Menu

Dishwasher...

Our dishwasher just died (well DH killed it in a freak accident that I promised not to go into detail here on the board...)

So we need a new dishwasher ASAP.

We really do NOT want a Kenmore or a Whirlpool (these are the same brand) as we have hated our last 2 dishwashers... but these are supposedly the top consumer reports brands!--Whirlpool's electronic panel died 1 week after the warranty expired--we paid half the cost of a new dishwasher to replace it and the new one died less than one year later... we replaced that dishwasher with the Kenmore-- we've had it almost 5 years-- and it has been serviced several times--and has a problem getting stopped up... so the dishes are dirtier when the load is finished...

Does anyone LOVE their dishwasher? Washing by hand is not an option in our family.

Thanks...Jann

I have a friend who bought an LG and HATES it. She's owned it 2 years and it's been serviced twice and she says it doesn't get her dishes clean.

I have a Kenmore Elite that is 6 years old and I love it!!! The only thing that is weird is that I have to use Cascade Complete or the glasses get a white coating on them. But no problems as long as I use Cascade Complete.

Well, I'm with you on the Kenmores - our old one was a Kenmore, top rated by Consumer Reports, and I hated, hated, hated that thing. Never cleaned the dishes properly and the Sears guy kept saying there was nothing wrong with it.

We just got a Kitchen Aid (higher end Maytag), and so far I really like it. We got the entry-level Kitchen Aid - I love the stainless steel interior (much less noise, and stays clean).

Asko. We wash 4-5 loads *every* day and we get about 8 years out of our Askos. We've had four, so far. (One was sold with a previous home.) Last KitchenAid we tried lasted 2 months before the electronic controls died. Replaced and then got another 2 months. Dealer finally allowed us to swap back to an Asko since he had talked us into the KitchenAid.

Anecdotaly I've been hearing more problems with Bosch lately.

I bought a Bosch that was top rated in Consumer Reports at the time and I had 12 service calls in two years on it. The digital control unit, the pump, and about everything else internal had to be replaced, and along the way the dispenser and a number of the wire rack parts as well. My 10 year old Whirlpool that was limping along cleaned better than this one did out of the box.

The repair guys said the digital control is a huge problem because it's so costly that you can almost buy a new appliance by the time you replace it. I'd waited until this dishwasher was way on sale and took the savings and bought the longest warranty I could on it and given all the junk being manufactured this will be my game plan from now on, and we'll replace the next repair after the warranty expires. I paid a lot for what should be a good quality machine and I hate this mentality, but the pricey digital parts are a total game changer. When I went to replace a 33 year old fridge they offered to sell me a warranty to keep it running 4 years beyond the manufacturer's warrant. I was so livid to be paying $2100 plus being asked to pay more to keep it running when it was replacing a working machine that old I refused it and regreted it when the ice maker broke down the first year.

My Bosch is very quiet and I do like that. It doesn't use a typical heating system so it doesn't dry off plastics well and requuires A LOTof rinse agent. I hate rinse agent and thanks to this board I discovered that 1/4 cup vinager in a glass on the bottom rack acts like a rinse agent and is a lot cheaper. I still have to wipe off some wet spots with a towel, but I run mine multiple times a day.

I have a maytag and have not had any issues with the dishwasher itself and it's over 10 years old (came with the house so not sure the true age). I did just have a repairman out because I smelled a burning smell and it turned out to be a burnt wire, so it was an electrical problem of the house.

According to consumer reports, Bosch SHE55M1[2]UC, KitchenAid KUDS30IV[WH], Bosch SHX43P1[2]UC, and Maytag MDB8959AW[W] are top picks. I didn't include the kenmore ones since you said you don't want those.

I have not read the other replies but we bought a Bosch a few onths ago -- I bought it because a friend has one in her home (which is a $2M home) - and I was blown away by the fact that I could stand in front of it and could not hear it. The only way to tell it was on was to look at the little red light that reflects on the floor.

So we bought it - it is $1400. retail and we bought it for $999. I can send you the website if you like - we spent a ton of money on fridge, range, hood, d/w and we dealt with an appliance wholesaler who is local here.

Anyway, we finally had the d/w installed about 4 weeks ago - OMH! the glasses come out positively looking like someone polished them - they gleam. It is the most amazing d/w - we are thrilled.

I don't know what it is rated or if it is rated in Consumers, but I don't care - this is primo!

I killed the old GE that came in the house by stuffing too many potato peels down the garbage disposal. Who knew?

Your husband is going to need to be told that it is not permissible to leave us all hanging and we must now be told the story in exchange for all the valuable advice you've been given. :D

We have a Kitchenaid with the control panel on top of the door. It's awesome. It is so quiet that if I run it during the day, my DH will sometimes accidentally open it up to put something in - it's that quiet. That was important for us since the kitchen and living room are all one big room.

It does an excellent job cleaning - no need to rinse. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Your husband is going to need to be told that it is not permissible to leave us all hanging and we must now be told the story in exchange for all the valuable advice you've been given. :D

I vote he was running nude-in-cowboy-boots across the kitchen late one night to get his beloved a rootbeer, and tripped on the cat and landed a belly-slapper on the open DW. Which was full of dirty silverware.

I've had two Bosches that were quiet and well-behaved. I now live with a very noisy, low end Kenmore "grinder", and when it dies, I'll be asking here, too. Don't want to spend Bosch money.

Would not pay for a Bosch since I have 2 friends that love the quietness but they don't clean any better and both of them have had problems with the detergent doors breaking more than once. I just got a Maytag and so far so good. It does have a stainless inside which helps with the grime buildup.

Would not pay for a Bosch since I have 2 friends that love the quietness but they don't clean any better and both of them have had problems with the detergent doors breaking more than once. I just got a Maytag and so far so good. It does have a stainless inside which helps with the grime buildup.

Even after all its repairs, my Bosch can't handle powder. I have to use the gel.

Not sure how helpful this is as we're obviously in the UK but.. my folks have a Miele which they (almost!) swear by. It's quiet, well made, and seems to last forever. The only downside is that a new Miele is always expensive.

Otherwise.. we have Bosch. Even if it died today, it would have done us proud; we've had it almost since we were married and one of my sisters had it before that for several years. There are no problems with how it washes, unless we forget to put the detergent tablet in!

Edited by Hedgehog
added last sentence

Asko. We wash 4-5 loads *every* day and we get about 8 years out of our Askos. We've had four, so far. (One was sold with a previous home.) Last KitchenAid we tried lasted 2 months before the electronic controls died. Replaced and then got another 2 months. Dealer finally allowed us to swap back to an Asko since he had talked us into the KitchenAid.

I agree. Unless Asko's quality goes down, I never want another kind of dw. Ever.

We've tried other types and they are all too wimpy to handle the amount of dishes we generate.

GardenMom

Even after all its repairs, my Bosch can't handle powder. I have to use the gel.

I used half a pellet with the extra little pink or white "button" of whatever popped out, per some rep, (Cascade) and it does fine with those. Cleans well. I do pop mine open when the cycle ends and let it air dry.

If the plates are very dirty, I might add an eighth of a pellet in at the beginning, not in the tray.

We recently bought a Bosch at Sears and so far we love it. It does a great job of cleaning, is unbelievably quiet (the only way we know it's on is that is shines a little red light on the floor when it's running), and we've had no trouble with using the finish quantum packs for detergent. My glasses have never been cleaner and my new fiestaware is squeaky clean when it comes out. I thought it not have a heating element could be an issue, but everything comes out dry as a bone, even plastics.

This is the one we bought.

Jann, my Whirlpool is over 5 years old, and I've never once had problems of any kind with it. Our Whirlpool in California was over 5 years old when we moved from there, and we never had problems with it, either. Whirlpool will always be m first choice. Sure you don't want to reconsider???:D

Jann, my Whirlpool is over 5 years old, and I've never once had problems of any kind with it. Our Whirlpool in California was over 5 years old when we moved from there, and we never had problems with it, either. Whirlpool will always be m first choice. Sure you don't want to reconsider???:D

I don't think whirlpool is made as well as it used to be. The dishwasher we just replaced was about 5 years old, but was only in use for about 3 of that and although it worked ok, not great, just ok the racks all started cracking and rusting. The repair stuff didn't work and to buy a new bottom rack only was $194 plus $16 for shipping.

My dd had a Bosch. It was indeed VERY quiet, but it did not have as large a capacity as my Whirlpool. Maybe the racks in other models are configured differently than hers. Also, the stainless steel was a pain to take care of. I have decided never to have stainless because of it. :glare:

My current dishwasher is about 5 years old or less..it's a Whirlpool Gold and was the top choice in Consumer's reports at the time. I hate it. My husband hates it..wish the guy had not talked us into it. It was similiar to the one we had previous, ( purchased at the same store). Salesman convinced me my first one was a lemon and had my hubby not been so handy and done the repairs himself ( can't recall what they were) they would have given us a new one free of charge. So we bought his top pick and we hate it. Glasses are never clean...silverware has to be rinsed clean before it gets loaded.

We are getting thru this next wedding ( son #1 in March, son #2 in October of this year) and then we will be heading out to buy a dishwasher that works. I am reading this thread with interest.

We bought a Bosch about 2 years ago that I've had no problems with. My 2 complaints are that the silverware holders are a little cramped and that the cycle is about an hour and a half long. It cleans very well, uses very little detergent, and has had no maintenance problems. Oh, and the best thing about it is that it's so quiet!

In our other house, we had an Asko and then a KitchenAid. Both were great. Here, we have 2 Fisher-Paykel dish drawers that are less than ideal.

Upstairs in the "little kitchen," we have a KitchenAid, and it does a much better job than the expensive dish drawers in the main kitchen downstairs. The only good thing about them is that they hold the same amount of dishes as one-and-a-half regular dishwashers. Other than that, they're touchy, and they just don't do a fantastic job. Oh, and I hate that everything comes out soaking wet, even when it's set to dry. Ugh.

The KitchenAid works so much better.