

Heather

p.s. I bought the Backyard Ballistics book and that is way beyond what they can do on their own, and what dh and I really wants them pursuing at their current maturity level. I.E. if they build it now we will end up paying for some neighbors window or to remove a dent from a car, if they do it is High School at least they will be the ones paying. :D (Kids are kids right?)

Edited by siloam
Reading the reviews it seems they are a bit difficult to put together. Is that the experience that everyone here had? How much did you have to help?

I'd like to hear about this too. Some of the reviews I saw were scary!

We have four of the K'nex Education kits. Ds 10 completed all the bridges in the bridges kit and is now on his second kit. He was able to do everything himself -- directions were great. The supplemental teacher materials had more detail than what we needed, so we are using the Machines in Action series from RR (but not Amazon at this point). We also got a Nova episode on bridges from Netflix.

We used it last year and didn't find the building to be to much. My son was 11.

I did have to help decipher the directions a few times.

Here's a link to my lesson plans using the kit.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/search/label/Thames%20and%20Kosmos

I adore schedules, if we end up using them, I will use your schedule! Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a consensus yet, and I keep going back and forth. One minuet I think that I just need something they can get done on their own, and I can have them do this next time around, when they will be 11th, 9th, 8th and 6th grade. Then I think of all the extra stuff covered in the Thames & Kosmos kits that it doesn't appear to be in the K'nex and I don't want then to miss out... :D

I will have to do more pondering. Most likely I will swallow my ideals and do the K'nex route because I have too much on my plate to deal with, "Mom I need help!" alarm going off over science, and it would make the experiment part of next round nice and easy.

Heather

My ds 12 got the Backyard Ballistics book this summer. We found that the potato canon could be safely launched in our driveway. It would shoot the potato about 200 feet. It makes a whoomp sound that isn't too loud.

He also built the match head rockets. He found that there were better directions online with videos that other kids had posted on You Tube. These tiny, tiny rockets will shoot a few feet. He learned a great lesson about how wise it is to stand behind your rocket, not in front of it. This is a great thing for a boy to learn. :)

He has been working through the Thames and Kosmos Physics Workshop. He has always been an avid LEGOS builder and generally can easily put the physics projects together. His struggle has been more on the side of writing and recording the experiments as SWB suggests in the WTM. Also, it is a challenge to find texts where he can read more about the physics terms he learns about in the T and K workbook. Someone gave us an old Apologia text on physics and that has beens super helpful. The general science encyclopedia recommended in WTM has NOT been that great for us.

Several times he has indicated to me that having a plain ole boring science book where he would read a chapter, answer review questions, take a test would be much EASIER. Here is the deal, I say: The leap into sixth grade is about thinking and writing about what you are learning. So, we forge ahead!

We are encouraging him (and, yes, requiring him!) to make the leap into a willing heart that will do the written work.

I really like T and K Physics Workshop, but it is not EASY to fashion it to the science plan in WTM. I do think, though, that because this boy wants to be an engineer, that it is a good choice for us.

This would be for my 12 and 10 (almost 11yo). The younger is the more gifted builder, but I am concerned that it might be just a bit too much, and maybe I wouldn't be better off saving them till next round, and doing K'nex kits this time. Though the K'nex kids seem to cover so much less....

Heather

p.s. I bought the Backyard Ballistics book and that is way beyond what they can do on their own, and what dh and I really wants them pursuing at their current maturity level. I.E. if they build it now we will end up paying for some neighbors window or to remove a dent from a car, if they do it is High School at least they will be the ones paying. :D (Kids are kids right?)

Are you looking at a specific kit? I just purchased the Physics Pro kit but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I'm planning on having my husband do this with the boys.

Duh! I just read the title of your thread...:tongue_smilie:

:D

Well I asked them for their opinion, and they both like the looks of the K'nex models. Their was one good picture of the instructions in one of the sample photos. They do fine making things from photos, but this had them doing multiple things in one photo. They are used the Legos that will do the photo thing, but only show one maybe two steps at a time.

Anyway I figure I will have them work through the K'nex and then if we run out we can get a Thames & Kosmos.

Heather