Menu

First week of college updates?

Halftime Hope

I'll start the party! :party:

Dd slept 3 hours on Friday afternoon to catch up. :)

She reported getting back her first in-class essay that the Frosh English prof required them to write. It wasn't graded, but hers was one of the few around her that had *no* red markings on it. (She was so proud! If you remember, I made--yes, made--her work through several chapters of review on punctuation and usage this summer to dust off her skills...she needed it!)

She also got back a quiz with a 100% in her Intro to Christian Thought class.

She thinks only two of her classes will be really difficult. I'm thankful for all the hard work she did in her Torrey classes...that was pretty meaty reading and writing!

On the fun side, they had two casual (line and street) dances in the last two weeks...she's having a ball!

How's it going with yours?

Mine's loving life, thinks his profs will be great (after the first day of classes in each class) and informed us he's planning on running for Freshman class President next month - and has a "committee" planning to assist him.

Today I sent him an e-mail asking him to call me or let me know a time to call him, but I haven't heard from him yet. My middle son tells me he was last on chess.com at 2:47 this morning... Yeppers - college student!

My dd has a week and a half under her belt now and LOVES her school :)

Things are getting ready to really pick up for her. She just picked up two vocal majors for whom she will accompany. She has her first meeting with the first gal on Monday...for a performance in two weeks!

Meg is is a junion and is back to living with roommates again after a year of a private room. She's in a quad and so far loving it. She thought she'd like a single room but found it got lonely even for her solitude-loving self. She's working 20 hours as a Supplementary Instruction leader in her field and she just got her first choice lab internship. She's also doing research for another professor in the field of autism and policy for an extra 3 independent study credits. She's home for the weekend and we've barely seen her. She's been sleeping :D

Barb

Classes have yet to begin for my son, but orientation keeps him hopping.

So far so good with his roommate--at least as of yesterday when I had a surprise IM chat. Upperclassmen returned today so I'm sure that the campus is bustling even more than when we left on Thursday.

I look forward to hearing about his profs and classes next week.

Jane

I dropped my DS off this morning. We only stayed around long enough for DH to set-up DS router.

So far I've rec'd 2 FB messages from him reminding me not to worry and that it appears that his room mate losses things faster than he does.

Since DS room is on the top floor he has a vaulted ceiling. It really made the room feel so much bigger.

No leaky eyes here......yet.

Carole

Dd #1, a junior, is doing well and adjusting to sharing a car with her little sister on campus. She's become enthralled with the idea of taking a 2 week trip in May with two profs for a class called "Total War". They'll travel around Europe for 2.5 weeks and hit many of the major battle fields. They then come home and write a research paper and earn 3 credit hours. We haven't given her the go ahead, but she's found 2 jobs since Wednesday. :)

Dd #2 is having big schedule problems. She is majoring in nursing and minoring in music. It seems that the computer schedules all incoming freshmen, and doesn't take minors into consideration. Her schedule would have worked with orchestra, but now her Chemistry lab interferes. She can't find anyone to switch lab times with her. We're praying someone in another lab drops Chemistry this weekend. She made 7th chair out of 15 violins, which is pretty good for a Freshman. I'd hate for her to have to drop orchestra. Please pray that this will resolve for her.

Dd #2 is loving her classes and seems to be adjusting well.

My dd has been there for 1 1/2 weeks. We camped nearby, and helped her move in the first day, then came back for a few hours in the evening on the second day. We helped her set up her room, and ran back and forth to stores to get the organizers, chair, and rug that would work in her room. We ended up getting her a "papasan" chair from Pier 1 - sooo comfy!

We camped some more, then visited her again briefly to give her more stuff from our camper on our way home.

She was pretty nervous at first because she was very worried about one class. She'd APed out of the basic chem classes and physics so went right into organic chem. After the first week, she had gained some confidence. The orgo teacher is stern, but a brilliant chemist and very approachable (interesting combo). Students hang out in his office and swarm him after class. He gives bountiful opportunities for extra credit - she's already worked on three EC projects! He is full of anecdotes (she loves that) and real world applications, especially with food (loves that, too). She is loving orgo, and feels she is in the right place. Her other classes will be work, but orgo was the big one. Whew, says mom. It's hard to be a 17yo in a junior level class.

Her roommate has worked out well, and we are very thankful they found each other. They are both studious and into healthy eating and sleep habits. She has the 14-meal plan which works perfectly because she can fix something in her apartment-like dorm for some of her meals. She loves to cook and doesn't want to feel like all she eats is dining hall food.

The only concern I have is that they have a weekly hall meeting at 10:30 PM that last an hour. Her classes start at 7:40 AM the next day. I wish they could make it earlier, but she's dealing with it.

We have been very pleased with her school so far. She's happy, and that makes for happy and relieved parents.

I'm glad to hear of all the happy freshmen!

GardenMom

My son moved in week ago Saturday. We ate lunch with roommate's family - lovely people. We stayed over night in town and attended church together on campus on Sunday morning before our long drive home. He had a pretty tight schedule with required meetings that filled his time till classes started on Tuesday morning.

He was pleased to hear that he was one of a few freshmen that will be doing undergrad research in the math/cs dept this year.

This week after attending his classes, he feels well prepared and even told me that some of my pet peeves happened to be ones that his CORE prof pointed out (like using "this" with no object... well, I just had to laugh about that one). The roommate is working out well. And oddly enough, he is tutoring people in how to do laundry!

Good reports about the optional daily chapel and he is looking forward to church today - just a short walk to the center of campus.

He was glad to have some homework ... and noted that it is his first homework away from home (I miss that zany sense of humor!).

I have been very at peace about it all ... surprisingly no tears yet. He is definitely at the right place.

Mine doesn't start classes until Monday. I think things will be better for him once everyone is on campus and he is in a routine. He has auditory and sensory processing glitches, so I knew it was going to be somewhat difficult at first.

He had to go on campus with all the other freshmen on Wednesday. He texted me ALL day on Thursday and was just generally miserable. I was worn out by that night. We just kept encouraging him.

Friday definitely seemed better. There was much less texting, LOL!

We had to go there to take some things he forgot yesterday afternoon. We only saw him for about an hour as they have a pretty full schedule of things for them to do. He seemed okay.

I'm very worried that he's going to be completely worn out before classes and his swimming even get started. He truly needs 10-12 hours of sleep a night and he's getting about 6 or 7 right now because they have things scheduled so late for them.

He likes the look of his books for his classes. I truly hope he's going to be inspired by the professors, too!

I hope all goes well for all our college bound kids this upcoming school year....

My ds is a junior and I am very happy for him. He transferred to this school last year so his freshman year and sophomore year were a bit bumpy. He loves his English and writing classes. They wrote impromptu poems in his poetry class and the prof. complemented him on his. He got a job at the Outdoor Activity Center and will be leading backpacking, rockclimbing, and other outdoor trips. He is meeting lots of new friends and is finally finding his nitch. He is even much more motivated to study hard this year. (He went back to ps in 8th grade and didn't get the work ethic that many of your kids have. It may have been the same if I homeschooled him the whole way through. He's my very laid back kid.)

On the downside he got poison ivy again (had it a few weeks ago) so I am looking for natural alternatives to help him get over the itching.

Glad everyone's dcs seem to be doing well. Not such great news here.

dd is having issues with one of her apartment mates -- late hours, noise, untidyness, visitors -- you name it, they approach everything differently. They are trying to work things out, but it is hard as they are such polar opposites. The dorm in general is very noisy and dd has been told it is likely to remain so. dd has started investigating her options...

Classes don't start until Wednesday and dd is *very* homesick, I'm hoping having a routine will settle her.

On the positive side, she's into all the classes she wanted despite being waitlisted for 3 initially.

Prayers for sleep and an easing of homesickness are appreciated.

~Moira

~Moira

:grouphug: I will pray. I know things with my dd#1 and her first roommate were VERY tense for the first month. By Christmas, they were great friends. Once school got started and tests and papers were due, everyone settled down a bit.

dd is having issues with one of her apartment mates -- late hours, noise, untidyness, visitors -- you name it, they approach everything differently. They are trying to work things out, but it is hard as they are such polar opposites. The dorm in general is very noisy and dd has been told it is likely to remain so. dd has started investigating her options...

Classes don't start until Wednesday and dd is *very* homesick, I'm hoping having a routine will settle her.

On the positive side, she's into all the classes she wanted despite being waitlisted for 3 initially.

~Moira

Dd and I were just thinking of your dd today and wondering how she was doing. So sorry to hear that it's off to a rough start. Maybe when classes start, everyone will settle down and it will be a little bit quieter in her dorm.

Meanwhile, we'll definitely pray for her well-being.

:grouphug:

Kathy & dd

Is no news good news? :001_smile: Ds got to campus the weekend before classes started, had orientation for his service scholarship that Saturday, convocation on Sunday and then started classes. So I think life picked right up for him. He already had a cluster of friends at this university and has reported meeting many more students -- especially many Christians in the different campus ministries. He's hoping to be back for Labor Day weekend, so we'll catch up then I'm sure!

Lisa

One ds went back to the dorm a couple weeks ago and classes started last week. He loves his school and classes,and got the job on campus that he wanted last year. Things sound great with him.

My oldest ds moved into the dorm a little over a week ago and classes started today. I have not heard from him today, but he had a fun week getting to know his 7 suite-mates, exploring the school, getting to know the area, etc. He is in an out of state school, so the entire location is new to him. I'm glad he had a week to get situated before school started. He is a transfer student junior and his suite mates are freshmen, so I hope things work out because he needs to study, but gets distracted. I am sure that at least a couple of his suite mates will be studying a lot because one is pre-law and another is an engineering major and they seemed pretty serious about school.

Now I need to get used to having only one dc at home.

Another check-in!

Ds is settling very nicely at LeTourneau Univ in Longview, TX. Classes started last Tuesday, so he has had a full week of class time now. I need to call him or text to see how his chem lab went yesterday. His schedule is quite heavy as a freshman engineering major. He is mech eng and his roommate is civil, also with a nice scholarship, so they will both be studying lots. His roommate is nice and they share similar tastes in music. Ds is making lots of friends already - what a switch from a couple of years ago! On Sunday, he went back to the same church we had attended with him the week before (during orientation time). After church, he went with the college youth group to a nearby lake for a back-to-school / end-of-summer party and had a great time. He was actually going to go to be early on Sunday, so he must have been tired from his first week.

Orientation was a wonderful experience, and I feel that God had a special blessings for me every day we were there. Leaving Ds on Sunday was one of the hardest things I have ever done, even though I know he is in just the right place for him. I miss him! Ds #2 and I are adjusting to our new situation in our homeschool.

On our way home form TX, we stopped at Texas A&M, Carlsbad Caverns (NM), and The University of NM in Albequerque. Just launched one, and now it's time to gear up for the other one! The fun never ends!

Blessings,

April, proud LETU Mom

Maybe when classes start, everyone will settle down and it will be a little bit quieter in her dorm.

Meanwhile, we'll definitely pray for her well-being.

:grouphug:

Kathy & dd

I will pray. I know things with my dd#1 and her first roommate were VERY tense for the first month. By Christmas, they were great friends. Once school got started and tests and papers were due, everyone settled down a bit.

Thanks Leanna and Kathy et al.

dd has a lot to get used to: new country, new language, new place to live, new people. She managed to sit her apartment mates down for the talk that she's been trying to have since they all arrived on Aug 21. They got a lot sorted.

While they were talking someone from another apartment came by and heard that dd had been thinking about moving off campus but that she'd been told by the housing office that it would be very difficult to find somewhere at this point so she is going to try to make the dorm work. He said he was glad as the place wouldn't be the same without her. It cheered her up immensely.

She has earplugs and that helped with the sleeping a little, although it is really hot there at the moment so sleeping is difficult anyway. She looked much better on Skype last night and this morning. She seemed to have got back much of the confidence she'd lost over the past week.

Classes start tomorrow, finally. I hope her experience mirrors your dd's, Leanne.

~Moira

My ds is back inschool. He's loving his new classes so far, but he's sick again. He seems to get sick the first week he's in Tokyo every time he goes back. Poor baby, but he has learned to take tylenol and get himself on the train and to class.

He even applied for a job - as a teacher on Saturday at the Kindergarten next to his apartment.

A week ago we dropped DS off at college.

He has had a GREAT week and I have yet to miss him. Is that terrible? I feel very much at peace that he is where he needs to be, that he is very ready to be where he is and that life is good.

On the negative side his dorm does not have AC :ack2: and temps this past week were in the high 90's everyday and we even saw 100 here. The heat meant that DS could not sleep at night and was really exhausted. It was just too hot. Thankfully EARL broke the heat and we're back into the 70's here.

He already had one essay graded, earned a 10/10, so he was quite pleased with that. (I was tickled that he asked me to proof-read it) In his computer science class ds and the prof were chatting after class and the prof suggested ds look into a computer science internship. Don't know what that would mean but I'm sure I'll hear more about it later. He's enjoying all his classes except one. The teacher sounds awful--mumbles, stands in front of what he is writing on the board and unfortunantely the only alternative is to drop the course. That's not an option either. DS said he got himself into a study group for that course and he feels he'll have to learn the material on his own. He laughed and said that was OK since he was used to doing that :)

His room mate is easy going, same major and they are getting along wonderfully. There are more girls on his floor than guys and that's working out too. Even with the heat and lack of sleep ds has been running in the early am with other kids from his dorm. His voice or fb messages are upbeat and he seems really happy. His communication has been via a text or FB message but yesterday afternoon he actually called us to chat about his week.

Life is good.

Oh, and this is the kid who would never, ever use a day planner or an assignment book during high school told his dad yesterday that he needs one :lol: This is also the kid who constantly lost his book or calculator, or shoes, or ..... and this week he has kept track of his keys, id, phone, books, calculator,..........

DD1 has had great first two weeks. Home this weekend much to her father's delight. Biggest problem so far is that the battery on the car was dead on Friday afternoon when she was ready to leave campus. She loves her classes, professors, roommates, etc. Classes have been challenging but not at all overwhelming. She feels as though she is very well-prepared in terms of academics, study habits, and social skills. We're so thankful for the great "fit" she has found!!

I had a thirty minute chat with the Dear Boy yesterday. It sounds like his classes are off to a good start. He has a group of friends not only on his floor, but has somehow identified the other first years from the Carolinas. Because his roommate is an international student, he has also had an entry into that group of students.

On top of that, he has attended one academic club meeting for his intended major and signed up for two other extracurriculars (Ultimate Frisbee and the Bike club). With some planned physical activity in his week, I know that he will be a happy camper.

Cookies are cooling to be mailed tomorrow in a care package with some other snacks and the Funny Times.

Sigh. I am missing the kiddo though.

Jane