Menu

Dr. hive - what is this? The sequel.

Some of you may remember my son - Friday night - was admitted to the local hospital for 24 hrs. of IV antibiotics for a strep/staph infection on the skin of his leg.

He's coming home today - that's the good news!

The bad news: I'm worried about myself.

Since Thursday night, I've had a "soreness" on the back of my head, in my scalp area. I've been known to get acne in my scalp, so I didn't worry about it too much. I decided to "wait and see" what happened.

It's not gone away. I can feel the lymph node at the base of my skull is a bit swollen, the back left of my scalp is tender. I can also feel a "line" of tenderness going upwards from the main area. No fever. I do have a headache this morning, but that could be from a number of things - including stress of son being in hospital and lack of sleep.

It has gotten worse each day. Not markedly so, but worse. Yesterday, it only hurt when I touched it or moved my head a certain way. Today, it hurts - dull ache - constantly.

So. . . .what do I do? I could go to a walk-in clinic (like Doc in a Box) today, or wait to see my own doctor tomorrow. I guess I'm just paranoid right now - the LAST thing we need is for Mommy to get stuck in the hospital for days. . . . . .

Advice? Experiences?

Can you call your doctor's emergency number? If you could explain the symptoms over the phone and what your dc just went through, you would probably get instructions on whether you should go to the ER now or if it's safe to wait until Monday.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Doesn't sound like much fun at all. :grouphug:

Thanks, Kelli -

Talk about a "duh" moment! I did call and describe my symptoms, and thankfully my dr. is on call today. They know me, so they'll hear me if I say, "If there's any way this can wait to be seen in the office, that would be good."

Trying to stay optimistic. . . .

Thanks, Mariann -

Ds is home and MUCH better - except starving. Hospital food is yucky ;)

Dh says the spot on my scalp isn't red at all, so I hope that's good news.

ETA: And just cuz I know the Hive is FASCINATED by my medical issues -

Got off the phone with the dr. He thinks I can wait until tomorrow - just said to keep an eye on it, and call back if things get much worse in the next few hours. So, there you have it!

Edited by HeatherH
update

Thanks, Mariann -

Ds is home and MUCH better - except starving. Hospital food is yucky ;)

Dh says the spot on my scalp isn't red at all, so I hope that's good news.

Well, yes, that is good news. Could it be from stress?

Friday morning, dd11 comes up dressed for co-op with this huge red bump right smack in the center of her top lip. We swab with alcohol and try to cover it with concealer and we go off to co-op.

By the time we leave co-op - four hours later, it has morphed into some huge zit. We use alcohol. Folks here say to use honey and tea tree oil - and we do and last night, it looks almost invisible.

She gets up this a.m. ready to go to the second day of tryouts for lacrosse - she went last sunday as well. She eats, dh and she leave, dh calls about 50 minutes later and says they are on their way home -- she is sick.

He says she kept missing shots when she got on the field and he knew that something had to be wrong. She tells him her throat is killing her. He look - her tonsils are swollen ad covered with white bumps.:w00t::w00t: She is clammy, drenched in sweat, and doesn't look good. Dh tells the coach he is taking her home and the coach agrees.

So, now I am wondering if that hugeola zit on her lip had something to do with her throat - which I know is going to test positive for strep when I bring her to the peds office in the a.m.

Well, yes, that is good news. Could it be from stress?

Friday morning, dd11 comes up dressed for co-op with this huge red bump right smack in the center of her top lip. We swab with alcohol and try to cover it with concealer and we go off to co-op.

By the time we leave co-op - four hours later, it has morphed into some huge zit. We use alcohol. Folks here say to use honey and tea tree oil - and we do and last night, it looks almost invisible.

She gets up this a.m. ready to go to the second day of tryouts for lacrosse - she went last sunday as well. She eats, dh and she leave, dh calls about 50 minutes later and says they are on their way home -- she is sick.

He says she kept missing shots when she got on the field and he knew that something had to be wrong. She tells him her throat is killing her. He look - her tonsils are swollen ad covered with white bumps.:w00t::w00t: She is clammy, drenched in sweat, and doesn't look good. Dh tells the coach he is taking her home and the coach agrees.

So, now I am wondering if that hugeola zit on her lip had something to do with her throat - which I know is going to test positive for strep when I bring her to the peds office in the a.m.

Weird! It could be something like hand-foot-and-mouth. But, from what I remember, with that, the fever comes first. Usually, older kids and adults have already been exposed to this and have immunity. However, we went on summer vacation as a family a few years ago and several of us of all ages got it to varying degrees, even grandma. We wouldn't have known what it was except that my then one year old wouldn't eat or drink so I eventually had to bring her and the pediatrician told us what it was after taking a peek at her throat.

I hope she feels better soon and it turns out to be something simple. :grouphug:

Weird! It could be something like hand-foot-and-mouth. But, from what I remember, with that, the fever comes first. Usually, older kids and adults have already been exposed to this and have immunity. However, we went on summer vacation as a family a few years ago and several of us of all ages got it to varying degrees, even grandma. We wouldn't have known what it was except that my then one year old wouldn't eat or drink so I eventually had to bring her and the pediatrician told us what it was after taking a peek at her throat.

I hope she feels better soon and it turns out to be something simple. :grouphug:

WOW -- I hadn't thought of hand, foot and mouth - we have (unfortunately) had that when they were younger - UGH!

But, her appetite has not really been affected -- (this is my dc who likes to eat - thank heavens she appears to have a good metabolism.:glare:)

I will definitely move off of my position that this MUST be strep. Thanks!:)

That is interesting, Mariann- I'll be wondering what you find out tomorrow.

My head/neck is pretty sore - but no fever, so I'm holding off and PRAYING that maybe I'll be improved in the morning.

This, after shelling out big $$$$ for my son's antibiotic. . . . . AND he can't swallow pills. We're working on that, but in the meantime it's stressing him out and he's an emotional wreck. I think it's the stress of the whole weekend - I feel so bad for him :(