Menu

If he is already reading, does handwriting program make a difference?

specialkmom

In looking for a handwriting program and style I've come across a lot of cursive first recommendations. One of the big reasons I've read is that it helps children with learning to read. So, what if they already read well? Does it make a difference?

I'm pretty sure I learned printing first although it may have been D'nealian. My mom said she used D'Nealian with my dyslexic older brother and he did well until my dad wanted to switch curriculum and that involved changing printing style as well (to more of ball and stick).

So, I'm wondering does cursive make a difference if they are already reading well and they don't seem to have any other issues ( dyslexia, etc..)?

I have some cursive handwriting books that were given to me and I'm thinking of using them so as not to have to buy anything else. But, I am also very interested in the Getty-Dubay style print. It seems very attractive and easy (to me at least).

Getty-Dubay Italics is attractive and also easy. It is also somewhat similar to D'nelian print. If you like it, get one of the G-D Italics books (A or B, depending on your son's age) and let him try it.

My dd's handwriting improved a lot after starting Italics. It may also have had to do with age and motor development, but my dh is convinced.

I did printing first with my daughter. I was sold on cursive first in theory, but she learned to read early and did not have the motor skills to do cursive, but she was able to learn uppercase print.

My son is just now learning to read, and I will teach him cursive first. I would do it even if he was already reading, though, because it was a struggle to teach my daughter cursive at an older age, I think it would have worked better to teach cursive first.

I'm actually going to teach them both cursive together, my daughter needs a lot of work on her handwriting, still. But, I'm waiting a few weeks until my son has learned a few more words.

I plan on teaching them 1 letter at a time on the white board, then combining strokes and words. The white board worked much better than paper for my daughter.

There is a theory that they work harder at whichever they do first (before they lose interest), so if you want them to have nice handwriting, do that first.

My dc learned to print first, in school, before I learned of this, so I don't have any first hand experience with whether or not it really works. I wish I had tried it though, because they can print nicely, but the school taught them an italics-styled handwriting that looks sloppy (it looked fine for an eight year old but immature for a highschooler), instead of a neat, slanted cursive.