Menu

Teen Sex Ed resources?

glass breaker

Help! :scared:

I was just looking on the web for sex education websites that were geared toward teenagers. My son is now 14 and it has become painfully obvious that I need to be dishing out more (appropriate) information about sex and health issues related to it.

The social networking websites that he frequents, mainly Facebook and You Tube, guarantee that he is going to run into something that is inappropriate or that we haven't talked about.

My Google searches came up with a few websites geared toward teens, sexetc.org and realsexedfacts.com, but some of the content seems to be way too inappropriate for an 8th grader. I'm afraid that I might expose him to something that he isn't ready for by using these sites as a reference.

Has anyone found any materials - websites, books etc, that they can recommend?

Our family is using this book series: Learning About Sex for the Christian Family by Concordia Publishing House. There are 5 books in the series. They are graded by age and they have one set just for girls and one set just for boys. The third book is for ages 10-12 and it's called "How You Are Changing". The fourth books is for ages 13-15 and it's called "Sex and the New You". The fifth/last book is for ages 15 and up. It's titled " Love, Sex and God". I like the series because unlike others that I've read it doesn't explain the particulars of sex until the ages 10-12 book. My children aren't going to have much exposure to those types of things until they are older so I am more comfortable waiting until those ages to teach them about sex. If they were going to a school, I would feel the need to educate them sooner because I'd rather they hear it from me than from someone elsewhere.

Preparing Your Son for Every Man's Battle, Every Young Man's Battle, the God's Design for S3x series - they are graded by age but of course adjust up or down to suit your family, How and When to Tell Your Kids About S3x by Stan & Brenna Jones (same authors as God's Design for S3x) - those are all ones I've looked at so far. If you go to Christian Book Distributors and search "Health" or "S3x ed" and other similar topics, you'll get a load of titles to wade through.

I recommend Preparing Your Son for Every Man's Battle followed by Every Young Man's Battle. These resources are all about sexual integrity, dealing with temptations, (both offensively and defensively), etc...

If you need more factual/medical type information then I would go with Love, Sex and God by Bill Ameiss (Learning About Sex series).

I got a recommendation from someone on this board for an older book (from the 60s or 70s) called The Human Story: Facts on Birth, Growth and Reproduction. It is somewhat brief (not overly so, but not belabored) but to-the-point about the "facts." It does not include sex "technique."

I am not really sure what would be between things you haven't talked about and things that he isn't ready for, so I might not be giving good advice, but this might be helpful: http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/ .

Our family is using this book series: Learning About Sex for the Christian Family by Concordia Publishing House. There are 5 books in the series. They are graded by age and they have one set just for girls and one set just for boys. The third book is for ages 10-12 and it's called "How You Are Changing". The fourth books is for ages 13-15 and it's called "Sex and the New You". The fifth/last book is for ages 15 and up. It's titled " Love, Sex and God". I like the series because unlike others that I've read it doesn't explain the particulars of sex until the ages 10-12 book. My children aren't going to have much exposure to those types of things until they are older so I am more comfortable waiting until those ages to teach them about sex. If they were going to a school, I would feel the need to educate them sooner because I'd rather they hear it from me than from someone elsewhere.

We really like this series as well, I found it when I was pregnant with Dot, and bought the "Where Babies Come From" book for Yacko (then 7) and Wacko (then 5).

Don't know if you are UU (probably not!) but UU churches have a fantastic sex ed course for 14-15 year olds called OWL (Our While Lives) that I enthusiastically recommend. It is not abstinence-only, but assumes abstinence is a choice, and presents alternative choices and their consequences well. It too focuses on integrity, consequences of sex (emotional and physical) far more than just mechanics. Birth control and slang terms are covered, and kids have an opportunity to ask anonymous questions.

Guest Christie B.

There is a wonderful resource titled, "Questions Kids Ask about Sex" published by the Medical Institute for Sexual Health. They are a premiere organization which address sex, relationships and other high risk issues facing our young people today. They give honest insight and medically accurate information while promoting sexual integrity (abstinence until marriage). I have included their links.

http://www.medinstitute.org/

http://www.amazon.com/Questions-Kids-Ask-about-Sex/dp/080071878X

We had to deal with this just recently as my son was "looking" for answers to his questions on the computer and we realized we needed to have a talk. However, he didn't really want to hear it from Mom and Dad so we checked out some books from the library. I can't believe how IN DETAIL some of these books go and they are geared for tweens and younger teens!!! We wanted something that offered info but not so much! Check your local library but I suggest that you first read them yourself and see how much is too much for your child!

We had to deal with this just recently as my son was "looking" for answers to his questions on the computer and we realized we needed to have a talk. However, he didn't really want to hear it from Mom and Dad so we checked out some books from the library. I can't believe how IN DETAIL some of these books go and they are geared for tweens and younger teens!!! We wanted something that offered info but not so much! Check your local library but I suggest that you first read them yourself and see how much is too much for your child!

:iagree:This holds true even for some of the books from Christian publishers. It's not presented in a bad way; I just don't feel my 9 y.o. has any use for the knowledge of such specifics.

Thanks to everyone that posted.

We have a secular perspective so some of the suggestions probably won't work for us but I've reserved copies of some of the books from our library. I won't hurt to check them out.

I gave him a boy's health book at the end of last year and was a little surprised about all of the details that the book revealed.

Kids Health.org has some great resources for all health topics and I did check that out. It's a starting point.

Our family is using this book series: Learning About Sex for the Christian Family by Concordia Publishing House. There are 5 books in the series. They are graded by age and they have one set just for girls and one set just for boys.

I use this series as well. The tone is really, really good--warm, Christian, conservative, "this is a great gift of God"--those are the 'sense' of the series. The older ones are unisex, so I have not seen the newer ones that are gender-divided, but I have seen two editions of the older ones and they are both like that. My view is that getting their first with my version is the best possible thing.

I gave him a boy's health book at the end of last year and was a little surprised about all of the details that the book revealed.

Indeed.

I do like The Human Story, but I would be surprised if it presented any new information to your son, given that he's 14, unless he's very innocent. I think that book is better for a younger audience.

Thanks to everyone that posted.

We have a secular perspective so some of the suggestions probably won't work for us but I've reserved copies of some of the books from our library. I won't hurt to check them out.

I'm glad you said whether you wanted Christian or not because my husband did a great program with my 12 year old going on 13 year this past summer. It was very thorough and answered a lot of questions. I think what help him was if there were questions that came up that were uncomfortable the program answered it. My husband taught it to my son.

Blessings,

Karen