Menu

Dual Enroll students and universities...

Guest KaciMI

Guest KaciMI

Is it true that if a student has too many credits, say over 28, that they are not eligible to stay in the dorms? My daughter is dual enrolling and I still want her to transfer to a university later. This all new to me, so sorry if I'm misinformed.

You should probably ask this question of each of the unis to which she is applying.

Some schools have horrendous housing shortages and can only guarantee on-campus housing to freshmen. Certain urban schools will promise four years of on-campus housing in order to make their programs more affordable (in places like New York or Boston where rent is more than students can bear). My son's liberal arts colleges promises four years of housing as a draw for students who wish to be a part of a college community for their undergrad years.

This really is a case of "it depends".

I don't know in general but I can tell you what happened with my oldest son. He decided late on where he wanted to go so the dorms were full and the waiting list a mile long by the time he did. However we found a program conducted by the school soley for students with NO college credits. They were placed in dorms normally used for 3 students except only 2 were put in each room. They were grouped together for some of the 101 classes so they would have an immediate support system in place. It was wonderful! Some of the books he needed were sold out so he was able to share with other kids until he could get his. He had a study group already in place. And he didn't feel overwhelmed by living in a crowded room. It honestly could not have worked out better and all because he had no college credits under his belt. Weird, huh? It does make me wary about dual enrolling my youngest but I still probably will. I know plenty of kids who were dual enrolled who have found dorms without a problem.

It will depend upon the schools she's interested in. The one our oldest attends the freshman are required to live in on-campus housing unless they are married or living w/ parents. After that they aren't guaranteed on-campus housing as it depends upon enrollment. His sophmore year he didn't get housing. A friend of ours wasn't happy at her dd's college bec even though she got into on-campus housing she was placed w/ older students at 17 because of the number of credits she had already earned.

As the others said, it depends on the university.

The schools my dc applied to and attend provide housing. At my ds's school, students under age 20 are required to live on campus or at home with their parents. That is a significant portion of freshmen and sophomores, and some juniors. Most seniors who want to live on campus can, but it is not guaranteed. There is enough housing at my other ds's school. One school my dd is looking at requires freshmen to live on campus, but doesn't guarantee housing to sophomores - seniors. However, because she is a transfer student, an 18 yo junior because of dual enrollment courses during high school, the admissions counselor said that they would house her on campus because of her age, even though she will be a junior. They said they make exceptions based on the age of the student even though the policy may differ.

Anyway, only one out of all the colleges my dc looked into did not guarantee students housing on campus. It might vary by area of the country, though. I would not allow that to stop my dc from taking dual enrollment courses if they want to.