Menu

Calling math majors (or other such experts)

JaneGrey

I need help.

I got all As in math, taking up through calculus in high school. Then, I went on my merry liberal arts way. I don't worry about teaching my kids math, but I want to INSPIRE them to think. I've read Liping Ma's book as well as a few inspirational posts by Type H Personalities (recommended by Don Cohen of Calculus by and for Young People). I want my kids to see the beauty in math.

Anyway, I'm wondering where to go from here. I haven't used a spine with kid #1. From a very young age, he seemed to have a penchant for thinking mathematically. He'd double numbers just for fun at the grocery store. He did lots of Singapore CWP 3 (not the challenging problems sections) two years ago when he was 6. Now that I know you're supposed to use the bar method, I showed him the challenging problems sections and he did them...without even drawing anything. I still don't get quite how he got the right answers. I had to use algebra to figure it out. He used mental math strategies before I taught them to him.

Well, I've gotten to the point that I'm low on inspiration. I can procedurally teach him all the topics through 6th grade math without using a book. What I want to do is EXPLORE math with him. I don't necessarily want to rush algebra. He just tested at Saxon 76/87 borderline. (I just used the placement test as an idea for where he is.)

So, two questions:

(1) Is there a favorite math program you have? Can I start in one midway? I'm getting old and tired and I have #2 who is in 1st grade now. It would be nice to have a program that would provide the inspiration.

(2) If it won't come in a program, what should I do to foster his math exploration? Just get him a tutor?

(3) What do you do to work on speed on facts? Flashcards? I know that we need work on this, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks.

Take a look at the Art of Problem Solving books. Fun for anyone who likes to think math.

My dd12 has been working through AoPS Number Theory this summer. They say you need some Algebra to do it, but it really doesn't have overly much - exponents, some simple linear equations and some fairly straightforward factoring. Your son sounds much mathier than my dd - he'd probably love it. My dd is loving it. It's some of the most fun I've had teaching math (we used Singapore through 6b before that, which I enjoyed as well). If you're looking for something fun to do while waiting for Algebra, that could fit the bill.

Art of Problem Solving!

It starts with Intro to Algebra and they recommend it starting in 6th grade (for mathy kids). I heard of somebody successfully using Number theory before algebra, even though the recommendation is for after.

I have not seen any other math program that is inspiring and so much fun - you feel on every page that the author thinks Math is the coolest thing.

Many other programs get the job done to prepare a kid for college - but none that I know of has the kids get so excited about it.

I need help.

Well, I've gotten to the point that I'm low on inspiration. I can procedurally teach him all the topics through 6th grade math without using a book. What I want to do is EXPLORE math with him. I don't necessarily want to rush algebra. He just tested at Saxon 76/87 borderline. (I just used the placement test as an idea for where he is.)

So, two questions:

(1) Is there a favorite math program you have? Can I start in one midway? I'm getting old and tired and I have #2 who is in 1st grade now. It would be nice to have a program that would provide the inspiration.

(2) If it won't come in a program, what should I do to foster his math exploration? Just get him a tutor?

(3) What do you do to work on speed on facts? Flashcards? I know that we need work on this, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks.

I love Saxon math and my children do well with it, but I don't believe it would be a good fit with your teaching style. My suggestions would be to check out the Life of Fred math series, and livingmath.net . As far as math facts, would you mind a computer program? Vroot Vroom and Wiggle Woods from Singapore Math might work very well.

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. :grouphug: It's very nice when you feel needy.

For more background (sorry; posted in a different thread I started), here are some things I've used:

• Living Math readers
  • LOF (fractions and some of decimals)
  • Hands on Equations DVD
  • MUS alpha-zeta DVDs
  • Calculus by and for Young People. When he did the first problem, he manipulated things in his head. I had to have him explain to me what he was doing. It's like what he did with the Singapore CWP. Not looking good when he's only 8. I'm a roadblock.

Kid doesn't need a ton of repetition. I know Saxon isn't the best thing for us. When I gave him some Saxon worksheets when he was 5, he said he hated math. Away they went.

Further questions:

• I already know about AOPS and Russian Math. AOPS looked great but kind of intimidating. I was hoping to give it to him to do alone someday. Hehe. Can I really do this with him?
  • There's not much of a sample on the Russian Math page. How is it different from a standard text? Is it that the problems are challenging? Or is the lesson text special?

Thanks again! Muah.

I already know about AOPS and Russian Math. AOPS looked great but kind of intimidating. I was hoping to give it to him to do alone someday. Hehe. Can I really do this with him?

You're good at math, give it a go! Your ds sounds much more math-intuitive than my dd; he may well be able to do it on his own already. But I'll admit that I'm having fun reading through it with her. I did well in math at school, but stopped after a year of calculus in college. But when I read AoPS, I think "gosh I wish I'd learned math this way!" I'm having a lot of "oh, cool!" moments right along with her.

Regentrude said:

I have not seen any other math program that is inspiring and so much fun - you feel on every page that the author thinks Math is the coolest thing.

I have to agree wholeheartedly! I just went and bought their Algebra book to look at it, and I may end up ditching the Foerster's I'd been planning on - because if it's as much fun, I want to teach it!

Thank you to the tenth power! You guys are awesome!

Also, sorry to matroyshka and regentrude about the "duh" moment. I think my eyes glaze over when reading things online. I see that you suggested AOPS Number Theory even before I asked my follow-up question. Now that I've seen their actual sequence and list of books, that makes sense to me.

So if we hit a road bump in the year, I know where to turn. Again, to all: :grouphug:

Special thanks to matroyshka and chadzwife for their cheerleading. It has been a rollercoaster getting ready for school this year.

Forgot to say: I've got my cart open at AOPS. Feeling inspired again!

Edited by JaneGrey
add information

[*]There's not much of a sample on the Russian Math page. How is it different from a standard text? Is it that the problems are challenging? Or is the lesson text special?

I am not familiar with this particular edition but from a preview of TOC it is will be similar to the one which Russian pupils used in 5/6th grade(depending on 10 or 11 years of education) in PS. It took me 1 month on my own to get through whole book when I was in 5th grade. So, if it is doable for 10-11 years old "mathy" girl, it's doable for mathematically gifted 8 years old. It is not that heavy on repetitions as Saxons math, enough problems to understand the topic and practice. There are some extra challenging problems( book call them extra credit assignment, in Russia this problems have"*" sign).

Here is the link to publisher website:

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

An old edition( PDF version) is on sale now for $18.00

Some topics covered in math 6 book:

- Dividing natural numbers

- Adding and subtraction fractions

- Fraction, decimals, percents (multiplication of fractions)

- Proportions (dividing fractions, circle)

- Positive and negative numbers

- Operations with rational numbers

Stripe: Yes, I've seen MEP. I considered using that as a program for kid #2. (More below.) Most of all, thank you for the book recommendation! I'm all ears for any others.

Sue in St Pete: You are too kind!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else? Anything else besides books? Online courses, videos, etc? I've already bookmarked the Khan Academy. I also just bought some Zome to play with. (Heard about it from the Living Math Yahoo group.)

NEW QUESTION: On a related note, could you experts give me a recommendation for kid #2's math program? He's starting 1st grade. I've considered MEP, Singapore (Standards just because I have some of it), and Math Mammoth, but I am suffering from decision deficit disorder. I think the amount that I'm opinionated is inversely related to my age.

After using about 5 different things simultaneously for three or four months, I was just plain unhappy with the understanding my son had, although he could solve equations and therefore seemed to get it, or else was totally baffled by things where I needed a better way to explain but mine wasn't cutting it. I've currently settled on MEP. (We're partway through Year 1; I did not start at the beginning of the academic year.) I felt not quite clever enough to come up with interesting, challenging activities involving small numbers, and I've really appreciated the puzzle type problems and the varied suggestions in the teachers' materials.

Stripe, you might consider the Living Math website. Julie has tons of books listed there, which is how I've heard of the one you mentioned. But thank you for reminding me! I have lists everywhere. Do you own the book? Do you like it?

How do you use MEP? Although it is free to use, it is expensive to have printed. It wouldn't work for me if I had to sit at the computer with it.

How do you use MEP? Although it is free to use, it is expensive to have printed. It wouldn't work for me if I had to sit at the computer with it.
The A and B student books are 175 pages together for each of Y1-Y6, and should probably be printed single sided. The MEP PDFs are sized for A4 paper, which is a bit bigger than 8-1/2 by 11. Unless you really mind having the page numbers cut off the bottom, don't choose "shrink to fit" so any figures which are to be measured are sized correctly. Since each lesson only uses one page from the student book, the missing page numbers aren't a big deal. If printing at home, the Lesson Plans can be printed two per page and double sided.

Staples Copy and Print online give me an estimate for $17.50 for the Y1 A and B student pages and $23.31 for the Y1 A and B Lesson Plans, all single sided and with in-store pickup.

Interactive student pages are available for Y3-Y5 and can be done online. This is an ongoing project, and more interactive pages come online regularly.

The A and B student books are 175 pages together for each of Y1-Y6, and should probably be printed single sided.

I print them double sided. I see no reason (unless your child colors very heavily with markers) to print them single sided. From what I could tell from the MEP video about Y1, they print them double-sided as they appear to be a typical book style printout.

If printing at home, the Lesson Plans can be printed two per page and double sided.

I have been known to do 4 per page and double sided, but it's a bit tough to read! But you can often skip Fridays, as they usually say almost nothing (something like - use today to finish and review)!

I print them double sided. I see no reason (unless your child colors very heavily with markers) to print them single sided. From what I could tell from the MEP video about Y1, they print them double-sided as they appear to be a typical book style printout.

I print the lesson plans this way, but the practice pages are single sided for us. I'm afraid I have one of those kids that can really do some damage to a printed math page.:lol:

Thankfully, Walmart has copy paper for $2.50 a ream right now. It's a lighter weight paper than some, but it works for me. I also refill my own cartridges, so that's a minimal expense for me. I try to load up on refill kits when I see them on sale. I'm still using the same cartridge I bought a couple of years ago, so you can see how long they last for me. I take caution to never let them dry out. I think that's the secret to refilling the ink cartridges. Never leave your printer on when it's unneeded. It causes drying of the sponge inside the cartridge, and makes refilling and reuse almost impossible. Hope some of this is helpful in keeping expenses down for printing of these kinds of free resources.

I was estimating the cost of printing the whole thing out from Y1-6 (which is what I considered doing) or at least several years at a time. I like having future material on hand in case we move quickly and to get the big picture. The lesson plans are much longer as you go up.

Since it's for classroom use, the lesson plans are detailed with lots of activities. I found myself skipping many of them when I tried this out with #2. I also didn't have him do all the exercises. That translated into a lot of wasted paper.

I really liked some of the exercises, though. They were so much fun. I know Julie from Living Math tried bits and pieces of MEP, but it sounded so tedious to do it that way. However, at this point, I'm pretty much resigned to sifting through the MEP material online and printing out what I want.

But that's just crazy me....

Thanks for listening.