Menu

Math Mammoth v. MEP v. Singapore

JaneGrey

Can anyone compare any of these?!

I thought I'd do Singapore with my younger, because I'm too tired to do it the way I did with my older (Living Math, MUS alpha-zeta videos, Hands on Equations videos, some LOF, a little Singapore CWP 3 before I knew you were supposed to use the bar method, inspiration from Liping Ma's book, Calculus by and for young people, example from Type H Personalities blog, Saxon placement test, Singapore placement tests, etc.). I was basically "spineless." :tongue_smilie:

Then, I thought I should try MEP instead or at least supplement with it -- if I could figure out how to manage all the information. (We did some last year, and I was impressed with some of the exercises, but I need PAPER in my hands and while this stuff is free, it is expensive to print out.)

However, a resurrected thread reminded me that Math Mammoth exists. Oh, Maria. Long ago, I watched some of her youtube videos, which I liked. I am also on her email list and have all the newsletters saved in a folder. :lol:

School starts soon. What to do....

I've never used MEP or Singapore, but I have used MM. My dd went through the 1st grade series quickly at the end of last year and we are currently using it for 2nd. It is very thorough and dd is picking up more mental math than I knew at that age. It's also pretty easy to use without a lot of prepwork. I was a math ed major in college and I'm really liking MM.:thumbup1:

Yes; thank you. I saw the post before I started this thread. It wasn't quite the information I wanted, though, because I'm wondering how the programs compare all the way through. The taste you gave was too small (one topic at Year 1). :001_smile: I'm greedy, I guess!

But Flaura, I just looked at your signature. You're using MEP! Why are you combining it with MM? That's the kind of information I'm looking for. What made you choose that combo over the Singapore? Or are you thinking of switching? Btw, I'd be using Singapore Standards Edition.

Thanks for the help!

I like the puzzle type problems in MEP and since it is free online we can search around and do problems that interest us. I also like the lesson plans since they offer, in the younger years, many suggestions for activities/interactions. It seems to develop a different way of thinking about math. The kids don't think of it as work like they do MM.

SnegouchkaL:

Where are you getting Russian Math? Someone just suggested that for #1 and I only see the book from Perpendicular Press. The brief sample didn't impress me, but maybe it's because it wasn't pretty. :tongue_smilie: Can you tell me more about your Russian math? What do you like? Why'd you choose it? What was your runner up?

Flaura:

Why were you looking at Singapore? What made you choose MM as your math curriculum over MEP? What else were you considering? Did you go into MM midway? I'm very curious.

Basically, I'm trying to get my filebox ready with worksheets for #2. I'll be offline for a day, but I'm looking forward to the responses.

Thank you!

Flaura:

Why were you looking at Singapore? What made you choose MM as your math curriculum over MEP? What else were you considering? Did you go into MM midway? I'm very curious.

Thank you!

I started out with Saxon years ago and moved to Singapore for ds and that worked really well. DD is getting started and Singapore just didn't work as well for her. I am trying Math Mammoth out now and since I bought it through the homeschool co-op in the spring I got the whole light blue series. I started my son in it as well this year. We have been doing it for about 4 weeks now and I think the program is strong but the format is really off-putting for my kids. My son dreads it. The problem might be that it is so easy to have them do it independently that I am not interacting or teaching the lesson as much as I did with Singapore. MEP was added to get me back into the equation with teaching the kids in a low cost way. I think MM is a strong program conceptually and ideal for an independent worker.

I am looking to light the fire under my dd with math so that is why I took at look at MIF. I want her to fall in love with problem solving like I did back in my school days. I really like MIF and am excited to think it might get implemented in public schools. It is thorough, explicit, and the TG is top notch. I think it would be an improvement to what I saw when ds was in public school. It is really expensive for home use, however, and I am not sure MIF would take off enough with a low cost Singapore alternative already out there.