Menu

Homeschool to public school

HomefrontSix

We've made the commitment to homeschool our children for one year. My husband's career is in a bit of limbo and it might not be economically feasible for us to continue to do so after this school year. IF we have to put our children back in some kind of traditional school setting (public, private, etc.), what kind of documentation/grades do I need to have on hand to aid in the transition?

For the record, I plan to administer a standardized test (debating between the Stanford Achievement Test, the Iowa Basic Skills Test, or the California Achievement Test...not sure which one yet) for both of my children at the end of the year. The State of Hawaii (where we currently reside) accepts the SAT or the IBTS in lieu of the Hawaii State Assessment and the test results serve as the child's progress report as well.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations you have for grading would be appreciated! Thanks!

You need to have the test administered - many homeschooling groups frequently announce testing. If you administer it yourself, it will mean nothing to the school.

Also - have a well organized portfolio of their work, keep grade and attendance records.

I agree about contacting the school.

Here in AR, I don't think it makes any difference what records I keep or tests they do, even the required standardized tests we take through the state don't matter.

If you want to start school you go to the school and take a placement test. That is the only thing they are going to give any weight to.

If your dc were previously in school, it's a good idea to request their records. If your dc have to go back to school, you'll have all the stuff that schools tend to want, such as health records and all academic records; you will add standardardized test scores for the year you hsed (report cards wouldn't be a bad idea, either, 'cuz schools love pieces of paper, lol).

When you go to enroll them in their new school, you go into the office confidently, cumulative records in hand, and say that you're enrolling them in whatever grade level they should be in--IOW, you give yourself and them credit for the year they spent at home instead of making them repeat a grade, which is often what happens with hsers. :glare:

I didn't have to have anything to enroll my kids (any of them) in grade school, middle school, or high school when they had been homeschooled. The high school even took my word for the fact that my ds had already taken Algebra in 8th grade and allowed him to skip it and go onto Algebra 2 in 9th grade.

I didn't have to have anything to enroll my kids (any of them) in grade school, middle school, or high school when they had been homeschooled. The high school even took my word for the fact that my ds had already taken Algebra in 8th grade and allowed him to skip it and go onto Algebra 2 in 9th grade.

Yep, same here. There was no requirement for us either for our ds going into 9th grade. They just enrolled him and told me in 9th they took a standard course load. This was at a small charter school, but the larger ps told me the same. The school we enrolled him at would have taken my word whether or not to put him in Alg I or II. My ds has only been homeschooled, so he had no previous records to go by. I would contact the school and find out what they require.

Blessings,

Pat

We've made the commitment to homeschool our children for one year. My husband's career is in a bit of limbo and it might not be economically feasible for us to continue to do so after this school year. IF we have to put our children back in some kind of traditional school setting (public, private, etc.), what kind of documentation/grades do I need to have on hand to aid in the transition?

For the record, I plan to administer a standardized test (debating between the Stanford Achievement Test, the Iowa Basic Skills Test, or the California Achievement Test...not sure which one yet) for both of my children at the end of the year. The State of Hawaii (where we currently reside) accepts the SAT or the IBTS in lieu of the Hawaii State Assessment and the test results serve as the child's progress report as well.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations you have for grading would be appreciated! Thanks!

I just enrolled my kids inschool for the first time ever last week. I haven't really kept records because they are still young and we are in TX. I kinda planned on starting that in 7th grade.

Anyway, I walked in, gave them our enrollment forms for 5th and 6th, and a copy of our ITBS from a little over a year ago. No one blinked and they put them right into their classes, no questions asked. We have a very good school district, so I was prepared for some questioning, but got none.

Now, since you are in HI, I don't know the laws, so you should probably follow up with your state homeschool folks and your local school district or private school to find out what you'll need. But I hope it helps you to know that our elementary and middle school were both very positive about homeschooling and didn't question our accomplishments at all.

I wish I had had that kind of experience enrolling my DS in 8th this year.

I had to provide an IN-DEPTH porfolio, and he had to take the FCAT with them in order for them to place him in any advanced classes. I suppose if I had just let him take all standard courses, it would have been fine - but he would have been repeating his last year of school.

I am wondering if it depends on the state you live in. I have had this experience in IA, IN, and KY.

I imagine it might even have to do with the particular school district. I believe SailorMom is in North Florida, where the schools are rumored to be better. Here in St Petersburg, not one parent I know has had a problem returning a student to school with no documentation. The school accepts the parent's idea of how to place the student. Of course, our schools are so crummy, that they are just happy to have another warm body for more funding.

I have enrolled my previously homeschooled kids in ps in South Dakota and in Utah. I was not asked for a thing either by the elementary school or the junior high, I just filled up the registration paperwork and signed them up. My 7th grader is dual-enrolled this year and it was easy as pie (much easier than I ever dreamed it would be), she had to audition for orchestra to be put in the correct class since they have 3 levels of orchestra but other than we just picked what she wanted.

Thanks for the info/insight!

At this point, I am not sure where we will 'land' when all is said and done with my husband's career (gotta love the military!) so contacting a school or even a district isn't really possible right now. If we are given the luxury of finding out where we're headed with any kind of lead time, I will definitely get in touch with them to see what I need to have on hand.

It is possible that we may wind up back in our hometown and I used to teach there so I may get in touch with some friends in the district and see what I'd need to do if it came to that. I'm hoping it doesn't.

And because I'm not sure how long we will remain in Hawaii, I am not sure that we will be in a position to have a standardized test administered by anyone other than myself. I will point out to any school that challenges this that I am a certified K-12 educator with several years of teaching experience (including teaching that involved the administration of the SAT-9 exam and my certification therein) on my resume. That being said, requesting my children's records from their previous school hadn't even crossed my mind. I have copies of all of their report cards and progress reports but I copy of their official records is a great idea. Thank you!

Right now, I'm tracking only performance grades. I check off completed assignments and score their exams and it will be those two things that I use to calculate their grades for each subject. Both of them love school and do their work joyfully (for the most part) at this point so trying to grade attitude doesn't seem to be a need right now. But I am very black and white so the idea of grading something as subjective as attitude with regard to my children is tough for me to wrap my brain around at this point.

I'm documenting larger projects with my camera and keeping all exams and samples of their work from each chapter/unit/concept. That way, if I need to put together a portfolio, I can.

Thanks again for all of the help!