Menu

Spelling rules

mamapjama

I just received my copy of Spelling Workout. I was hoping for a bit more detail in respect to the spelling rules they provide. For example, the tip states that sometimes c can be pronounced using a hard c and sometimes a soft c sound. I would have liked to have been provided with examples. Usually when c is followed by an e, i or y, it is a soft c sound. That little bit of information can be very beneficial to new readers and spellers.

Are there any books or resources that list common spelling rules like this?

The How to Teach Spelling Teacher's Manual was what I used before starting PR. I tagged the thread. You will find a lot of suggestions including free links and "The ABCs and all Their Tricks" if you click on the tag.

I like 'How to Spell'.....for learning the rules.

http://orton-gillingham.com/frmShoppingCatalog.aspx?intCategoryID=4&intProductID=25

I memorized the spelling rules from SWR and have dutifully parroted them to my son for 2 years now. We have reached the point where I just start the first couple of words and he lifts his pencil (to tell me, silently "Okay, I get it"). Kids this young don't read the rule once and have it and hold it thereafter (well, mine didn't). It has been the "pecked to death by ducks" method here.

It has made me a better speller. :)

I memorized the spelling rules from SWR and have dutifully parroted them to my son for 2 years now. We have reached the point where I just start the first couple of words and he lifts his pencil (to tell me, silently "Okay, I get it"). Kids this young don't read the rule once and have it and hold it thereafter (well, mine didn't). It has been the "pecked to death by ducks" method here.

It has made me a better speller. :)

:thumbup1:

• 7 months later...

We do not use the full SWR program, but we do use the spelling rule cards. I think they are a very helpful addition to a spelling program that is geared more towards natural spellers. I haven't figured out how to link while using an iPhone, but you can find the cards at cbd.com by searching for "spelling rule cards."

The How to Teach Spelling Teacher's Manual was what I used before starting PR. I tagged the thread. You will find a lot of suggestions including free links and "The ABCs and all Their Tricks" if you click on the tag.

I was going to recommend "The ABC's and all Their Tricks." I got a copy from our library, and I LOVE IT!!

We do not use the full SWR program, but we do use the spelling rule cards. I think they are a very helpful addition to a spelling program that is geared more towards natural spellers. I haven't figured out how to link while using an iPhone, but you can find the cards at cbd.com by searching for "spelling rule cards."

Great idea!