Menu

What are your favorite British tv shows?

My DH and I have a 15 year standing date to watch British Comedies on every Saturday night and we rarely miss them. We watch them on PBS and rent them on Netflix. Our favorites over the years are:

Doc Martin (newly our favorite)

Vicar of Dibley (probably the funniest British Comedy of all)

Chef

Fawlty Towers

As Time Goes By (most favorite)

Keeping Up Appearances

Are You Being Served

Mr. Bean

Black Adder

Masterpiece Classics and any and all of the Masterpiece series

Larkrise to Candleford (Love, Love, Love but more drama than comedy)

To the Manor Born (brief one season run but funny)

Sherlock Holmes and any of the Mystery Series

Bally Kiss Angel

Monarch of the Glenn

Superhero???? can't remember the name but it was about an alien who was a Superhero and married an English girl and had a superhero baby

You can watch a tremendous amount of BBC in fifteen years of Saturday night dates.

Edited by Georgia On My Mind

Jeeves and Wooster

Black Adder (I watched them out of order Season 3, 4, and then 2. I couldn't make it through the first episode of Season 1 though so just skipped the whole thing.)

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

QI (I watch it on YouTube)

Monty Python

All Creatures Great and Small

Edited by mdemama
forgot one show

Jeeves and Wooster

Black Adder (I watched them out of order Season 3, 4, and then 2. I couldn't make it through the first episode of Season 1 though so just skipped the whole thing.)

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

QI (I watch it on YouTube)

Monty Python

All Creatures Great and Small

Me too! Be sure to look for the XL versions-I know Series G has them but I can't remember if F does too. Still waiting for H to come out-I know most, if not all, of it has been filmed.

I usually tend to the comedies, but if you haven't seen it, Cracker is a must. There are three series, and a final episode/movie. I think everyone has seen Prime Suspect, but if not, Helen Mirren can't be beat.

Also:

The Singing Detective

Pennies From Heaven

I got sucked into Doc Martin, and watched all four series in less than a month (and organized the whole school year while watching). :)

I love Peep Show, IT Crowd, Inbetweeners, and Jam and Jerusalem.

Shows I liked okay: Worst Week of my Life, Coupling, and Extras

I'm ready for something new, any suggestions? I'll give anything a try.

:bigear:

I have to confess: I love IT Crowd! It's vulgar and crass and...well, just hilarious. I watch it on Netflix after dd goes to bed.

My DH and I have a 15 year standing date to watch British Comedies on every Saturday night and we rarely miss them. We watch them on PBS and rent them on Netflix. Our favorites over the years are:

Doc Martin (newly our favorite)

Vicar of Dibley (probably the funniest British Comedy of all)

Chef

Fawlty Towers

As Time Goes By (most favorite)

Keeping Up Appearances

Are You Being Served

Mr. Bean

Black Adder

Masterpiece Classics and any and all of the Masterpiece series

Larkrise to Candleford (Love, Love, Love but more drama than comedy)

To the Manor Born (brief one season run but funny)

Sherlock Holmes and any of the Mystery Series

Bally Kiss Angel

Monarch of the Glenn

Superhero???? can't remember the name but it was about an alien who was a Superhero and married an English girl and had a superhero baby

You can watch a tremendous amount of BBC in fifteen years of Saturday night dates.

Great list, especially since the undaunted Mr. Bean finally makes his appearance. For years, the Saturday night Britcoms were our only TV time and it was just my dh and myself. Then our oldest heard us laughing wildly one evening and joined us for Keeping Up Appearances. Then my dh introduced them all to Mr. Bean. They still talk about the time he found the baby and used the stuffed bear for a diaper.

I'll watch anything with Judi Dench and Helen Mirren.

Not a show, but since others are mentioning miniseries, I have to add Lost in Austen to my list. It's on Netflix streaming now and is a fun must for Austen fans, IMO.

We have the same taste :). Love this one, too.

Not true! I mentioned The Catherine Tate Show :D I especially love the Aga Saga lady and the couple who are so excited about EVERYTHING.

Sorry - I missed it! :tongue_smilie:

My all-time favourite show is 15 Stories High -- yes, even over Spaced -- but it's not available with Region 1 encoding. There are a few places to see it online, including YouTube (though the video quality there is poor). Order is important for a few episodes.