Menu

It burns!

Oh my goodness, I can relate to that! I made 4 dozen jalapeno poppers last year for my DHs office and didn't wear gloves. I was crying the pain was so bad! I had pretty serious eczema at the time and just didn't think about what I was doing.

I found this remedy on the web and it really helped:

1) scrub your hands down with salt (I know, SALT in a cut! :crying:) then soak them in a bowl filled with milk to rinse off the salt.

2) make a plaster of baking soda and water, glob it onto your hands and put on some socks. Rinse and repeat this a few times before going to bed.

3) take some pain killer -- ibuprofin worked best for me.

:grouphug:

Oh my goodness, I can relate to that! I made 4 dozen jalapeno poppers last year for my DHs office and didn't wear gloves. I was crying the pain was so bad! I had pretty serious eczema at the time and just didn't think about what I was doing.

1) scrub your hands down with salt (I know, SALT in a cut! :crying:) then soak them in a bowl filled with milk to rinse off the salt.

2) make a plaster of baking soda and water, glob it onto your hands and put on some socks. Rinse and repeat this a few times before going to bed.

Thanks, will try.

On your skin: Water only spreads the fire so don't wash your hand until you neutralize the`heat. Capsaicin — the compound that gives peppers their heat isn't soluble in water, but chlorine or ammonia turns it into a salt, which IS soluble in water. In a little bowl add 1 part bleach to 5 parts water and just dip your hands quickly, but don't soak your hands in this solution or it may irritate your skin.

I hear ya!

Last weekend, I prepared several meals for the upcoming month and used several jalepenos. My fingers burned for three days afterwards. I didn't have any cuts but it hurt under my fingernails. Next time I'm wearing gloves.

On your skin: Water only spreads the fire so don't wash your hand until you neutralize the`heat. Capsaicin — the compound that gives peppers their heat isn't soluble in water, but chlorine or ammonia turns it into a salt, which IS soluble in water. In a little bowl add 1 part bleach to 5 parts water and just dip your hands quickly, but don't soak your hands in this solution or it may irritate your skin.

Thanks for the info ladies.

I hear ya!

Last weekend, I prepared several meals for the upcoming month and used several jalepenos. My fingers burned for three days afterwards. I didn't have any cuts but it hurt under my fingernails. Next time I'm wearing gloves.

Thanks for the info ladies.

Three days?!

I actually don't keep bleach in the house, so I can't do that. It's not burning as much now, and I forgot about it while watching a movie.

But what I'm worried about is my contacts. I have to take them out tonight, and well, put them in again tomorrow. I wonder how that will go.

Thing is, I did wash my hands, several times... I had to, over the course of preparing dinner (raw meat, etc).

It's really not bad now, just worried about if it will still transfer to my eyes...