Menu

LOTR for a 7th grader - advice, please?

lyonsden5

Last year we did The Hobbit as a read aloud together. I am considering having my 12.5 ds read Fellowship of the Ring on his own this year, and use the Novel Ideas from Currclick along with it. I haven't read this and was wondering, is this something he could probably do on his own? Is it better done as a read aloud now, and studied as literature later? We haven't really done any literature study yet, and I was thinking of starting with this as an intro. Any thoughts?

It is a wonderful book and should be read for enjoyment first before picking it apart and analyzing. Depending on your son's reading proficiency he might do fine (my DD read it when she was 11 - my DS has not attempted it yet), or he might get more out of it listening to it (we have it as audio CD and my kids have been listening to it many many times since they have been 6 or 7).

Whatever you do, I would first read the complete trilogy in its entirety before doing literature work on it.

It is a wonderful book and should be read for enjoyment first before picking it apart and analyzing. Depending on your son's reading proficiency he might do fine (my DD read it when she was 11 - my DS has not attempted it yet), or he might get more out of it listening to it (we have it as audio CD and my kids have been listening to it many many times since they have been 6 or 7).

Whatever you do, I would first read the complete trilogy in its entirety before doing literature work on it.

:iagree: It's a long piece of work to keep in mind, so having heard or read it more than once is a definite advantage when it comes to thinking in structural and thematic terms. My dd has listened to the trilogy on CD and as read-alouds a number of times and has also read it on her own; now doing the more critical analysis is easy because she knows the books so well.

:iagree: It's a long piece of work to keep in mind, so having heard or read it more than once is a definite advantage when it comes to thinking in structural and thematic terms. My dd has listened to the trilogy on CD and as read-alouds a number of times and has also read it on her own; now doing the more critical analysis is easy because she knows the books so well.

:iagree: When my ds16 was 12, he had read the Hobbit and wanted to watch the LOTR movies. I told him that he could not watch them until he had read the books. :D We ended up reading them together. . .actually, me reading aloud and him listening but he absolutely loved hearing the story. He then went on to read it himself and has read it once every year since then. It is by far his favorite book!

When he was 13/14 (8th grade), I bought Lit. Lessons from LOTR and he worked through it pretty much on his own and absolutely loved it. But I honestly believe he got more out of it because he had already read through the whole trilogy twice, once with me and once on his own.

Is there only one LOTR on CD or are there several with different narrators? If several, which do you recommend?

Capt_Uhura

We have the Rob Inglis unabridged narration, which is wonderful; but there's also a dramatized version. I am frustratingly unable to figure out how to link directly to the book on amazon, but if you search LOTR audio CD, it comes up about halfway down the first page.

Also, there is a spoof, fan-written version on-line if your child is into such things -- mine is currently devouring it, laughing her head off. It's LONG... follows each chapter in the book. I can get the link from her if anyone is interested. And wait -- there's more! There's a musical version of the first book currently playing in London, and you can get the soundtrack as a CD or download. Have your child first speculate on where a musicals creator might place songs and what content they might include. And then, there's a hilarious spoof called Fellowship, also a musical, that played in LA a few years back. You can see a few scenes on youtube and download the soundtrack for that one too.