Menu

i can NOT get up in the mornings

chadzwife

becuz i can NOT get to sleep at nite.

I am a nite person and I am most definitely not a morning person. Sometimes I battle mid-nite insomnia also (up from 2-5am). This is generally when I am able to get to sleep before midnite. So even if I do get to sleep earlier, I won't get any more hours in and still won't be able to get up in the morning.

I am at my wits end!

I do look at it like a job (ya just gotta do it, Hélène) but even my job I work 2nd shift becuz I'm not a morning person lol.

I need to go to sleep around 9.30 or 10p if I'm getting up in the morning before 8 or 8.30a. (the earlier it is I have to get up, the more sleep I need to be able to do it) Ideally I would go to bed at 3a and get up at 9.30 AND then have the kids sleep another hour or so, so I could be mentally/emotionally ready for them. Yeah, it ain't happenin' lol.

I don't drink caffeine after 6p and don't drink it at all alot of days. I get exercise (walking). I am loathe to start a sleeping pill but I am that desperate. I need to be getting up like 7a at tops (6.30 even better) or our whole routine is out the window as the girls get up at 8a. When I am dysfunctional till 11a or noon it doesn't cut it for HSling.

How do women go to sleep earlier when they're not sleepy???

(I know alot of women are always sleepy on this board--babies and/or many children and/or a farm/home biz--and wish they could stay up later! my hearts go out to you, I've been there too)

Thanx <yaaaaaawn> :)

There was a thread on the general board last week about the same thing -- it is apparently a very common thing. I can only get to bed at a decent time if I am flat out, falling on my face exhausted. Otherwise, I prefer to stay up for hours until it is way past 1 or 2 am.

Exercise (really strenuous), running, going to bed the instant I feel sleepy (instead of sitting and waiting for the feeling to pass) have helped a little.

I do find it interesting that left to my own devices, I will awaken on my own between 8 and 9am. Yesterday, we had to be at co-op at 9am and it was a 45 minute drive. I was easily able to get up with the alarm at 6am and I felt great. go figure.:001_huh: I did go to bed the night before at 10:30. I didn't fall asleep right away, but I did make myself get into bed.

I'm a night owl as well. I don't go to bed until around 1:30 and try to get up at 8. I'm always tired. I have thought about trying sleeping pills but I'm going to try the natural route first. Chamomille tea, Valerian, and Melatonin are all natural rememdies. You can find all three at Whole Foods or your local vitamin store. There have been times where I've fallen asleep around 11 but then I wake up a couple of times during the night. I feel like I never get enough sleep.

We sleep late because dh works 3rd shift, so ideally everyone sleeps until 9 or 9:30. It could even be later, but I am a morning person, so if we don't get started by then then I am losing it by the end of the day.

Around here if you get up before 9, then you have free time. As long as you don't wake up babies or dh, or make a huge mess in the kitchen then you can do what you want. Which for my boys means video game ;)

I am often up by 7:30 or 8, but it is still my free time. If you are going to start bugging me then you can start school. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think it is unrealistic to expect your kids over about 7 or 8 to play quietly and nicely for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day. Many people do require this in the afternoon, but if you need it in the morning than that should work too. Get cereal or oatmeal and make it so they can pour the milk and put thier dishes away and even those that need to eat early can take care of themselves.

When do your kids go to bed? I figure on a 9 am wake up and count backwards from there. I think my 4yo needs about 12 hrs, my 9 and 10 yos need about 10 1/2, and my 14 needs 9 hours. So they go to bed at 9pm, 10:30 pm, and midnight. I do usually go to sleep before the 14yo, but I wake up earlier too.

Edited to add: For some of my kids and for myself, if we want to sleep late (and yes 8:00 is late for me) then we have to have very dark rooms. Since dh sleeps all day my room already has the windows covered and the two littles sleep in there, but until very recently if I wanted the boys to sleep past 7 or 8 they had to have a dark room too.

Edited by Mallory

I just don't sleep much- never have. It actually runs in my family. However, I don't often feel sleepy. Anyway, of my 3 sons only the oldest doesn't sleep.

My dh leaves for work at 8:30. Usually we are both up by 7:30. I don't wake the kids until after he leaves and I've finished my coffee.:D

Also, we didn't want to start fall school year bedtimes until my oldest left for college. He left last Saturday, but middle and little still stayed up until 2am or so all this week.

This works for my dh and I. We have our alone time in the mornings and family time at night. So, our house may still be quite loud at midnight, but all the kids may still be asleep at 10am.

Just because some other families wake before the sun and tuck their tots in bed no later than 8pm doesn't mean you must do the same.;)

Mandy

This is my life. DH thinks I need to do a sleep study because I just can't seem to get to sleep and if I do stay asleep. I am very comfortable going to bed around 1am and sleeping until 8 or 9. If I try and go to bed earlier, than I am up at 3 and awake until 5. I just can't seem to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. I have been taking trazadone the last several months and it has been working well to keep me asleep. I just don't want to depend on it for the long term. I took a week off of it a couple of times and I was back to fighting to stay awake during the day again.

My boys and I just aren't early risers and that's just how it is. I have gotten past the NEED to get up before dawn just so I can make myself feel better.

I was trying really hard to get up earlier than my kids (I even forced myself to get up at 5:30am to go walking with a friend for a few weeks), but I think some of us are just designed to work the swing shift. :tongue_smilie:

Here's one article I read when I was working on it. The tips about not being on the computer at night and going to bed when you first feel sleepy were helpful. OTOH, I don't like giving up my time with DH at night, and I found that going to bed early was cutting out about 2 hours of our quality time each night. It wasn't worth the trade off for me.

As it is, now I'm in bed about midnight and up about 8. The kids get up about 8 too. I get things ready at night so the mornings go better.

I could prob get up also if I just hadda to go co-op and not be the one doing stuff with the girls lol. But dinner that nite would very iffy and I would be cranky by 2p.

Maybe I should just do coffee from 6a till noon and that would fire me up and keep me going...?

And I have tried valerian and chamomile. Doesn't do a thing for me. Unfortunately <sigh>.

That's very true, Mandy--but they won't sleep past 9a even if kept up til midnite. (oh yeah, I have tried EVERYthing lol) And they want to be done by mid afternoon. And keeping them up late means that much longer I crave to up ALONE and then that much later in the morning I need to sleep...vicious circle.

Becuz I'm usually disoriented from tiredness, doing stuff at nite consistently doesn't happen either.

I'm not being consistent at all really and that's the problem. I am setting bad habits for one. And they retain little cuz it's hit and miss.

Trazadone...option A lol

Sleeping pills have never worked well at all for me. I sleep about 2 hrs and wake up. I'm worried something strong enough to work would make me regret it during the day. I've heard about this from friends.

Which would kinda negate taking the stuff to begin with. I'm not insomniac left to my own devices lol. I have been insomniac and that's a horrific experience. Never did the Rxs then either but now I wonder if a month or so on it would regulate my clock so I could get up early and have their focused learning outta the way. Esp since I have to leave for classes at 11.30a starting day after Labor Day. Not every day but several days a week and I work PT too so those days I can't be lollygagging either.

Yes, way too much on my plate but it's how it is...must be a solution to my messed-up-for-this society circadian rhythm.

I'm going to try the no pc after 9p also and walk faster (can't run bad knee). Maybe stay off the stinkin pc altogether at nite!

Hey I could read, that always puts me to sleep lol. Just need to stay asleep...

Melatonin has been a lifesaver for me. 3mg timerelease before bed and .5 mg sublingual if I happern to wake up at night (rare nowadays). Check into adrenal fatigue. Being a night owl and not fully functioning till later in the day are classic symptoms. I'm getting my cortisol levels tested soon. The test is only $100. My ND is expecting my levels to be very low! We shall see. Adrenal Fatigue in the 21st Century= an eyeopeing book!

I read that link to the polyphasic guy and I have read him b4! I must have been googling insomnia at one point lol. I thot about doing this even, since I should be able to push the naptime reqt sometimes-- to fit around classes or even maybe the kids, but at work I work 9hrs, period.

And naps during the day are very hard for me to wake up from. VERY hard. Have u tried this at all urself? I would like the extra time at nite, it wouldn't bother me as I have homework or cooking or cleaning or SOMEthing I could do and I wouldn't mind 20hr days either lol. Moms never have enough time. We don't need friends to hang with, we need more time in the day! Guys just don't get it lol.

But I know, I am pretty sure, I need more than 4 hrs sleep a day, not matter how you slice it (up).

I've read Edison napped during the day also and stayed up into the wee hours nightly.

Ideally I think I would sleep 4am to 9am and then nap 7pm-8.30pm. Cuz I'm a genius must be ;).

Really? Melatonin really works that well for u? I've never heard anyone say it works but in the least way.

What I would give to have something I could take so I can go back to sleep!!!! I could go to bed at 9.30p and know at 2a I could go back to sleep till 6! WOWOWOW

No money for the ND tho. Or $100 tests. Hence the aforementioned school for mommy lol.

trazadone is not a sleeping med but a med for depression and anxiety, we just use it for sleep and then it helps me in other ways. I also am getting my master's in counseling. I don't have to "go" to classes because I do it all online, but it is harder. They cram 16-17wks worth of work into 8wks, so the nitetime is when I get my schoolwork done.

We all aren't made the same and if sleeping in later and taking a short cat nap is what does the trick than do it. I have found that if I sleep much over an hour I can't seem to get up from a nap, so I make myself get up.

I could prob get up also if I just hadda to go co-op and not be the one doing stuff with the girls lol. But dinner that nite would very iffy and I would be cranky by 2p.

Maybe I should just do coffee from 6a till noon and that would fire me up and keep me going...?

And I have tried valerian and chamomile. Doesn't do a thing for me. Unfortunately <sigh>.

just to clarify, co-op is 9 till 3 and I teach 2 classes and participate (mandatory) in a women's group. When the kids and I get in at 3:45ish, we have mandatory quiet time till 5 (mandatory quiet time means you must be quiet and you must leave mom alone). At 5:30 I get dinner ready.....oh, and I would not be able to do a single bit of it without massive amounts of coffee. In fact, when we got in the door yesterday, quiet time was spent by me drinkng two cups of coffee.

I don't like melatonin - gives me odd dreams -- going to bed the instant I feel sleepy and not waiting till the feeling passes so I can stay up, seems to help most.

It's difficult and I truly enjoyed reading the posts from those who have alternative schedules - I applaud you!

Oh yes, as many classes online as possible, fo' sho'. but some must be taken there, I've chosen something that has on-campus only classes too.

Maybe I just need Trazadone, period. I know it's an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. Maybe that's my prob, really... hmmmmmmm...

Really? Melatonin really works that well for u? I've never heard anyone say it works but in the least way.

What I would give to have something I could take so I can go back to sleep!!!! I could go to bed at 9.30p and know at 2a I could go back to sleep till 6! WOWOWOW

No money for the ND tho. Or $100 tests. Hence the aforementioned school for mommy lol.

Well I've only heard one of many that it hadn't worked for! If your not deficient it won't work for you. Don't know if this is okay but here's a link to a melatonin thread on my favorite health site. A few encouraging testimonies! It's worth a try and CHEAP if it works for you.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,23334.0.html

Oh, I wanted to mention that natural progesterone cream has helped many, many ppl finally sleep and stop depression in it's tracks. You can buy it over the counter and find dosages online to see if it works for you. I recommend getting a hormone test ideally, but experimenting yourself is okay. If you try it make sure to get a quality brand. Dr. Lee who wrote What Your Dr. Won't Tell You About Menopause (or something similiar) has a website with recommended brands and I think dosages.

I used progesterone a few yrs ago and was soooo excited to think it was going to make me sleepy and/or sleep well besides!! Seriously I was.

It worked for getting my cycles good and then conceiving and then not miscarrying but I never slept any better. Depressin' lol.

I should know when sleeping meds don't but barely put me to sleep and if I'm having an insomnia episode, I wake up BAM in 2 hrs--that nuttin's gonna whack me out cold for 7 hrs but the big guns; nothing natural that works with ur body anyway. This poor body's all messed up I guess.

I may still go price melatonin tho. Taking herbs and whole food vitamin and minerals at high enough doses/times per day is always my prob, that's always pricey. Progesterone was like a life or death thing, as in the baby would be miscarried again. Am *I* worth it? Yeah, I know it's how to look at it...esp since others are compromised by my compromise...

Google, Here i come lol

becuz i can NOT get to sleep at nite.

I am a nite person and I am most definitely not a morning person. Sometimes I battle mid-nite insomnia also (up from 2-5am). This is generally when I am able to get to sleep before midnite. So even if I do get to sleep earlier, I won't get any more hours in and still won't be able to get up in the morning.

I am at my wits end!

I do look at it like a job (ya just gotta do it, Hélène) but even my job I work 2nd shift becuz I'm not a morning person lol.

I need to go to sleep around 9.30 or 10p if I'm getting up in the morning before 8 or 8.30a. (the earlier it is I have to get up, the more sleep I need to be able to do it) Ideally I would go to bed at 3a and get up at 9.30 AND then have the kids sleep another hour or so, so I could be mentally/emotionally ready for them. Yeah, it ain't happenin' lol.

I don't drink caffeine after 6p and don't drink it at all alot of days. I get exercise (walking). I am loathe to start a sleeping pill but I am that desperate. I need to be getting up like 7a at tops (6.30 even better) or our whole routine is out the window as the girls get up at 8a. When I am dysfunctional till 11a or noon it doesn't cut it for HSling.

How do women go to sleep earlier when they're not sleepy???

(I know alot of women are always sleepy on this board--babies and/or many children and/or a farm/home biz--and wish they could stay up later! my hearts go out to you, I've been there too)

Thanx <yaaaaaawn> :)

it is a matter of discipline, as much as i hate to say it. i have started taking melatonin before bed when i can't get to sleep, and that helps a lot. i've been working on it all summer, and now i can get up at 6:00 or 6:30 without a problem. i've also learned how to power nap--something i've never been able to do. i'm happy to say that i think i have successfully converted myself into a functional morning person, and am growing to appreciate and even enjoy "the other side."

Most nights, I have trouble sleeping. Thank goodness I am finally done nursing, because it is much worse when I am. A couple times a week, I take a half a dose of Benadryl, which puts me out for the whole night. But if you take it more often, your body will adapt to it, and it won't work anymore. But at least I get a good night's sleep occasionally with it.

i wonder WHY i can sleep soooo good btwn 7 and 11a???

wat is U.P. with that?!?!

exhaustion finaaaaaally kickin in?

just the naughtiness/thrill of it?

i would just really like to know---if i'm allowed to sleep then (yeah 3x a yr lol) i have a GREAT day, not tired--even if i only slept 2 hrs besides that and prowled all nite long insomniac... <sigh>

I've been battling insomnia for 11 years now. If I take melatonin (or even ambien) at 10pm, I am awake by 1:00 or 2:00 and cann't go bacl to sleep.

A few things, though:

Exercise before noon

No coffee or caffeine after 2pm (6pm is way too late)

Do not drink after 7pm (anything - even water)

No alcohol - it may make you sleepy at first - but then you wake up and can't fall asleep

No matter how bad it feels, get up at 6am everyday. Sleep in on the weekends if you need to, but 6:00 am every day

No TV or Computer an hour before bed. Reading is fine.

Eat a dinner low in carbs no later than 6:30

This helps - a little anyway. I think I am programmed for the late shift as well, adn my best sleep is between 5am and 9am.... wish the rest of the world worked that way:tongue_smilie:

I can sleep wonderfully on Sunday afternoons for about 3hrs. I don't know if it's because I make a huge Sunday lunch for us after church or what it is.

I did take 18mg of melatonin last night and it did nothing for me except keep me asleep from 10:30-12:10, after that I was up and down all night. UGH!!! I am off to go get my trazadone script at Wally World. I am sure to sleep well tonite at least for 6hrs.

I can sleep wonderfully on Sunday afternoons for about 3hrs. I don't know if it's because I make a huge Sunday lunch for us after church or what it is.

I did take 18mg of melatonin last night and it did nothing for me except keep me asleep from 10:30-12:10, after that I was up and down all night. UGH!!! I am off to go get my trazadone script at Wally World. I am sure to sleep well tonite at least for 6hrs.

The melatonin HAS to be time release to keep you asleep all night. Also, some ppl find they can't sleep on high doses but do great on lower. 18 mg is a really big dose! I would start at 3mg of a time release version and then go up as needed..within reason!

This is where and what melatonin I buy. If you read the reviews you'll see that others have had success with the time release but not otherwise.

http://www.iherb.com/Natrol-Melatonin-TR-Time-Release-3-mg-100-Tablets/22708?at=1

"This really does seem to be released over 8 hours, as the packaging states. I can recommend this for people who find that ordinary melatonin gets them to sleep, but they may still wake up before they would like to."

I've gone through patches of not being able to sleep properly and it's so frustrating. You lie in bed, wide awake for what seems like hours, and then you're totally bushed in the morning when you have to get up to be with the kids.

These days I take a herbal tablet when I need it which seems to get me to sleep pretty easily and stay asleep. It's truly changed my life - and the life of my dc as well! I really hope you find something that works because it's very hard to cope with.

The melatonin HAS to be time release to keep you asleep all night. Also, some ppl find they can't sleep on high doses but do great on lower. 18 mg is a really big dose! I would start at 3mg of a time release version and then go up as needed..within reason!

I am medication resistant so 18mg is low dose for me. I have been on so many meds for so long that low doses don't do a thing for me at all. I tried going back to 3mg about a month ago and I never slept at all. Then we increased it to 6mg and the same thing happened. My doc (who is also a homeopath) decided that I am just resistant to it now.

I have always had this problem. I can go for a week getting up early, but I'm still not able to go to sleep at a normal hour. So, instead of resetting my internal clock, I just get exhausted. The one thing that has helped me majorly is hypnosis, via Hypnobabies. I used Hypnobabies for my last birth, and I plan on using it again. Aside from their birthing scripts though, they have two for getting a person to sleep. One is developed for pregnant women and the other for anyone. I've been using the pregnant one for about 3 months now, and its the only way I can get to sleep before 3AM. It was well worth the $16 I spent on it. I plan on downloading the other track as soon as the baby is born. http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058#peaceful

I haven't read any of the other replies so forgive me is I'm repeating what others have said.

One thing that comes to mind is that caffeine, now that I'm older, seems to affect me for days. Sadly, this includes eating too much dark chocolate too close to bed or even throughout the day. Even coffee seems to disrupt my sleep for a couple of days. While I only drink alcohol about 1-2x/year, Dh and I celebrated our new house w/ some champagne one night and then I had a glass of wine another night. Both nights, I was wide awake at 2am. Same thing happened again a few nights later.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing chadzwife? Hope your hanging in there and most of all getting some sleep! I wanted to post this here from the general discussion board because I recommended a brand that I tried recently on this thread that did not work for me. Ugh. Sorry! I'll change that link. Another poster vouched for the Source Natural brand on the thread below.

Just wanted to add that try to get a good brand. I recently tried a new one to me because it was less expensive and it's not working. :glare: Source Naturals is a tried and true brand here. Def. get a time release version.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals...lets/1307?at=0

One thing that is mentioned in a review in the above link is that a woman feels she looks better/younger when getting sleep/taking melatonin. I can attest to that! Def. something to that "getting your beauty sleep".

I take this sublingual if I happen to wake up at night. It helps get me back to sleep quickly.

http://www.iherb.com/Nutrition-Now-M...abs/18204?at=0

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209185

This is where and what melatonin I buy. If you read the reviews you'll see that others have had success with the time release but not otherwise.

http://www.iherb.com/Natrol-Melatonin-TR-Time-Release-3-mg-100-Tablets/22708?at=1

"This really does seem to be released over 8 hours, as the packaging states. I can recommend this for people who find that ordinary melatonin gets them to sleep, but they may still wake up before they would like to."

Well it won't let me edit. If you're interested ignore this link and look at the one above.